New guitar time soon - Opinions?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Will
Up on his Whore Lore

New guitar time soon - Opinions?

Post by Will »

I'm looking at inexpensive new guitars - $200 range (limiting, I know, but still doable)

Here's what I'm considering:
Dano '63: http://danelectro.com/guitars_black.html
Pros: I LOVE my 1448, so this would be a nice compliment and I could tune it down a bit with the longer scale; I like the way the new danos sound even though they're not totally accurate; looks ace in black or green.
Cons: Already have 2 lipsticked semi-hollows and I doubt I would really use another enough.

Agile AL-2000: http://www.rondomusic.com/al20003tsspalted.html
Pros: I don't have any true humbucker guitars; I like the Les Paul shape and feel.
Cons: Heavy, boring looking; Would probably need a fair number of upgrades.

Robert(og) Project: based on http://www.silvertoneworld.net/electric ... 57_59.html
Discussed a short while back before the server switch. Basically, I'd send Rob a 24" scale neck I have lying around and he'd build a semi-hollow C style body for it. All the usual Dano stuff (plus strangle switch) and spray painted matte black.
Pros: Unique; SHORT SCALE!!!; would be able to tweak and get just what I'm after.
Cons: Already have 2 lipsticked semi-hollows.

Opinions? Suggestions? I use an AD15 on the AC15 setting, never use distortion, looking for a cross between Jazz and Jangle.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

wilshire re issue 250$
dots wrote:incesticide
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

I'd go wit the RobOG... I like his work. However, I have played a Agile 2500, and it is nice. Just make sure you have the muscles for it, that bitch is way heavier than an Epi... Also, I didn't like the fretboard as much as a maple fretboard, but tha's me! And I have no opinion of Danos...
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

dude i got idea ....

Hand Maded Dano 63 , Maded of ol Good Real wood even basswood or whatever you can hold on :lol: , i say Ash ...
thats will looks terrific
true lipsticks ! , and heavy chambered body like an semi-acustic but whit more wood in sides and full thin top whit no wholes and thin back on
the top and back will be perfect to hide the big whole of dano controls
Dano 63 style shape , Tom and String thuru , maple neck rosewood scale and 3x3 pegheads ...

ahhhhhh

i vote you ask robertog do body for you 8)
and i vote you ask Davedodgedart if they can do the pickguard

i feel new project just borning
Precise dwarf bravery
minifox13

Post by minifox13 »

iCEByTes wrote:
literally the greatest thing thats ever happened
iCEByTes wrote:when an Biggaa wanted an Blind Bling No shim O Car , yeah
Cmon
Fo Shinzzle
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

I'm thinking I like the Dano '63 for now and maybe wait to sell off a bunch of other stuff over the summer to start the Rob(og) project.

I want the U-1 project to be really nice, not just cobbled together. Maybe with a custom neck and everything, but that would push it out of the $200 range. If it ever gets done, it would probably become my #1.

Now the question is Black for the '63 (to match my 1448) or Keen Green (which just looks awesome)?
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

robroe wrote:wilshire re issue 250$
I agree with Rob Roe!
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

dodgedartdave wrote:
robroe wrote:wilshire re issue 250$
I agree with Rob Roe!
Well, the output BETWEEN the knobs is frickin sexy...
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I love dano u-1s. it would be awesome to have an actual nicely made one. I'm sure rob(og) would love a project like that.

on some parts site I've seen the necks for sale before. actually, I've seen lots of parts around for danos. It would really be very possible to put one together. you'd just have to make the body and finish everything.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

iCEByTes wrote:dude i got idea ....

Hand Maded Dano 63 , Maded of ol Good Real wood even basswood or whatever you can hold on :lol: , i say Ash ...
true lipsticks ! , and heavy chambered body like an semi-acustic but whit more wood in sides and full thin top whit no wholes and thin back on
Dano 63 style shape , Tom and String thuru , maple neck rosewood scale and 3x3 pegheads ...

ahhhhhh

Why would you make a guitar that looks like a Danelectro, but sounds nothing like one? What's wrong with the way regular Danelectros are constructed? You're an idiot.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

mage wrote:I love dano u-1s. it would be awesome to have an actual nicely made one. I'm sure rob(og) would love a project like that.

on some parts site I've seen the necks for sale before. actually, I've seen lots of parts around for danos. It would really be very possible to put one together. you'd just have to make the body and finish everything.
I've seen those, but they're all standard scale. If I were building custom anyway, I'd want like 24" max, but preferably >23.5" and extra-low frets.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

ekwatts wrote:
iCEByTes wrote:dude i got idea ....

ahhhhhh

Why would you make a guitar that looks like a Danelectro, but sounds nothing like one? What's wrong with the way regular Danelectros are constructed? You're an idiot.
Eric posted this before I could so I'm +1 it.

Seriously, no point in doing a Dano if it doesn't sound like one.
euan
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

get a whilshire.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

robert(original) wrote:get a whilshire.
you know what? yeah. +1
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Well, looks like sort of a moot point now. It appears my mom and grandparents are going in half-sies on a black U-1 reissue for my birthday **happy** **happy** **happy** .

It'll be a nice project for the summer - new duncan lipstick, 50s style wiring, whatnot.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

but we just all outvoted you...

actually i would love to A/B a wilshire and a dano. im sure together they could make a huge aray of tones together on stage.

much more than every fucking band that rolls thru town with two fucking assholes playing black SG's and some manslut rocking a olp
dots wrote:incesticide
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Paint it black and install some lipsticks, then I'd be all over it.