Mustang vs.Mercury

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Mike wrote:
dodgedartdave wrote:
bassintom wrote: They don't say kluson,but they look just like them.........DDD..are they?
Yep, they are. :)
I thought Klusons had a hole in the end ala Fender tuners in the 60s and 70s? Or is that just one type?

Either way the hole in the end ones are the best tuners in the world, and teh Mercury doesn't have them.
These are Gibson style Klusons. Only the in-line-6 tuners have the hole has slot like fenders.

I know what you mean. Fender tuners are my favorite too.....
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Hurb wrote:A tip about the headstock. if you have to use a string tree/retainer don't make the mistake of bringing it really close to the nut. I just had to fix my hagstrom which has a major design fault at the headstock. you see the angle from the nut to the tuners is not steep enough (like worse than a fender) so they have a to put a bar string retainer close to the nut to make the break angle to stop the strings not sit in the nut. however because you have a lot of tension down on the strings they simply go out of tune as the metal does not provide enough slip for the strings to move back to pitch. I tries all sorts to improve the tuning like puting pencil lead all over the strings under the bar. and raising the bar as much as possible before the strings went loose in the nutt. but the issue with tuning was still there.
so I had to use some modified graphtech mustang saddles instead of the metal bar. this provides enough slip that bare metal never will at such a tension filled break angle.

something to think about.

I know.... The angle of the strings coming off the nut and the placement of the string trees are HUGE important. It's something we've gotta nail down perfect.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

TheBurbz wrote:Is Bassintom the only person to receive a Mercury? If there are others, maybe we could set up a photo gallery thread to show them off from different angles and with different colour schemes and whatnot? I'd very much like to see more pics :wink:
At the moment, Bassintom has the ONLY Merc. Lamp is about to get an orange one. His bridge just came in, so he'll get his soon.....

I recently did a photo shoot with the two guitars. I have to develop the film. I'll have more pics within the next couple of week.... :)
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Where did you get the bridge from?
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

dodgedartdave wrote:
Mike wrote:
dodgedartdave wrote: Yep, they are. :)
I thought Klusons had a hole in the end ala Fender tuners in the 60s and 70s? Or is that just one type?

Either way the hole in the end ones are the best tuners in the world, and teh Mercury doesn't have them.
These are Gibson style Klusons. Only the in-line-6 tuners have the hole has slot like fenders.

I know what you mean. Fender tuners are my favorite too.....
Aha. Thanks for the clarification.

I was slightly concerned as I'd ordered 6-in-line Klusons from Warmoth for my Mustang project and was hoping they were the ones I'd wanted.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

dodgedartdave wrote:
TheBurbz wrote:Is Bassintom the only person to receive a Mercury? If there are others, maybe we could set up a photo gallery thread to show them off from different angles and with different colour schemes and whatnot? I'd very much like to see more pics :wink:
At the moment, Bassintom has the ONLY Merc. Lamp is about to get an orange one. His bridge just came in, so he'll get his soon.....

I recently did a photo shoot with the two guitars. I have to develop the film. I'll have more pics within the next couple of week.... :)
Excellent. Looking forward to the pics and the guitar.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Get with the Digital Age People! Film is OLD SCHOOL.

Glad Thom's is coming together and that you have the bridge issue sorted out.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

euan wrote:Where did you get the bridge from?
It's just a standard Gibson Style wrap around bridge. :)
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Where did you buy it from?
euan
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

euan wrote:Where did you buy it from?
To be honest. I can't rememter. They're are a few places to get that bridge.

For Lamp's lefty, I got the TonePros Wraparound from StuMac. It's a pricey one. It was 80 or 90 bucks (I think).
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

bassintom wrote:Image

i've always liked the pickguard shape and subtly cool vibe of the mercury. the headstock is just dreadful, imo. slim it down a bit, add a logo decal, and do a bar instead of the twin string trees. . . that will be awesome.

post some sondz, bassintom!
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Teh HS does not look so disproportionate IRL...Look at the HS on my mustang, it looks gigantic.In fact most of my guitars look wrong.My camera is sabotaging my pics.....What we are seeing is electronics conspiracy
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nah the big Fender headstock is sexAY
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

bassintom wrote:Image
Teh HS does not look so disproportionate IRL...Look at the HS on my mustang, it looks gigantic.In fact most of my guitars look wrong.My camera is sabotaging my pics.....What we are seeing is electronics conspiracy
The guitar looks like it's leaning forward in that pic... :?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

dodgedartdave wrote:The guitar looks like it's leaning forward in that pic... :?
Things that suck balls kinda have to.

Just kidding. I like it.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"