15watt roundup!

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

15watt roundup!

Post by dots »

so chico malo, mickie08, and i got together last night as part of a little amp face-off. some of what we discovered was expected while some caught everybody off guard. mickie's got a really nice avatar 2x12 cab with great speakers in there, so we jacked all three into that in addition to listening to the two combos through their own speakers. the two guitars we used were a fender jag-stang with a seymour duncan jb/texas special configuration and a taylor acoustic electric in order to challenge the amps with one heavily bassy and another very bright guitar. here's what i can remember (there WAS beer involved, after all).

mickie's orange tiny terror: hands down the most versatile of the three. they are pricey, and you do have to provide another speaker cab. . . but this thing is capable of some pretty wicked, full-range tones even at bedroom levels. one of its few weaknesses is in dialing a truly clean, bright tone with a lot of headroom. it takes quite a bit of give, take, and compromise on the dials to get something really sparkly. however, once exploring the higher-gain levels, you really see what this diminutive, white box can do. though it won't do heavy metal tones without a pedal by any means, the alt/indie rock kids will always love this throaty, almost palpable tone; make no mistake. . . that overdrive is really, really thick. perhaps breaking the tone knob into at least two separate bass/treble controls would've lent toward more tone shaping, though. the ability to drop down to 7watts makes this bad dog a puppy with a pretty strong bite. in the end, though it loses "true portability" points for it's deceptively substantial weight (i personally believe that pencil thin handle to be a joke, digs into my fucking hand) and having to add a cabinet, the tiny terror goes from your room, to your garage, to many stages without batting an eyelash and with a sound that's just unbelievable for it's wattage.

dots' fender pro junior:
yes, i'm kinda partial to this little guy and his 10" speaker, but i was pretty brutal in its assessment as well. through its own speaker, it definitely gets that "little amp sound." dialing in a good tone takes some getting used to as the volume knob is also a pretty sensitive gain. the amp already begins to break up at 2 - 3 on the dial. by 5 or 6, you're getting crunchy, and 8 or 9 is pure overdrive; it goes to 12 and is great for harmonic feedback at that level. i've used it just for that purpose on several songs. that speaker (though pretty capable) is only 10" after all, and doesn't really get a lot of low end. however, when jacked into mickie's cab, it was almost a totally different amp. the almost feathery highs became like melted butter and the bass hummed more than any of the three. the pro jr. wasn't as loud as the orange, but it was still plenty capable of doing small venue shows. plus, it's the easiest to transport with it's small size and open back configuration. the lack of a separate gain pretty much eliminates this amp from being a bedroom amp without plugging in pedals. more versatile tone controls (like the tiny terror) would be awesome.

chico malo's marshall studio 15:

i wish i had a photo of his actual amp as it's the most physically striking. the amp has been placed in a custom built, stained wood cabinet of several colors. very warm, very classy looking. as for tones, for some reason the studio 15 stood out as pretty unimpressive with its own speaker. none of us could figure out why, either, but it was just too glassy and brittle through the single 12" speaker. however, once plugged into the 2x12, GOD DAMN. this was a fucking MARSHALL! definitely the most bass-challenged of the three, but that's not what this company's known for anyway. the mid-rangey bawlz boasted by this amp is so totally in the tradition of its name. it was loud, full voiced, and responsive as all hell. it also had the most versatility in the control panel in that it's got bass, mid, and treble controls in addition to separate gain and volume knobs. it's pretty heavy for very little return on tone with its own speaker to be sure. this beautiful box will give the complete marshall amp experience, even at low volumes.
Last edited by dots on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

SO dots...If your head took a shit on the road and you had the tiny terror as a back up, would it work out okay? Please explain. I'm currently debating on getting rid of my AVT150h marshall head and get one of these. 8)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Great thread guys, really good stuff.

Cowbell I take mine as backup, it'll do no problem, I just deal with the fact that if I use it on stage as a backup that my clean will have a little edge to it. a lovely edge though.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

More Cowbell wrote:SO dots...If your head took a shit on the road and you had the tiny terror as a back up, would it work out okay? Please explain. I'm currently debating on getting rid of my AVT150h marshall head and get one of these. 8)
i'll put it this way. i finished our rehearsal last night using the tiny terror. . . wasn't even at full-tilt, either. although i just used the volume knob on my guitar last night, the lack of channel switching would bug me personally. i'd either have to pack a volume pedal if i used the orange's gain (and why wouldn't you want to?) OR i'd have to dial down the gain on the amp and use a spare overdrive pedal.

bottom line is if i didn't have the prosonic as a backup, a tiny terror could definitely fill that role. i even considered the idea of ditching the prosonic for the orange, but the lack of channel switching kept me from doing that.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

By the way, for those interested, the Tiny Terror is actually a hotrodded Vox AC15 with extra gain stages, which might explain why it has a lovely midrange chime when clean/slightly dirty. I'm amazed at how much bass it has too. All good.

I'm with dots in that what matters to me in a live band situation is channel switching and a variety of overdrive sounds (duh) but I have the OD-3 and the Orange with me as a more than adequate backup. Plus I love recording the Orange, it was built to be recorded.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Thanx dudes. I'm gonna have to find one somewhere and go play it.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Top thread.

But ...NO SAMPLES?!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Doog wrote:Top thread.

But ...NO SAMPLES?!
Boo-urns.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Or photos of the drunken demoing. IT WAS DRUNKEN RIGHT?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote:Or photos of the drunken demoing. IT WAS DRUNKEN RIGHT?
definitely drunken! there was more than the demo agenda, unfortunately, so no clips this time. :(
paul_

Post by paul_ »

thanks to mickie, chico and dots for the research, i found it extremely relevant to my own research into little amps as of late, as i'm a marshall man who's been looking at the TT and pro/blues JRs among other amps for his bedroom. good stuff, dudes.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Great thread - nice one dots :)
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Re: 15watt roundup!

Post by Chico Malo »

dots wrote:

chico malo's marshall studio 15:

i wish i had a photo of his actual amp as it's the most physically striking. the amp has been placed in a custom built, stained wood cabinet of several colors. very warm, very classy looking.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Wow, who rehoused that? That's an awesome job, although not to my personal tastes. I have issues with bare wood. MATRON!
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Post by Chico Malo »

Mike wrote:I have issues with bare wood.
That sounded kind of nasty.

I personally don't know who did the woodwork. It was like that when I bought it. I do, however, have the original Marshall housing for it.

I have no issues with the fact that it is wood finished since it mainly stays in my living room. It's like a functional piece of furniture.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Chico Malo wrote:
Mike wrote:I have issues with bare wood.
That sounded kind of nasty.
Hence the Matron...