Hollowbody Wiring

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

bassintom

Hollowbody Wiring

Post by bassintom »

SUCKS
It seems almost impossible to do.I've been working on the red body wiring I got from RobOg for 3 hours now and I'm still not done.I don't think there is a way to do it neatly.Ends up looking like spaghetti.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I think there are some good pointers in the Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player how-to book. I've never done a full on re-wire but I changed a couple of pups on epiphones...
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Real men don't need instructions. :D
Then after we fuck it up we call in the experts.RobOg..I want my money back!..jk. :P
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

After I got these plastic ties ($3 a bag) and heat-shrink wiring tubes, I found it was much easier. Build your harness to fit and it will almost drape into place. Those Epis have giant pickup holes you can almost get your arm into. I was using guitar strings to pull the wires out the the holes, but you should use fishing line! What's your strongest bass line? This is easier than fishing--it's already caught.

Also, if I am not worried about authenticity (past the 70s) I use plastic coated wires instead of cloth. They don't bend like pipe cleaners and they don't catch inside as easily. Think of it as bondage for the guitar fetish.

Yell Like Hell
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

fishing line and kite string worked for me. that epi body was actually way easier to do than the green archtop i made a while back.
if you have lil magnets that may also help.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

I always found the solution to hollowbody wiring was to buy a tele. :lol:
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

guitar strings
fishing line and kite string
All these things came into play.
I made harnesses out of the wiring cover from ethernet wire and electrical tape.Since I'm using the 4 vol/tone pots in og locations it took a little effort to get the harness in properly.But it's all together and hopefully no connections came apart.I even put shrink tubing on the little bits where the wires are soldered onto the pots.I'd post a pic but I'm not taking that fucker apart again **happy** .Thanks guys....Fat crooked fingers don't make the job any easier.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

word! i have the small fat crooked finger syndrome as well!
im getting around to those pup covers i promise!
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

im getting around to those pup covers i promise
Don't worry about themright now,it's not like my life will collapse into a black hole without them.Get your important stuff taken care of...I have 15 other guitars I can dick around with.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

An alternative to zip-ties, sadly this post will be lacking... I have no clue of the name, nor could I find it on any website. It was given to me, but I do not know from where they purchased it.

Basically, it's a clear giant spring-like spiral. The purpose is, you wire somethin' up, and you just wrap the wire in this, since it's a spiral, it'll be kinda awkward to wrap, but it's the equivalent of wrapping somethin' in electrical tape, except no glue... Maybe I'll use it this week end and take some pics. My description is lacking, I appologize, but if you've seen it, this may be a good reminder, I hope.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Basically, it's a clear giant spring-like spiral.
I know what you're talking about.It's used in the automotive industry in engine compartments and such.It's usually black.I use it on my trailer harness.Good ide,I will have to remember that next time.Thanks.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

I'm jus glad I wasn't talkin' nonsense, bro, no prob.