My Amp Stopped Working and Now Makes Strange Noises

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

My Amp Stopped Working and Now Makes Strange Noises

Post by Bacchus »

I went to plug in my amp the other day, and found that my amp wasn't making any sound. I changed the leads and such, and still no luck.

I asked my bandmates to stop playing a second, and in the ensuing silence, discovered my amp was making some sort of horrible electronic-interference type buzzy noise. It makes this noise even when everything is set to zero, and the noise comes from the head, not from the speakers. My amp is a Marshall AVT150H, through the AVT412 cab.

I can put this down to one of two reasons (I suspect number two is the actual reason, but I hope it's number one):

1. My computer monitor stopped working the night before (probably a blown fuse), and when I was swapping around power leads, they could well have got mixed up. I suspect that a fault in the lead may have caused an internal fuse in the monitor to blow, and then did the same on my amp. I'm not sure about this though, as the amp is still getting power, and everything is lighting up. I also think it is unlikely that there is a ghost in my lead.

2. When I was moving my amp, i noticed that it looked like there was a wet patch that used to be a stream of liquid leading into the ventilation grill on the top of the head. When i moved the amp, a brown/grey liquid pooled on the couch where a corner was rested. Following a quick smell test, I was able to identify the unknown liquid as beer. Someone had poured some beer on it.

I'm going to need to take this to an amp tech for this aren't I?
light rail coyote

Post by light rail coyote »

Just pour some beer on it..................

Oh never mind :roll:
Fuzz monkeys are generally fed the most bananas
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yes.

it will be (2) I'm afraid.

A kettle lead is a kettle lead, and would have only affected mains fuse which would mean no Red light when you flip the switch.

SolidState amp = amp tech.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:Yes.

it will be (2) I'm afraid.

A kettle lead is a kettle lead, and would have only affected mains fuse which would mean no Red light when you flip the switch.

SolidState amp = amp tech.
That's what I was thinking.

I'm going to give it a week or so with the back opened up to see if it will dry out and work then (unlikely, I know, but sometimes electronic stuff can be surprisingly resilient to being wet provided it's allowed to dry). Then I'm taking it to a tech.

I hope it's savable. I really can't afford to spend money on a big amp at the minute. I want to start getting nice, cheap amps, not big practical/giggable ones.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

If you have an airing cupboard put it in there.

Also considering using Marshall themselves, very reasonable prices and they'll collect and return your amp for a reasonable fee.

Oh fuck you live in Ireland innit? Oh well.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:If you have an airing cupboard put it in there.

Also considering using Marshall themselves, very reasonable prices and they'll collect and return your amp for a reasonable fee.

Oh fuck you live in Ireland innit? Oh well.
Yup, and Ireland is something of a bandit country when it comes to guitar techs and such.