Possibly retarded question..

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Because it'd take a lot less time and effort?
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

Doog wrote:Because it'd take a lot less time and effort?
you have no idea how lazy i am.

also, you'd be able to freak people out real good.
everything is not going to be alright
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Haha, no- I meant change the pickup around by hand as opposed to wiring it, to save time and effort. The polepieces on the inner coil aren't staggered or anything, and the polepieces on the split coil are adjustable- one of the reasons I wanna stick with that coil.
luke

Post by luke »

Didn't Hendrix keep his pickups the wrong way round so he could get the extra bass on the high strings and extra treble on the low strings? If you can put up with that (in the event that your coils are wound asymmetrically), then go for it. It might not even make a difference.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Malik wrote:Didn't Hendrix keep his pickups the wrong way round so he could get the extra bass on the high strings and extra treble on the low strings? If you can put up with that (in the event that your coils are wound asymmetrically), then go for it. It might not even make a difference.
Yeah, but Strat bridge pickups are angled, so that'd work- I'm talkin about a straight bridge 'bucker.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Haha, I turned the bucker around anyways. Sounds gewd, a little clucky, a little like the 4 (or is it 2?) setting on a Strat.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

wow, i wasted probably about 35 brain cells that i'll never have again in the time it took me to type all that and mentally work through it to check i was right.

good job!

:D
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Haha, sorry dude.. halfway through the thread, I took the back off and realised there was loads of slack on the cable..

Thanks a lot of the help though, I'm sure it'll useful down the line for me or someone else.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

;-)

np
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

when i had an old dimarzio humbucker, it had 12 adjustable pole pieces ( a buddy of doogs has it now), and i had it so the slug coil was closest to the bridge and it sounded great. this was quite a while ago, so perhaps it was a case of inexperience.
Shabba.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

bob wrote:when i had an old dimarzio humbucker, it had 12 adjustable pole pieces ( a buddy of doogs has it now), and i had it so the slug coil was closest to the bridge and it sounded great. this was quite a while ago, so perhaps it was a case of inexperience.
There was a coilsplit on that Musicmaster?

The pickup may have been a bit further away from the bridge, so less thinness.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Malik wrote:Didn't Hendrix keep his pickups the wrong way round so he could get the extra bass on the high strings and extra treble on the low strings?
nope, he kept them the wrong way round because he was using a righty strat strung lefty. the only reason there'd be a slight difference in sound is that the staggered polepieces are now on the wrong strings. but that's not a "whoa, more bass!" difference.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

i oculd have sworn somebody asked htis questio n before and i said turn the humbucekr around. FIND IT ON TEH INTERNETZ!
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Great minds think alike.... and are lazy.

I'll do some samples later for any interested parties.