dgner8's archtop

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

dgner8's archtop

Post by robert(original) »

since the last thread was lost i figured i would post it up with more progess on it.
first off these are some pics of the neck, its hard but i want you to try and look down the binding, can you tell there is a hump around the 12th-16th fret area?
its caused by bad glue, bad climate, and a crappy compression rod that i had to dig out in order to salvage anything from the neck(yea i already ripped the frets out)

first order of business.
drill holes in the fret slots to allow the water/ steam to flow aroudn the glue area. this also helps alot when it comes time to glue it back on, i can just put some nails in and it will be lined back up like a champ!

the camera messed up while i was taking photos of the iron and towl, and basically any pics of the fretboard actually comming off, but basically, wet paper towel, norm iron, put the two together on top of the glue area and presto, start working it with a putty knife and slowly work it off.
and then you will end up with this.
check out the truss rod. total gettho fabulous!
this is one of the main reasons that dual truss rods are much more superior to a normal compression rod.
i plan on glueing a 4 mm maple accent layer between the neck and board to help with the action problem i was having before. as its turning out, im putting more money into this than it will be worth in 1000000 years. but it sure is fun!
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Thanks for showing me stuff I'd never see on my own. I've just looked at a neck and though "yep, that's 2 pieces of wood stuck together, mmhmm" lol.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Holy shit! That looks like old car parts. You're a one man army.
Yell Like Hell
robert(original)

im lost justin. one man army? or army of one?
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

I don't know, he said that.

Army of Juan?
robert(original)

neck split down the middle, reglued it and during the re-routing and filling for the new truss rod it split again, i said fuck it and trashed thing, im making an ew one for it.
or if anyone wants the body, complete and wiring CORRECTLY with new pots, just ask, it wil accept a 25" bolt on neck.
fuck, i will even send you the p.o.s. fingerboard.
but yeah, talk about a money pit, its been fucking me in the ass ever since i strung it up.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Shit. That sucks, man. I could send you that other Epi neck. Make a project out of it. There's got to be plenty of good left to it, right?

I know about giving up though. I have been hitting the wall with that Jazzmo Strat. I had to call in the Georgia cavalry on it.
Yell Like Hell
robert(original)

whats the deal with the stratojazz?
guard not lining up or what?
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I fucked it up. I am no good at this building stuff. I can paint, buy parts, and turn a screwdriver. I was just getting to the good part too. I couldn't figure out how to place the trem or neck. I was almost to the point of selling it like you are, Novak or not. I am going to finish the Ric and go back to playing. Cowbell is going to see what he can do. Hopefully we will get some video and all learn a few things. But there's just some shit I can't do without seeing it done. The neck is the central nervous system.

But tonight I almost finished Mosrite #2 and I feel pretty good. I am a decent dad, I can draw pretty well, and I have built a few guitars. I guess that about sums it up. I have done pretty much everything I set out to do and am not afraid of most routine shit anymore. I think I can keep whatever I keep in working order. I am stuck on the mandocaster. I need to get another toploader bridge.
Yell Like Hell