It models:

DigiTech Multi Chorus
Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus
TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Fulltone Choralflange
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
EH Small Clone
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

It's been out for a month, but can't find a single review on the internet!

Yeh it's digital, but if any effect can be redone digitally it's chorus - a simple modulation effect with quite predictable results. Also it's stereo-output and proper true-bypass.
Mike
I like EL34s

Re: Digitech CF-7 Chorus Factory

Post by Mike »

aphasiac wrote:Yeh it's digital, but if any effect can be redone digitally it's chorus - a simple modulation effect with quite predictable results.
I dunno, I'd give that target to delay personally.

I can tell a digital chorus when I hear one.
aphasiac

Re: Digitech CF-7 Chorus Factory

Post by aphasiac »

Mike wrote:
aphasiac wrote:Yeh it's digital, but if any effect can be redone digitally it's chorus - a simple modulation effect with quite predictable results.
I dunno, I'd give that target to delay personally.

I can tell a digital chorus when I hear one.
chorus *is* just a delay though, with some modulation done on the delayed signal. the delay and the modulation (just constant changing of the delay time) can in theory both be done digitally pretty easily.

I suppose the big difference will be the "colour" the pedal adds to the final output - digital chorus will give you pretty much the same signal back with chorus added, where as all analog pedals tend to add their own EQ and presence "flavour".

Proof is in the hearing i guess - to be honest the only chorus pedal ive ever owned is my Boss CE-5, and it's pretty crappy. and yes it's digital. So actually best ignore all of the above, cos you're probably right! :P

but yeh anyway i still wanna know if the digitech pedal is any good - specially the "small clone" model
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Dude. Don't try and school me on effects.
I know how chorus is produced, I wrote the frigging Wiki article on it.

Why don't you show me how smart you are by telling me the reason digital chorus sounds different to analog chorus? Hint: they're produced in a fundamentally different way.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

*raises hand*

Oooooh! Can I answer this one?! I can explain how chorus is done the analog way!!
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Chris why don't you tell the class why Analogue Chorus sounds different to Digital chorus?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Ok, analog chorus:

Signal is fed into a bit a memory, which functions as a delay. The on/off of the BBD chip is handled by an analog LFO clock, which varies the amount of time the BBD chip stores the signal and spits it out. So it basically just copies the signal coming in into memory, then spits it back out a few milliseconds later. This causes a delay in the signal, which varies by the LFO clock. This slightly delayed signal is mixed back into the original for chorus.

Now, I'm not positive what exactly is "the" difference, but to me the biggest difference is that analog chorus has the signal run through a BBD chip to delay it before sending it back out. Thus it actually isn't the original signal anymore, it is the best copy the BBD can manage to reproduce. There are bound to be small differences between it and the original other than the time delay. These small differences and flaws are that difficult to quantify aspect of sound.

Digital chorus is, they take the original signal, duplicate it, and mix it back in with a slight delay. The delayed signal is identical to the original, just timeshifted. This "modeller" must be attempting to apply the slight differences on the delayed signal just like analog choruses have.

I hope that is right.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

wow, that's some good info.

ive been well and truely out-geeked.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I do like their DF-7 alot, but I don't think having 7 choruses in one pedal is as cool as having 7 completely different sounding overdrive/distortions in one pedal. I doubt it'll be that big of a hit.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I've got a Polychorus, Boss Super Chorus, and a Memory Man set for chorus, and still want this pedal.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.