Tiny Terror + Overdrive Pedal

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

DanHeron

Tiny Terror + Overdrive Pedal

Post by DanHeron »

Hey! First Post! :)

I have been reading this forum for ages but never really felt i had much to contribute (I don't own a shortscale - yet!). But now I have a question which I thought you guys might be able to help me with.

I have an Orange Tiny Terror with an Orange 112 cab. I've had it for ages now, almost a year I think, and I love it. However the one thing I miss is having 2 channels. I want to be able to switch from a clean/crunchy sound to a high-gain 'ROCKKKK' sound. Obviously using just the amp for this would require some knob fiddling which is fine usually, but I now want to switch beetween the settings during a song so it needs to be be instant. So, I'm looking for an overdrive pedal for the high-gain sound.

I've never really been that interested in pedals, usually just use the amp sounds. Also there is so much choice and the price range is huge, so I'm a bit lost.
Just wondering what overdrive/distortion pedals you use/recommend? I want the sound to be similar to the Tiny Terror's high-gain sound.

Thanks,
Dan.

PS: So far I have been interested in - Artec 70'S DRIVE BLENDER
EH Double Muff
Ibanez Tube Screamer

Not too concerned about price atm, would prefer to pay a bit more for something decent that will last than go for the cheapest one.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Check out the gear demos Mike has done. He's covered quite a few dirt pedals and I think all of the demos are done with his TT.
Shabba.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Cheers! I will go and listen/watch.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

link

There are quite a lot of demos done by other people in there, and some of them might also be a TT (Zaphod?) but considering Mike has a lot of dirt pedals defintely done with the TT I'd check those first for an easy comparison.
Shabba.
Reece

Post by Reece »

My demo of the shredmaster is done with the tt, unlikely to find one though.
DanHeron wrote:I want the sound to be similar to the Tiny Terror's high-gain sound.
I've got zoom pd-01 (mike has demoed it). It sounds quite alot like the TT, it's not got a great amount of gain on tap though.

If you're in the UK I'm looking to sell it.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The TT is a Marshally/Orange mix I think when cranked, so I think you might like the Marshall Bluesbreaker II and Marshall Guv'nor II demos on there. Both are very cheap second hand.

James is right, absolutely all my pedal demos are done with teh TT.

There are a load more here:

http://www.youtube.com/mikelivesley
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Double muff sounds great into a tiny terror. Very underrated pedal, just because it's not all "BLAAAAAAH DISTORTIONCRUNNNCH! LISTENTOMEEEE!"
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

I've got zoom pd-01 (mike has demoed it). It sounds quite alot like the TT, it's not got a great amount of gain on tap though.

If you're in the UK I'm looking to sell it.
I watched Mikes demo.. sounds really nice.

How much you asking for it? (I'm from Manchester, UK by the way).
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

A bit pricey, but my Blackstar pedal sounds great into the TT.
Reece

Post by Reece »

£25 posted? I've got the original box and it's it good condition.

The only pic I've got to hand is this one:

You might have to wait a week or so, the pedal is at home and I'm at uni and I don't know when I'm going home next.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Yeah, sounds good!

You have Paypal? Maybe wanna PM me paying etc.
Reece

Post by Reece »

DanHeron wrote:
Yeah, sounds good!

You have Paypal? Maybe wanna PM me paying etc.
I'll send off a PM when I'm at home, I don't like taking payment before I can actually send something.

I might see about going home this weekend, but if not I'll try and remember to PM you next weekend so we can sort it out :D.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Try any Proco pedal - once you've gone RAT you'll never go back.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

I'll send off a PM when I'm at home, I don't like taking payment before I can actually send something.

I might see about going home this weekend, but if not I'll try and remember to PM you next weekend so we can sort it out Very Happy.
Nice one! :D
Haze

Post by Haze »

Box of Rock
dead awesome overdrive and really rocks with the gain cranked
Mike did mine for $160 shipped
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

you might consider something i recently tried, dan. i have a fender pro jr that gets a really great overdriven tone at full tilt on its one and only channel. to give me the ability to harness that sound, i simply plugged in mike's saltbooster with the volume turned almost completely down so when the the pedal was engaged, the tone from the amp was sparkly clean and loud. when off, we have a full blown roar. i found it the best way to preserve that real "amp overdrive" without have to futz with a volume pedal (which is a pretty cool alternative to this).

might give it a try. . .
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

you might consider something i recently tried, dan. i have a fender pro jr that gets a really great overdriven tone at full tilt on its one and only channel. to give me the ability to harness that sound, i simply plugged in mike's saltbooster with the volume turned almost completely down so when the the pedal was engaged, the tone from the amp was sparkly clean and loud. when off, we have a full blown roar. i found it the best way to preserve that real "amp overdrive" without have to futz with a volume pedal (which is a pretty cool alternative to this).

might give it a try. . .
That sounds good..
I watched the video demo of it and really like it. But, I dont really understand how it works.. do you need to turn your amp down? If so, wont it be a lot quieter when the pedal is not switched on?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

DanHeron wrote:

might give it a try. . .
That sounds good..
I watched the video demo of it and really like it. But, I dont really understand how it works.. do you need to turn your amp down? If so, wont it be a lot quieter when the pedal is not switched on?
Having the boost pedal on quietly (I have a boost made by Mike and the unity gain is at say 3 or 4 if 10 is the maximum rotation, so below that will give a quieter signal whenthe pedal is on), when you engage the pedal you will give the amp a lower signal, similar to turning the guitar volume down on the guitar. It will be different tonally to just using the volume knob on your guitar because the pedal has an impact on more than just the volume. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though, and you find a lot of players will play with a boost type pedal turned on all the time because they like the tone change it has.

You'll be able to do that with the powerdrive too. It's a good way of keeping the natural sound of the amp in 'roar' mode if you prefer just the amp for your full on drive sound. Get the amp on the sound you want for the high gain sound, then engage the pedal with thevolume low or off, turn the volume on the pedal up until you get enough volume but more of a crunch than a full blown dirt sound, then when you turn the pedal off it will stop attenuating the signal and you will be back to your roar.
Shabba.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Ahh, I see. Thats pretty cool. I never thought of doing it that way - using the amps high-gain settings then using a pedal to get the cleaner sounds. Sounds good!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: Tiny Terror + Overdrive Pedal

Post by Bacchus »

DanHeron wrote:Just wondering what overdrive/distortion pedals you use/recommend? ... Not too concerned about price atm, would prefer to pay a bit more for something decent that will last than go for the cheapest one.
Have you thought about the Super Saltbooster Turbo Deluxe? Mike'll build you one for only three hundred and fifty pounds.