Marshall JVM410 Clean & Crunch Channel Samples (+ OD1/OD

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

hey Mike, good stuff, thanks for doing the demo.

Have listened to all your soundclips on netmusicans.org (cos im interedted in all the amps you've owned), and you now what sounds like the best? The Vox AD50VT.

Dunno why, I HATED it when i played one at the shop, but it records well - you got some f'ing GREAT tones out of it.

ho hum.
gary

Post by gary »

Mike, I really respect the fact you took all that subjective opinion so well. A lot of people (Harmony Central forums anyone?) would have gone a little spare after dropping a lot of dough on such a beast then having a Laney fanboy criticise it.

I'd love you to try and recreate a Pantera drop-D metal sound. Show me how stupidly bassy this new breed can go!

No diode-clipping eh? I'd have to look at a schematic to be sure, but as I've said before you are a thorough kind of guy and I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.

Note on Laney channel-switching. My LC50 is flawless, and the VC50 I had before was flawless. Which Laney models have you tried that have crappy switching?
hell is most other guitarists
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

gary wrote:Mike, I really respect the fact you took all that subjective opinion so well. A lot of people (Harmony Central forums anyone?) would have gone a little spare after dropping a lot of dough on such a beast then having a Laney fanboy criticise it.

I'd love you to try and recreate a Pantera drop-D metal sound. Show me how stupidly bassy this new breed can go!

No diode-clipping eh? I'd have to look at a schematic to be sure, but as I've said before you are a thorough kind of guy and I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.

Note on Laney channel-switching. My LC50 is flawless, and the VC50 I had before was flawless. Which Laney models have you tried that have crappy switching?
VC30.
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

aphasiac wrote:hey Mike, good stuff, thanks for doing the demo.

Have listened to all your soundclips on netmusicans.org (cos im interedted in all the amps you've owned), and you now what sounds like the best? The Vox AD50VT.

Dunno why, I HATED it when i played one at the shop, but it records well - you got some f'ing GREAT tones out of it.

ho hum.
Thanks. I think I nailed it when I recorded those.

The Marshalls I have had sound a million times better than that Laney did in a room and with a band - I just haven't recorded them very well it seems.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

gary wrote:Mike, I really respect the fact you took all that subjective opinion so well. A lot of people (Harmony Central forums anyone?) would have gone a little spare after dropping a lot of dough on such a beast then having a Laney fanboy criticise it.

1. I'm not going to record samples just for your benefit - I don't have the time to be lugging my amp up and downstairs and setting up mics just to satisfy the opinion of someone I don't know - on a style of music I have no intention of playing. If you spent any time on HC at all you'd have already heard the amp play that style of music in spades. It's huge for metal if you want that - I don't. I use the Clean and Plexi/JCM800 sounds it has and I like them very much.

2. Yes. No Diode Clipping - enough with that - you sound like a misinformed idiot when you clutch at straws like that - guess what? No Diode cliiping in the 6100, DSL or TSLs either. Does that blow your mind?

3. I have heard multiple reports of lagging and delayed switching from people on here and wasn't impressed with the LC series' I played with. Soundwise they weren't bad.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Hey Mike your amp sounds great!

I think some of those Crunch tones sound very JCM900-y, so you know I approve!!

Other than being an amp that seems to be able to dial in any of the historic Marshall tones, does it do anything especially new?

I mean obviously the thing is an incredibly functional tone monster and very versatile once you get your tones dialed in. But does it do new cool stuff that I need to know about? I've been thinking about picking up a new head to compliment my JCM900 (I imagine them sitting on top of a full stack saying "you look lovely today" "no, YOU look l lovely today" to one another).
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I think the thing it does that kinda new is the easy of setting up all the different sounds and switching between them all.
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

lol... one of the first thing I did after getting the amp was to stick it on top of my other head like this:

Thanks for listening, I'm really happy with it - and i definitely hear some JCM900 in there at times, along with 800s and some Plexistyle breakup.

In terms of what it does that other Marshall's I've had and played - it's the versatility of the thing in the live arena. Most good amps you can dial in a pretty clean tone, a warm on-the-edge of breakup sound, a crunch sound, a heavy crunch sound and a very high gain sound, but you'll have to compromise Equalization between them and you'll generally only be able to footswitch between a given two of them. The thing about the JVM is that you could set up all of those sounds in the amp and footswitch between them during a gig or at practise. And that's why I love it - plus it gets sounds my other amp and pedals couldn't.

I have a 6100 which is a great amp, and I loved the Clean and crunch channels. The Crunch channel had two modes that were great (plexi and JCM800 style) but that weren't switchable by foot - and the Lead channel was a little overgained for my taste. So I used a Boss OD-3 for light grit and a RAT2 for more Crunch than the crunch channel.

