Just sold a guitar I've had since 7th grade

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Just sold a guitar I've had since 7th grade

Post by Will »

My friend was looking for a good electric, so I sold her my MIM Fender Tele for $200. Not sure how to feel about this - a bit bitter sweet. I know I wasn't really going to play it much anymore, that my tastes have changed substantially from when I bought it, that I could replace it for less with an upgraded SX, that I probably would have sold it anyway this summer.

Still, I have a lot of memories wrapped up in it - at least it's going to a friend and not some stranger. It really is a great sounding instrument.

I'm gonna sell a bunch of other gear as well and start saving up for a black '57 Silvertone 1317.
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

I have a '97 MIM toploader Tele that I've had since 7th Grade, too. Though I rarely play it, and I hate the pickups, I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it. I've been thinking of turning it in to an Esquire...

BTW, I salute you for being able to detach yourself from something that you don't use. I'm a bit of a hoarder.
brambleperro

Post by brambleperro »

Good for you! It's a weird feeling, but after a little while it's somewhat relieving.

I just sold the first instrument that I ever bought - a Playmate bass that I found used for $20. I passed it on to a friend for $10 and some taco bell. I'm really glad that it's in the hands of someone who will actually use it, since I really hate the sound now that I've moved on to better things.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

I'll tell you now, I wish I still had my first guitars.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

I still have my first 5/8 size yamaha acoustic and my first electric (squier strat)

the Tele isn't my first by a long shot, I've just had it a long time. It would have been much easier to let go if it didn't sound so damn good. My problem is I literally have great sounding guitars all over the place - to sit down in my house you have to move a great sounding guitar - so my only justification for holding on to it was that I had owned it for a long time.

I know philosophically that it will never really go away, though. She'll play it for a while, then maybe sell it or pass it along to someone else. It'll still have all its scars (big dent from the audition for my first band, etc). It'll keep making music for a long time to come. And I know I'm gonna save the money for something special.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Ninja Mike 808 wrote:I'll tell you now, I wish I still had my first guitars.
The first guitars I gigged were a borrowed Futurama and a borrowed Burns, both owned by our bass player's older brother.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I have the re-animated corpse of my first guitar, made with a third of the OG parts. THe wrong third. But it feels like the real thing. I think once you bust though that wall, they all seem like just guitars. Keep them if you can, but if not, you aren't missing anything unless it's magical. Selling it to a female friend is about the best thing you can do with it. :)
Yell Like Hell