Painting's a bitch

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

roachello
Cunt Punt

Painting's a bitch

Post by roachello »

I have to use a spray can instead of the gun for my pedal project. It doesn't go on as smoothly. Anyone know why orange peeling occurs and how to get rid of it? I sanded the hell out if it WHY GOD WHY?!?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

you're either laying the coats on too thick and not giving the paint enough time to dry, or you aren't laying down nice, even coats. Lay the coats thin, and overlap with each pass. You'll sort it out.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Err toward light coats and go wetter as you feel more comfortable. Then again, I was using KILZ primer and it shot out as fast as a prom date.
Yell Like Hell
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

PAINTING IS FUN
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

bassintom wrote:Image
PAINTING IS FUN
BRILLIANT POST.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Post by Chico Malo »

Also, you wanna make sure that there is no oily residue. I would also make sure you use a suitable primer.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

agreed. the only suitable primer I've found is at automotive paint stores. The shit they sell elsewhere is just that. Shit.

Once you've got the body (wood) really close to perfect, and have applied your sand/sealer, the primer is really the most important phase. With 6-10 coats of primer, you should block sand every 2-3 coats until perfection is attained. With a really good primer, dry sanding produces a fine dust which does not clog your sandpaper, and once you've laid down your final coat of primer, blocksanding with 1000 grit and water, you can't get the body any more perfect. The paint will lay down like a dream, you'll wet sand the final coat of paint, you'll shoot your clear, you'll wetsand with 1500 grit (block, of course), buff and polish.

Any other method will produce subpar results.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

No kidding? I have not given priming nearly enough thought. Fuck.
Yell Like Hell
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Post by Chico Malo »

I totally agree with that process , Aug, although, I think she is working on a pedal project, possibly metal or plastic.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Chico Malo wrote:I totally agree with that process , Aug, although, I think she is working on a pedal project, possibly metal or plastic.
still applies. Remember, I spent an entire summer doing bodywork/prep/paint on a number of Ferrari's at Ogner Ferrari in Woodland Hills. Metal, plastic, fiberglass, wood...the rules all still apply.

Even still, I see what you are saying.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Rub up the metal and make the surface ever-so-slightly abrasive. Helps no end when painting.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Three more coats on the Bronco and she is ready to sure. Very shiny. can't wait. I ran out of daylight after putitng the kid to bed. It is like a goddam swimming pool outside already. Chilly yesterday, AC today. Welcome to Warshington. I have yet to try Desert Sand. I can do that and Oly but everything else is awaiting more colors from Uncle Reranch.
Yell Like Hell
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

i am the master at priming. For the pedal i went all the way up to 2000. Correction for myself: painting CHROME is a bitch. Automotive paint comes out waaay nicer. Check out my pedal on the effects page :)