Now with the JVM all of these sounds can be saved and switched between and they're all valve driven and lovely - hugely responsive. I'm delighted and can't wait till our first gig with it on Tuesday. I recommend you find one in a shop and have a play with it.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i finally got around to listening to the samples. thx ng.

what speakers are in that cab?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Cheers for listening dude.

Celestion G12T-75s - standard spaker for Marshall 2x12" and 4x12" cabs. People on message board diss em because they're stock but i like 'em - they're punchy
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Mike wrote:Cheers for listening dude.

Celestion G12T-75s - standard spaker for Marshall 2x12" and 4x12" cabs. People on message board diss em because they're stock but i like 'em - they're punchy
Cool, yeah those are good speax00rz.
I really need a cab with good speakers, it sucks running every amp through stock crate speakers - i have just about never recorded a guitar sound i liked. I'm sure if i had some v30 cab or so i would be more inclined to get something done!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Indeed. I like Vintage30s. Thumbs Up.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I've got V30's in my cab - definite thumbs up from me!
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

I think all the samples kick ass....great amp...great setup..... I definitely want to get check one out at the store to see....Who knows.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The metal viewpoint, from HCAmpForum:

It's been said, but I'll reiterate-- anyone who thinks this is a TSL or can't do chugga-chugga metal is completely incapable.

Today I head out to a couple of shops with my best friend who's a drummer and a metal guitar player just to see what was out there amp wise. Found a JVM 2x12 combo at Sam Ash that I was definitely interested in sitting down and playing around with.

First off, this is the best Marshall at low volumes I've played, by far, bar none. The tone is way more articulate and full sounding than the TSL. The clean was slightly better than the JCM2000s, but still not great. With a Hamer H/H guitar the cleans were dead and very boring. A Gretsch with minibuckers sounded gorgeous clean, but it was definitely all about guitar tone there. The amp got mean very fast and was hitting into loud Plexi territory on the Orange mode of the clean channel and by the Red of the clean channel, I was at near JCM800 levels, easily. Moving to the crunch channel, the green channel started somewhere more where the orange was on the clean but far more lively and open sounding, with a bit of a more natural sound to it. I definitely dug this channel for JMP style sounds. By the orange channel you're talking JCM800 tones but with a better master volume, not quite the same amount of balls. Think the DSL clean channel, crunch engaged and cranked with a really high output guitar or a boost. By the red channel on the crunch, my friend and I both felt we were in metal territory. It wasn't modern metal yet, but every classic Marshall metal sound was already accessible by the crunch on the red channel. Again, the OD1 picked up on green where the Orange channel of the crunch left off. This time the amp was a bit more compressed, the low end was a little tighter and the mids slightly less pronounced (had to turn htem up a bit more to get the same sounds but a bit heavier compared to the rest of hte amp). This thing roared well into 5150/6505 territory (which we were fooling around with yesterday), at least on the "cleaner" channel with an SG and the gain not into insane territory.

By the time we went into the OD2 channel, neither of us wanted to play there long. Tones of gain, tones of compression, very tight, very modernish metal sound, but no where near where either of us like our sound to be. Even though he plays metal, he loves Glassjaw and old Hopesfall style tone (H&K Triamp and 5150, respectively), and neither of us thought that that much gain would ever be needed. It was really going into the insano-chugga-chugga gain territory like nobodies business.

So yes, the amp gets a huge variety of sounds and sounds pretty good doing it. I bet it would be great in a cover band. And yes, this thing definitely does metal stock better than just about any Marshall.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

sorry I'm late on this mike. work n that.
anyway sonds right down your ally mate i bet your stoked with it. and that demo site is well sweet i likes it.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote:Thanks Thom.

I'm just stitching the OD samples together now. I made this little sample of Clean and Crunch < 1min with hopefully better mic position, although I could have screwed it up again knowing me

right-click save as

so yeah, i'm sold. i'm going to order one off mf.com right now. i wish there was a local joint for me to try one, but between mike's clips and mf's 45-day return policy, it's really a no-brainer to at least give it a try. cheers!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I think you will be very. very happy.

My clips don't do it justice. I could not be more happy with this amp.
gary

Post by gary »

Meh. I was in Denmark Street on Wednesday, when I put the deposit down on my Jag HH, should have tried a JVM then. Because without trying one, further objective criticism is impossible. It needs to be my hands on my guitar before I can tell. I'd be very surprised if it sways me from the awesome power of Laney - a power you should never underestimate.
hell is most other guitarists
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

gary wrote:Meh. I was in Denmark Street on Wednesday, when I put the deposit down on my Jag HH, should have tried a JVM then. Because without trying one, further objective criticism is impossible. It needs to be my hands on my guitar before I can tell. I'd be very surprised if it sways me from the awesome power of Laney - a power you should never underestimate.
Marshall's kick shit out of Laneys, in my experience.