Marauder

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

the slanted fret thing is common, more than you realize, i have seen a few macaferri's with "fan" frets, its becuz the guitar is a bastard instrument that does not intonate, at all, it is always slightly off, in some way.
the fan frets was to get better intoneation.
but in the end, its pretty much the same as straight frets.
i remember reading, also, that there were 16 marauders made.
only a handful are still in the u.s. most were bought by big time japanese lawyers n stuff in the 80's
somewhere there is a 66 add featureing a color photo of 6 marauders.
i remember thinking they were just about the sexiest thing in the pics.
Last edited by robert(original) on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

robert(original) wrote:most were bought my big time japanese lawyers n stuff in the 80's
you have big time japanese lawyers? can I borrow them sometime?
RichieDagger
Child Despised

Post by RichieDagger »

DGNR8 wrote:
dazed&abused wrote:Image

yr right, tho apparantly the trem required a huge amount space. doesnt look like it from here tho.
holy crapzorz! I don't even know what's going on with that one and I want it. Fat chance of that
Pickups under the pickguard, dead classy.

Member of the 10,000+ Posts Club.
dazed&abused

Post by dazed&abused »

is that an original prototype? or a remake? looks proper good condition. I heard 8 made, 4 of each, might be wrong. the custom shop did a one-off 12 string in '03 too.

jcyphe-wtf? suck my balls, simple as. Explorers are ugly & hugely heavy, worse than les pauls. Whereas the gibson marauder is a bolt on neck single coil gibson, of which i think its the only one. I figured that a site about odd fenders would quite like an odd gibson thats trying to be a fender.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

I believe the Marauder thing above is a custom shop job of some sort, for sure it isn't a real 60s one though...

As for the Explorers, I could think of guitars I would want to play less (and Gibsons too) but the Explorer doesn't stand out as one of the brighter moments in ergonomics, plus they still sound like Gibsons, which give them a minus in my book. They look cool though. I can applaud the Gibson Marauder for apparently not trying to sound like a Gibson (at least a few other bolt on Gibsons exist in that same family of instruments), but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Marauders sucked. Still I'd like to try one someday...
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

dazed&abused wrote:the gibson marauder is a bolt on neck single coil gibson, of which i think its the only one. I figured that a site about odd fenders would quite like an odd gibson thats trying to be a fender.
With you, 100%. I think thats actually my favorite gibson guitar and was the quasi inspiration for my second rob og tele.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

dazed&abused wrote:is that an original prototype? or a remake? looks proper good condition. I heard 8 made, 4 of each, might be wrong. the custom shop did a one-off 12 string in '03 too.

jcyphe-wtf? suck my balls, simple as.
A bolt on neck Gibson is like your posting style, wack as fuck.
dazed&abused

Post by dazed&abused »

...as much as i'd love to get into a discussion as to how much of a cock-knocker each of us is, i'm offski for the weekend. Got far better things to do, like get wasted and dance like a ian curtis havin a fit. byesybye.
aen
Turdscreamer

Re: Marauder

Post by aen »

dazed&abused wrote:Anyone any idea what all the switches do on the Marauder II?
I've touched that one. It definetly felt like a prototype.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

They should reissue this guitar.

Regardless of how the reasons for deciding not to launch it back in the day, if they sold it now, dickheads like us would lap it up.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

This is what Robert should be making a few of, in this configuration. It's a Jazzy shape with attainable Strat and Jag parts and hidden pickups. All those things are off-the-shelf, right? That proto would be impossible.

Yell Like Hell
luke

Post by luke »

The Marauder II is on my to-do-list for when I get my guitar fixing facilities done. My father said he can get the metal parts made up, and the rest is easily obtainable. I'd have to get someone to sort me out with the neck, but the body and that would be easy. That's my dream guitar, it's so beautiful.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

That guitar is WELL nice.

Where you beeene Malik? Aint seen you around in a few days, maybe I'm just not paying attention though..
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...that might be the ONLY axe in the world where superhot pickups are necessary :lol:
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jcyphe wrote:
dazed&abused wrote:on the subject of marauders, what do people think of these...

gibson marauder
I think Doog and couple others have expressed a like for them, i think they're one of the worst guitars Gibson made.
Aye, only ever tried the 80s Jap copy I had though, wanna rock out on a real one at some point.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

the 4 slider switches would be kinda hard to get...
aen, when i come up can we go to see that guitar?
luke

Post by luke »

I'm sure something similar could be tracked down on an electronics website. In fact, I'll look now.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

This is such a newbie thread. YOU FUCKING NEWBS.