Tubescreamer knob issue

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

soma89

Tubescreamer knob issue

Post by soma89 »

hi, i got a ts808 reissue and the Level knob is very wobbly and feels very loose. It also goes past the indicated boundaries on the pedal. I'm thinking that it needs to be tightened but in order to do that i would think that i'd have to somehow remove the knob. Any ideas on how to tighten it? Cheers
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Take the back off the pedal as you will need to provide counter traction to the pot as you tighten the nut.

The knob should lift off the pot shaft with some force, or you can use a screwdriver as a lever. You should see a nut underneath that will be loose. Hold the pot inside the case to stop it rotating and tighten the nut. Replace the knob.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:The knob should lift off the pot shaft with some force, or you can use a screwdriver as a lever.
A teaspoon works well too. A teaspoon plus a kitchen towel is a good way of taking the knobs off guitars that you're afraid of damaging.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

BacchusPaul wrote:
Mike wrote:The knob should lift off the pot shaft with some force, or you can use a screwdriver as a lever.
A teaspoon works well too. A teaspoon plus a kitchen towel is a good way of taking the knobs off guitars that you're afraid of damaging.
Pro Tip.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I've managed to tighten knobs without taking off the back cover...be careful*...

Once you've removed the knob, it should have a slot. Insert a flat blade screwdriver into this slot, then turn in the opposite directtion you'll be tightening (turn volume down) until it stops, then tighten the nut lightly with a wrench, as you don't want to damage the pot, but it works if your in a jam. If you find you can't get the knob back on after tightening it, its because the slot has spread and you'll need to get a pair of plyers and squeeze the slot some until the knob fits snug.
soma89

Post by soma89 »

I did it, thanks a lot for the help. Tea Spoon trick worked like a charm!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I got a little worried when I read "Tubescreamer knob issue" but am relieved to know the ol' "teaspoon trick" sorted it out.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

basically, the ol tubescreamer teaspoon trick is where I get all my tone. yeah. all of it.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...