Experiment

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I'd need to set up my Marshall really- the digital amp modelling stuff I have to hand doesn't clean up too great with the guitar's volume control, not ideal for squeezing out as many tones from one amp setting as possible.
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

Blazin420ChronicSkunk wrote:Bronco -- Twin Reverb. Playing Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue.
Very cool!

This kind of EggSpearmint was one reason I bought my second Musicmaster after getting all I Was A Teenage Guitar Scientist on my first one with pups & switches. With the second MM, I wanted to see what variety of sounds I could get with just the one pickup and two knobs. Later when I went all Wannabe Amp Scientist on my Twin Reverb, I used the stock Musicmaster to test various mods and really got into the git-cable-amp thing with nothing else but some amp reverb.

It did help that I jacked the power tube bias up a bit, and that added some natural compression and made individual notes really jump out. It's cheating, but with some amps adding just a tad of DynaComp pedal might do something similar.

My quasi-band uses delay & overdrive a lot. Two of us were recording some chord ideas the other day with no effects, and it's amazing how much livelier and "present" the recorded guitars sound without all the layers of swirly. That's the tradeoff, I guess.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

filtercap wrote:This kind of EggSpearmint was one reason I bought my second Musicmaster after getting all I Was A Teenage Guitar Scientist on my first one with pups & switches. With the second MM, I wanted to see what variety of sounds I could get with just the one pickup and two knobs.
Heh, it was actually my Musicmaster that partly spawned this thought. The guitar has been modified with a PAF in the bridge (single removed from the neck) and the only thing that works is the volume.
I casually took the guitar to two different band rehearsals and one jazz-type jam with a sax player and keyboard player. I realised on all 3 seperate occasions that i had forgotten a lot of things about my playing, i realised i have overused FX making me a more lazy player but more importantly i enjoyed playing a lot more.
I should get the tone pot sorted out so i can roll it back to simulate a neck pickup as well.
gary

Post by gary »

There are certain albums and songs I can do guitar straight to amp on drive channel with. But using the guitar volume to get a solo boost quickly, then ramp down quickly - it's just too imprecise. If I set volume and tone at anything lower than full, then generally it'll be for the whole song.

I have a nice dynamic classic rock tone I'm using at the moment. Laney clean channel (B8/M3/T1, master on 4) with the Guv'nor OD clone, gain on 1/3 with some treble boost; I'd do it on the amp but the speaker in there gets all icepick. Super dynamic and cleans up well with the guitar volume control. Never underestimate the power of Laney!

And I love Surfer Rosa/Pilgrim for jamming along to. Especially Vamos... pull out that slide, shake that amp!
hell is most other guitarists
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

What Laney amp do you have Gary?
euan