Neck Shimming

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

mickie08

Neck Shimming

Post by mickie08 »

What is the proper way to shim a neck.

The neck pocket for the tele I got from Robert was a little off, and also needed to be shimmed to angle the neck slightly back (it has more of a les paul style set up with a TOM/bigsby) So, what is the proper way to shim a neck. What material do you use. I had it set up, but the alignment was off from side to side of the fretboard. I got that fixed today, but I still can't seem to get the action down as low as I would prefer (it's definitely playable particularly as I play rhythym mainly anyways, but could be lower for sure) Basicly I have a little relief on the neck and the bridge up realtively high and it still buzzes a little here and there or on big bends. I am sure it can be set up correctly but want to give it a go to get it right myself before I pay someone to.

If I end up paying someone to, I am going to take it to a luthier who can make a precision wood shim that I can finiah to match the guitar and get all filled in andset up correctly.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I've used all kinds of shit.

usually guitar picks and american quarters.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

OK, so just whatever works, no real trick to it.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

Guitar pick.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Yeah, I used cardboard cut to shape from cereal boxes, but that seemed to squash down after a while so I used a .6mm dunlop pick and that worked a treat.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Guitar picks or matchbooks.But I've used Lego pieces,sandpaper,and cigarette butts.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i like ciggarette boxes and those large fender triangle picks
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

thanks guys. I will try the large fender triangular guitar pics and see how they work. Right noe I have a piece of heavy cardboard that I compressed with weights to make sure it doesn's shift or compress too much as time goes on. It might need just a tad more though so I can get the action a bit lower.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

You can also sand or file wood, plastic, countertop material, etc into a better shape. Some materials adjust to pressure over time.
Yell Like Hell