Maple > Rosewood?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Maple > Rosewood?

Post by Nick »

I just put my blazer's neck on my strat. I had to fuck with the saddle height til I was just about out of thread, but the results are sexy.

it WAS

Not sure if I'll keep the ibanez neck on it, but the more I play it the more I like it. Thoughts?
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Go back.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

So it'll be more color coordinated? Do I look like a fucking interior decorator to you?

Rosewood feels and sounds like shit to me, at least on solidbody guitars. Also the vintage 7.25" radius is impossible to bend on past the 12th fret without the action being super high.

I probably will be going back but not before I buy an 80's maple neck for the strat. The saddle and pickup height just looks wonky, but it feels awesome.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i heart maple necks
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

'specially for leads
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

I think the maple goes better with the pickguard color.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Nick wrote:So it'll be more color coordinated? Do I look like a fucking interior decorator to you?

Rosewood feels and sounds like shit to me, at least on solidbody guitars. Also the vintage 7.25" radius is impossible to bend on past the 12th fret without the action being super high.

I probably will be going back but not before I buy an 80's maple neck for the strat. The saddle and pickup height just looks wonky, but it feels awesome.
Don't ask for opinions if you have already made up your mind Ringo :P For the color coordination AND the playability, I prefer rosewood. Maple has a wee different sound, if that is what you prefer then go with maple.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

the rosewood looks better. but you should definitely go with playability over looks.
and i actually like the look of that yamaha headstock.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

I don't know, I like rosewood and maple equally.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:the rosewood looks better. but you should definitely go with playability over looks.
and i actually like the look of that yamaha headstock.
It's Ibanez actually. Off an 82 Blazer.

I need a new neck for this guitar. I like strat necks, I just hate the 7.25" ones. the blazer neck FEELS good but the way I had to set it up to get it to work right doesn't sit right with me.

Or I might leave it as is and get a new ibanez neck for the blazer, I really do like these necks.

I kind of agree that the rosewood is more picture friendly on this color, but it looks a bit "too pretty" to me. That was the problem I was having with this guitar. It didn't have any sort of character of its own. My first guitar was a strat copy with a maple neck, and the blazer was my main guitar almost directly after that.

I'm really looking for a fender or squier japan strat neck for this guitar, I'm snatching up the first cheap one I see. I have one now, but it's a Squier Bullet neck (fits tele).

Also I want to cut down to 3 guitars sometime in 08, the strat, les paul, and ovation, so if I'm only going to have 3 guitars, one of em needs a maple neck.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Ha! Of course maple is better!
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

I think maple just looks the best on strats and tele's. Thats just me though.
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I like maple better than rosewood, and ebony better than rosewood too. I think Rosewood kind of sucks playing wise, although it sounds fine.

I like how Fender does the rosewood on the AVRIs, it's dark. I don't know if they stain it or what. A lot of lower end guitars use rosewood that's very porous with awful streaks and it's dry and terrible all around.

I like the old Brazilian rosewood somewhat but you can't really get that anymore except for old stock.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I like the rosewood better with teh ronburgandyz, but your blazer neck looks cool on there, purely because it wasn't meant to be. The maple neck does transform it into a Corgan Strat though, that was the first thing I thought when I opened this thread and saw the pic.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"