HOUSE OF GUITARS PHOTOS <3 SLOANY BLOGNEY

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the giant cab is somewhere in this pile of stuff. the photo came out really really dark. anyone care to work photoshop magic with it?
dots wrote:incesticide
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Mike wrote:Here in England the shops are way smaller, that place looks like you could get lost in there. The most I've done in London is like 4 pedals or 2 guitars or amps before moving shops. They get all pissy if you're not buying something.
you guys don't have massive guitar center style stores? guitar center is great 'cause the employees don't care what you do, even the vintage room in hollywood. i'll just sit there for hours and play every guitar they've got.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nope, closest we had was Sound Control which is now bust.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Mike wrote:Nope, closest we had was Sound Control which is now bust.
The old Sound Control near me in Stockton is now called Reverb, or something, same type of sign as well.
NickS

Post by NickS »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:
Mike wrote:Here in England the shops are way smaller, that place looks like you could get lost in there. The most I've done in London is like 4 pedals or 2 guitars or amps before moving shops. They get all pissy if you're not buying something.
you guys don't have massive guitar center style stores? guitar center is great 'cause the employees don't care what you do, even the vintage room in hollywood. i'll just sit there for hours and play every guitar they've got.
Nothing like the pics above. Swan's in Cardiff is a reasonable size, but I only played (and bought) the one guitar. Dawson's at Reading (part of a chain) is big, like a warehouse unit, but I don't know how they are about you trying guitars. My son played on digital drums there for quite a while (on headphones) with no-one bothering him, while I looked at the synths. I've spent an hour trying Les Pauls in Guitar Village at Farnham when they were quiet (weekday) and they weren't at all fussed. I think it depends on how busy they are. Fret Music in Southampton have some booths, like Anderton's in Guildford, but the owner's an a-hole.
Richard

Post by Richard »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:
Guitar center here doesn't have shit for vintage stuff. Ive seen 3 or 4 vintage Gibsons in there in the last few years, and Ive never seen a vintage Fender there at all.

Edit: actually, I've never seen a vintage guitar from any other manufacturer there.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

the guitar centers around here get a fair deal of vintage stuff. usually '70s strats, but the sherman oaks one seems to consistently have at least one vintage jaguar. and the hollywood guitar center has a massive two-floor room of vintage stuff.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

timhulio wrote:They got a website? I'd go for the red hagstrom II :)
The have the funniest philosophy. They never really blowout stock or put anything on clearance. Their whole idea is that sooner or later somebody will want it. So they just have a huge stockpile of guitars. The brothers that run it also air all these really budget commercials on TV.

http://www.houseofguitars.com/
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

yea joeys right.

they don't go out of thier way for anyone. hell they only got that website within the last month.

they don't really need to. everyone knows about it. there are autographed photos all over the inside of the place with members of bands posing with the owners....everyone from keith richards to james hetfield.

the value of the store can only go up if they sit on what they have. im assuming they outright own the building by now since its been around for every, so they don't have to pay rent...probably all they need to worry about it rediculous guitar insurance and taxes....and with these burnouts its entierely possible they don't pay either. so awesome
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

thats not to say that everything in there is vintage either. there is TONS of brand new stuff in there, probably more than a guitar center would stock....the only difference being that they have 1 white, red, or black mexican strat and GC has 10 of them uglying up the place. they have rad (new) oddball shit....all the mexican offsets, brand new time machine custom shop fenders....tons of shit. its just that there is so much vintage shit in there it makes it look small in comparison when it really isn't
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

HOG is sweet. Like Rob says, stuff is literally piled on shit. I had to move like 3 $1000+ Gibsons and shit out of the way to get the JOAN JETT Melody Maker out of the case. There's almost no way to grab a guitar without having to move another one, unless said guitar is just on a stand outside the cases. It's insane. They had one of those tiny, tiny, nylon string basses and i was dicking around on it until i read the back and it said like $65000. FUCK.

I searched for BASSMAN TEN but didn't see one. It was probably buried under shit. They had liek 47583 Hot Rod Deluxes and some of them had the special finishes, like orange with black racing stripes. Looks cool, but it's still a HRD.

Also, that was me HAETING the j mascis jazzmaster. FUCK THAT GUITAR.

They also had the Elvis Costello poopcaster. It was awesome looking.
jeff

Post by jeff »

The best thing about House of Guitars is that it's like 4 tiny buildings held together with duct tape and bubblegum. Nothing is level and there are all these narrow passageways stuffed with guitars. I was in there for over an hour, and thought I'd seen everything and then all of a sudden HUGE room full of CD's and records and tapes and t-shirts and crap. It has to be experienced in person.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

thats the room shad and I spent all day in. after guitarfest 6000

im pretty sure we got yelled at by hilary after we got home because she always get out of work like at 330 on Sunday and wen don't even break a sweat at HOG until 4 and its still an 1.5 hour drive home
jamieb

Post by jamieb »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:

Interesting you say that, as I was just there a week or so ago (I'm assuming you're talking about the one on Sunset) and yeah, they didn't really seem to mind me fiddling around with their vintage stuff, or indeed anything else. They have a sweet pedal section upstairs too, spent a fair amount of time poking around that. I found a huge GC in Vegas as well which is worth a visit.

The guitar shops here are more like dark, pokey, generic instrument shops with a few guitars for sale. They're always owned by some old surly bloke who really doesn't want you to sit there and thrash one of their overpriced Teles to death.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I have never been to a "massive" Guitar Center. They're all small as fuck and I can't test powerslides.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

More Cowbell wrote:How much was that kingman? How did it sound/play?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

hardly anything in HOG has a price tag on it. when you do find something with a tag it is always the highest list price, never MSRP.
tribi9
Administrator

Post by tribi9 »

Where's the HOG?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

rochester NY

actually its in Greece NY, a suburb of rochester. right down the street from where Kodak camera's are all made