i want a lute

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

paul_ wrote:Yeah there was an old-school episode of Doug where Skeeter makes an ocarina out of a stale bread roll.
Hahahaha, awesome.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doug was class. That and Rocko's Modern Life were probably my two favourite cartoons as a kid.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Anybody remember Thundarr the Barbarian? They still play that shit, I remember my fascination...

Anyways, I'm jonsin' for every other Zelda game, besides that one that Nintendo didn't make that sucked nuts that's name shall never be spoken... We'll jus call it "the one for PC."
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

BacchusPaul wrote:
The bouzouki is actually a Greek instrument Sn Irish folk musician whose name escapes me received on as a gift in the fifties, and subsequently recorded with it. I think he was a member of Planxty, an Irish traditional band. The guy actually hated the instrument, but the recording became popular, and consequently, so did the instrument.

That bouzouki looks lovely Ultra. I'd really, really like a bouzouki some day, but first I'd want a mondolin, and before that moar guitars. Can you play? We ought to do something for the Shortscale Compilation, with you on bouzouki, and me on erhu. I appreciate that the erhu isn't a Korean instrument, but then the bouzouki isn't really Irish, so I reckon we'd get away with it.

That's sounds like a great idea, how about a cover tune like the others in Chirish Irenese fashion? I'll lay down a bedtrack of Bouzouki/mandolin, letcha track Erhu/guitar etc, and I'll cap things off with tin whistle/uilleann pipes over here at the end. I'll be all over that.

By the way, I think you're talking about Paul Brady. I'm sure many would agree that his album with Andy Irvine is an absolute classic (Andy Irvine and Paul Brady: 1976) , and was one of my main influences while learning riffs on the pipes years back. Sweet melodies, chiming guitars and eight stringers galore.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

ultratwin wrote:
BacchusPaul wrote:
The bouzouki is actually a Greek instrument Sn Irish folk musician whose name escapes me received on as a gift in the fifties, and subsequently recorded with it. I think he was a member of Planxty, an Irish traditional band. The guy actually hated the instrument, but the recording became popular, and consequently, so did the instrument.

That bouzouki looks lovely Ultra. I'd really, really like a bouzouki some day, but first I'd want a mondolin, and before that moar guitars. Can you play? We ought to do something for the Shortscale Compilation, with you on bouzouki, and me on erhu. I appreciate that the erhu isn't a Korean instrument, but then the bouzouki isn't really Irish, so I reckon we'd get away with it.

That's sounds like a great idea, how about a cover tune like the others in Chirish Irenese fashion? I'll lay down a bedtrack of Bouzouki/mandolin, letcha track Erhu/guitar etc, and I'll cap things off with tin whistle/uilleann pipes over here at the end. I'll be all over that.

By the way, I think you're talking about Paul Brady. I'm sure many would agree that his album with Andy Irvine is an absolute classic (Andy Irvine and Paul Brady: 1976) , and was one of my main influences while learning riffs on the pipes years back. Sweet melodies, chiming guitars and eight stringers galore.
Yeah, that sounds good. I didn't realise you were a whistler/piper too. I play a bit of flute, but not so much these days. I used to play in a group that'd play sessions, but that was when I was a youngster, and I haven't really played in anger in a long time. It'd be cool if we could get someone to lay down a but of bodhran on it too.

When do you want to get this started? It'll take me a while to get handy on the erhu, as I have little idea how to play, beyond the odd article I've found online.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Rob, mandolins are pretty fun. I really like mine.