LSR installation...

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

benwalker

LSR installation...

Post by benwalker »

Hi all,,

anyone done an install of an LSR nut onto a mexican strat? Is it something that a novice such as myself is likely to f*ckup bigtime?

i recently installed a wilky trem to replace the mex standard one, which hasn't fallen out yet (filled in the old holes with dowel and glue, re-drilled new ones - seems fine so far..), but since the only tools I have to my disposal are sandpaper for making grooves bigger, and a few small drill bits, I wonder whether this is one best left for a 'professional'..

thoughts?
my signature goes here
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

how much bigger does the slot need to be? the nut is kind of a crucial part. i'd say if you don't have much experience, you're better off taking it to a professional.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

according to the accompanying blurb, 7/32" wider and a new depth of between 0.105" to 0.115" at the centre of the radius (assuming 0.035"-0.045" fret height...)

hmm.
my signature goes here
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I have a LSR roller nut on my Jag-Stang, but it was routed for it at Warmoth. It came with great instructions and shims so you get the proper install height, etc. If your brave enough I say get a small router bit and take a chance doing it yourself, just set the depth to not go any deeper than the original nut route.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

it's the cost of buying a router bit (as opposed to my 80-grade sandpaper) and potential for screwing up the neck (and then getting it repaired), versus the cost of getting a luthier to fit it.

will take some measurements.

if it only needs a fraction sanded away to make it fit, i'll try it...
my signature goes here
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

you'd be better off with a dremel than a router.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i would take it to a tech, if you are that limited with your tools then it may prove to be too hard and take up too much time.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

robert(original) wrote:i would take it to a tech, if you are that limited with your tools then it may prove to be too hard and take up too much time.
+1

i'm not a crafty guy in this way. . . i'll do electronics (with schematics and help/advice from others), but the wood is where i get skeerd.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

yep - it's going to the shops today/tomorrow. The amount of wood I need to remove is too much to do with just sandpaper, so will see how it goes getting it done properly...

thanks for the advice :)
my signature goes here