jag bass sighting

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

jag bass sighting

Post by robert(original) »

one of the shitty opeing bands for voltair had a bass player with a black jag bass, it sounded great!
but here is the kicker,
he had the(baby kissing, cat pettin, coorperate rock whore nirvans shirt on with long blonde hair...)
i thought about beating his ass and stealing thebass but voltaire talked me out of it.
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

I've always wanted one of those, but all the active electronics and shit scare me...

The red ones with matching headstock are pure sex.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i played one, didn;t like it, the neck was too.... round.
the electronics were too.....strong.
but the looks were perfect!
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

Too bad about the neck. I always thought they were mostly like a Jazz Bass.

You are right, they do look amazing.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

I've got a red one and I bought it based on looks. A friend of mine works for an online retailer so I got it with a case at cost. The guy that plays bass in my band plays a jazz bass and has played my jaguar a few times with nothing but good things to say about it. The active electronics are cool, but like ROBog I think they are a little overwhelming. The good thing is you can just turn them off.
It would have been nice if Fender had offered a couple of different options when designing this bass. I would like a nice flat & wide P-bass neck and P-bass pickups with a jazz pick up on the bridge.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

I thought they had the same neck as the Jazz...
I was considering getting one a while back, but I reckon the're a little overpriced here in the UK....
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

vivadeluxxe wrote:I thought they had the same neck as the Jazz...
I always thought so too. It feels the same to me, but I've never played them side by side.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Mine feels "smaller" than my old '78, it's certainly not as thick.

Three months in now, I pretty much like the Jaguar Bass. Pickups in passive mode do lack a good amount of character, but some compression and EQ'ing has made it fairly OKAY sounding out of the box. My main disappointment is the expected that would come from a Jazz Bass player, which is the lack of volume control between the p'ups...the bridge pickup is way to hot as well, it has none of that nasal character than provides a full frequency bite when coupled with the neck. Will I buy a set of $300 Bardens? No, but the originals really need to go.

The active mode is aggresively more impressive than I had thought, as it's been a decade since I relied on an active bass circuit. So far it's been in use as a testicular boost switch.
boyecho

Post by boyecho »

i like the jag bass. the active electronics were kind of impressive to me.

though i'd do the p-bass mid pickup mod. i love a pbass pup and jazz together.

then i'd probably turn the active controls into something akin to a mutey, rumbly, rhythm circuit.

but the shape is great. look is great. i'd love to see white with matching headstock. or black. the aged inlays aren't too keen though.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I see no benefit of the Jag Bass over a Jazz Bass.

Like ultratwin says, I live for blending those two pickups.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Spud WK got a red one recently, I'm gonna have a go on it at next band practise. Would much prefer to have a passive J-bass anyways, but there you go.

Fuck knows why he bought an active anyways, I'm not sure if his amp even has an active input.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Because he's a chonst?

Red? Yucko.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Fuck all the HATERZ.

The Jag bass looks awesome as fuck. I didn't even know it has active shit. It's switchable, so that makes it even better.

I dicked around with one at Guitar Center one time. Really liked it.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I played one at guitar center and everything on it was broken, because at that time apparently nobody that worked at that store set foot in the bass section for at least 6 months because everything back there was broken and out of tune.

Then I played one at another shop in raleigh and it sounded ok... I would never pay that much for that bass when they had the deluxe series MIM active jazzy hanigng on the wall right next to it for $250 less which sounded way better!! I didn't really like the sound of it when played on passive mode, and the active sound was pretty weak for an active bass, not as much punch and clarity as you would expect from an active bass, it seems like they just threw that option in there just so people would be like "hey it's active and passive! sweet!" but neither option really sounds particularly good for how much it costs and when compared to other fender basses.
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

i played a black one at GC recently and it was really cool. i thought it was a great playing bass.

and i think "chonst" is the best word ever, like.
rich people say fuck yeah hey hey
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Jag Bass is a Chonst compared ter the THUNDERCAT.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury