Fab Distortion
3%
Other
45%

Total votes: 38
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Timbo is big on Bob Mould is'nt he, probably the most recognisible D+ user.
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

Yeah Bob Mould and Guy Picciotto are the only D+ users I can think of right now.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Mike wrote:Coxon used a RAT2 on Song2. Foo Fighters recorded all of "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" with RAT2s into Vox AC30s.

Ira from Yo La Tengo
Agata from Melt Banana
Buzz from the Melvins
Peter from the Dandy Warhols

I think that gives you an idea of it's versatility
Song 2?? ooooh, didn't know that.

Dammit, i'm gonna have to get one me thinks..just to try out..
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Babes in Toyland used the Rat2 for their albums. It appears in more setups than you'd think.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Fran wrote:Timbo is big on Bob Mould is'nt he, probably the most recognisible D+ user.
dude, no randy rhoads is. every add for the mxr says randy rhoads played it..

that kinda sucks.

yeah but i need a new distortion pedal that can do fuzz as well as proper distortion.

thought about rat, and yes im gonna buy that one but i dont now which one either the turno or the 2
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

aphasiac wrote:
Mike wrote:Coxon used a RAT2 on Song2. Foo Fighters recorded all of "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" with RAT2s into Vox AC30s.

Ira from Yo La Tengo
Agata from Melt Banana
Buzz from the Melvins
Peter from the Dandy Warhols

I think that gives you an idea of it's versatility
Song 2?? ooooh, didn't know that.

Dammit, i'm gonna have to get one me thinks..just to try out..
The chorus on Song 2 is Alex James' Bass through a Shredmaster, Coxon does use a Rat on it but he plays this during the chorus:

E---16--16--16--16--16--16--16--16--16--16--||
B---------------------------------------------------||
G---13--13--13--13--13--13--13--13--13--13--||
D---------------------------------------------------||
A---------------------------------------------------||
E---------------------------------------------------||

I just got a Rat 2 today and I'm loving it :D
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Gandalf wrote:
Fran wrote:Timbo is big on Bob Mould is'nt he, probably the most recognisible D+ user.
dude, no randy rhoads is. every add for the mxr says randy rhoads played it..

that kinda sucks.

yeah but i need a new distortion pedal that can do fuzz as well as proper distortion.

thought about rat, and yes im gonna buy that one but i dont now which one either the turno or the 2
Turbo is a more kinda dirty sound, not much sustain. Lots of samples of each RAThere.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

i hate those proco site sound clips.

tomorow im getting the holy grail, but im gonna go to the store and try the rats out, and some other pedals and see what i like but i think that the holy grail gets this purchase.

can the rat2 just give it a slight dirty sound? back when i saw sonic youth, he had his rat up half way on all the settings and i liked that overdrivey sound.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

RAT2 with the super quick Reutz mod can give a nice OD sound, yeah.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I use my stock rat with the gain at less than half and I love the sound of it. Very trebly OD sound.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, the mod makes for a flat frequency response all over the dial. You could just turn the filter up (reducing top end) when using the gain in lower settings in the stock mode, although it doesn't quite sound the same.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Fran wrote:What kind of sound you after malik? Namedrop.
Post.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Fran wrote:
Post.
Fo' sho'. What the hell are you after so we can make a real recommendation?
luke

Post by luke »

Fran wrote:
Post.
Well, that's the thing. I'm not looking for any really particular tones, I like to write music and I just want something that can be flexible.

But if I had to choose? Well, I love John Frusciante's live distortion tone, and that comes from a DS-2 and I can actually get something sounding similar to that with the DS-2 I currently have. Listen to this intro. I guess I like it because it doesn't sound like a standard distortion pedal, but I guess someone's going to tell me there's another effect going on there, or it's just his amp making it sound that awesome?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I think it has already been said, then, but you probably would like the EH Graphic Fuzz. You can dial in a TON of sounds with that.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Malik wrote:
But if I had to choose? Well, I love John Frusciante's live distortion tone, and that comes from a DS-2 and I can actually get something sounding similar to that with the DS-2 I currently have. Listen to this intro. I guess I like it because it doesn't sound like a standard distortion pedal, but I guess someone's going to tell me there's another effect going on there, or it's just his amp making it sound that awesome?
that's a mix of pedal dirt and marshally goodness. i could absolutely nail his pre-2002 live distorted tone with my ds-2 and '73 superbass. that could even be an NYC big muff, as he'd been using a black russian one to do single-note fuzzy stuff just before that, and ds-2 for heavy chords. but mainly you're hearing a Marshall Major (200w, headroom up the bum) and Jubilee (50w, fairly dirty) turned up real loud.
Last edited by paul_ on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

That's Frusciante's playing, the tone sounds average to me. If you select your neck pup on your Jags lead circuit and use a DS-2 you'll be on it.
luke

Post by luke »

Hmm, I think I'm going to end up buying the DS-2 off the guy I'm borrowing it from, and then I'll probably invest in a PenPen Special as well, just to add to the effect, at least until I get the cash to get a Rat2. Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I dont mean to sound arrogant malik but its in teH fingers dude. I sound better than that playing through a Danelecto Bacon & Eggs... :wink:
luke

Post by luke »

Fran wrote:I dont mean to sound arrogant malik but its in teH fingers dude. I sound better than that playing through a Danelecto Bacon & Eggs... :wink:
Yeah I know, and that's why I hardly care about what pedal I have at the moment, I just wanted something that you guys can approve of. If I'm happy with the not-so-popular DS-2, then I'm sure I'd be chuffed with something you guys appreciate, but for now I think I'll stick with what I have. I'm not really the sort of person who wants to sound like any other guitarists, I love creating my own music and I love to have my own sound. I'd be happy with anything, me.