500K/1 Megs in a Mustang?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Aeon

500K/1 Megs in a Mustang?

Post by Aeon »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried replacing the 250K pots in a Mustang with a higher value.

I already replaced the original pickups with lace sensors, which I believe are technically humbuckers anyways. I'm assuming a 1Meg mod would make the guitar sound a lot closer to a Jaguar.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

jaguars come stock with 250K pots dont they?
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

if you want your mustang to sound close to a stock jaguar you should buy SJAG-1 pickups from seymour duncan. lace sensors are just going to make you sound like eric clapton
dots wrote:incesticide
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

Jaguars have 1 meg pots, yes. IMO changing to 1 megs will get you the Jag sound more than using actual Jag pickups will, as they aren't really too different from run of the mill low output singles.

Lace Sensors... I really dislike them, but I think they're still technically singles. The 1 megs might help, but in the (250k) axes I've tried them in they have very little single coil sparkle or twang.
Aeon

Post by Aeon »

I tried the SJAG3 in the bridge, it sounded like garbage. All midrange. I'm sure the SJAG1s are closer to a normal jag pickup though. The stock singles are alright, but way too noisy to ever be applicable in a live situation.

Jagermeister, that dullness you are describing seems to be symptomatic of lace sensors because I'm pretty sure they are humbuckers, or at least some sort of dual coil design. I will try putting in 1Meg pots and see how that effects the guitar. I made this topic just to see if anyone had tried this modification before, and what the end result was.
purplehaze19x

Post by purplehaze19x »

Lace's are ok, i have a Lace Red and Gold in my '65 Stang. And yeah, they do lack that brightness, but i think thats because they are not magnetic :?: im not for sure but i do believe they are just noiseless, high output single coils. if im wrong im sure someone here will set me straight.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I put 500k pots in my Mustang, which has got JB Jrs in it.
Sounds much better and brighter.