New Danelectro for me!

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

benecol

New Danelectro for me!

Post by benecol »

As I've wittered on about in the Diary thread previously, I've just bought one of these:

Well, it's just arrived at my work, and I've been sat for the last hour playing it (unplugged for now, sadly). I was a little worried, since I'd heard some ominous reports of the quality control of the first batch to have been delivered, but my worries turned out to be unfounded: it's a great guitar. The gold is quite green-y in the flesh, but that's OK by me, and the dull metal bridge, pickups and machine heads don't look too bad: the scratch plate appears to have been reliced by primary school kids while they were making treasure maps, however. I'll see if I can clean it of with some acetone, if not, I'll learn to love it. I was also surprised at how thick the pickguard is - a good 4mm I reckon. The neck is much more satin finish than it appears in the photo above, and is really smooth; I was fair flying around it. Nice big frets, too. I always find Dano string spacing a bit weird to start with, but I'll the the hang of it. Reckon it'll be a touch neck-heavy, but I've go a strap to cure that at home. Sounds fucking ace, just been sat at my desk playing the Wichita Lineman break, and bastardised C&W licks. Two thumbs up from camp Benecol: will report back when I've plugged it in later.
Reece

Post by Reece »

That actually looks really cool, I love the body shape and the dull finish on the bridge and pickups.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Love the brushed chrome, I'm not a fan of too much shinyshiny.

DEMO VIDZ??
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yeah I actually really like the dulled metal.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Doog wrote:DEMO VIDZ??
Not got anything in the way of cameras other than the one in my laptop, not microphones... I'll see about nicking a mic from work sometime.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

lurv them goldz.
yaksox

Post by yaksox »

I dig the dull greenish gold too.

I got a Dano Pro a couple of months back and am meaning to post a thread here raving on about how much I like it. It's an 07 model, but it's the same colour as yours.
I can imagine there were folks cruising around in cadillacs back in '63 that were this colour - swish!

Let us know how the pickups are when it's plugged in. Is there a much of a diff in distance pickup --> strings, comparing the two pickups? There is with the Pro I have and makes for very different sounds.
Hi! I'm
benecol

Post by benecol »

Righto, had a chance to plug in to the vibrochamp for a while this afternoon, and can report that it sounds the absolute business: the neck pickup is lovely and smooth and piano-y sounding, the bridge is twangier than my telecaster, really percussive and click-clacky, and the both pickups together position is really boosted and grunty sounding. The pots are a bit iffy, and only really do anything in the last 25% of their travel, but that's no great shakes, and I play with the controls wide open most of the time anyhow.
yaksox wrote:Let us know how the pickups are when it's plugged in. Is there a much of a diff in distance pickup --> strings, comparing the two pickups? There is with the Pro I have and makes for very different sounds.
Pickup height is about the same for both, and while the outputs are pretty evenly matched, they sound very different.
letsgocoyote

Post by letsgocoyote »

very nice. i wish they wouldhave used the silvertone headstock shape and not painted the neck black though
benecol

Post by benecol »

The painted neck feels great though, and doesn't have the sqqqquuueeeaaaaak that the more glossy neck on my longhorn did. Looks nice too, I think.
soma89

Post by soma89 »

If these sound as good as the Silvertone 1448's, 1449's, and 1457's then your in for a treat!
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Arsecake and I were drooling over these.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

when me and sloan were playing the sonic blue one at HOG it had this weird yellow shit all over the side binding.

it wasn't really sticky but it looked like yellowed newspaper paper w/o the print was stuck all over it. fucking weird.

guitar sounded great. the neck was kinda primative feeling for me. like a fucking viking club or something
dots wrote:incesticide
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

Yeah it looks ace...
Another +1 for the dull metal...
benecol

Post by benecol »

robroe wrote:when me and sloan were playing the sonic blue one at HOG it had this weird yellow shit all over the side binding.

it wasn't really sticky but it looked like yellowed newspaper paper w/o the print was stuck all over it. fucking weird.

guitar sounded great. the neck was kinda primative feeling for me. like a fucking viking club or something
Yep, that'll be the "vintage mojo relicing", somewhere between making a pretend treasure map with cold tea and a bongwater accident. My binding tape seems to have escaped comparatively unharmed, but I think I'm going to break out the nail varnish remover for the scratchplate.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

The pickguard on the originals doesn't yellow; that makes it seem even worse. How well is the side tape adhered?
benecol

Post by benecol »

We can file this under "mass produced relicing" rather than "period correct relicing", not sure which is better, mind. I do wish it wasn't reliced at all, to be honest. Anyhow. Side tape is fine. Apparently, the problems stemmed from overstretchig the tape to make it go a bit further on the first batch: it would gradually shrink back and come unstuck etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

benecol wrote:
robroe wrote:when me and sloan were playing the sonic blue one at HOG it had this weird yellow shit all over the side binding.

Yep, that'll be the "vintage mojo relicing", somewhere between making a pretend treasure map with cold tea and a bongwater accident. My binding tape seems to have escaped comparatively unharmed, but I think I'm going to break out the nail varnish remover for the scratchplate.
hey when you do put varnish on it can you tell me if it works, iv got a dc 59 that i might do the same thing to.