My first Mustang (1965 Refin w/ Pics)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Chicago Mike

My first Mustang (1965 Refin w/ Pics)

Post by Chicago Mike »

So I finally got my fist mustang yesterday. It's a 1965 with a "B" neck, refinished in orangish/samon/shell pink color.

It came with the original case (in good shape) too.

I don't believe the pickups are stock, the switching harness at the top was replaced but they don't seem to fit correctly. They guy I got it from said the switches were for the newer RI mustangs and so it doesn't quite fit. Suppose I'll need to try and find a pair that does fit sometime.....they do work fine however.

The imput jack is a poppy when the cable moves, so that will need to be addressed. The hardware was painted black, which I'll need to figure out how to remove as I don't like it at all!

It plays great and sounds amazing. It's in really great shape, not chewed up and the frets look good too. The bridge and tuners are a little oxidized, but it gives it some Mojo I guess. The action is definately too high for me, but I don't have an allen wrench small enough to adjust the bridget.

I'm really proud of it and once it's fixed up to par it will be a tough decision of which to pickup and play over the Jag. I feel lucky as the old guy was cool as hell and cut me a deal at $575 (which I can barley fucking afford right now, but sometimes you just have to make it work).

Anyone have suggestions on what could strip the paint on the hardware and where someone could find affordable switches/wiring harness?

blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

grats!
nice color.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

ooh, nice colour, shame about the hardware. any idea what sort of paint that black stuff is? you'll need something that removes that but doesn't eat through the chrome underneath.

you can adjust the height of the bridge by turning the screws at the bottom of the bridge posts by hand.

i'd be tempted to lose the strat knobs and get some black pickup covers also, if i were you.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Very nice! But yeah, shame about the hardware etc. But once you get rid of that black paint, Strat knobs, and slap some robroes over the pickups it'll be "hella" beautiful.
Chicago Mike

Post by Chicago Mike »

Yeah, it's not without some labor in the future but I'm looking forward to getting her up to spec!

Is eBay the best place to start looking...
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

ebay's definitely your best bet.

also, try nail varnish remover on the paint.
Jesse
Neat

Post by Jesse »

I really like that colour, not gonna lie...
Chicago Mike

Post by Chicago Mike »

Right on, I'll pick some up today and see if the nail varnish works.

I guessing there has to be a product to pull pain off, but I haven't seen anything yet. I might also call up the local guitar repair shop and get their opinion if they'll offer that sort of advice.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

use citristrip.

just keep it away from plastic parts.
Chicago Mike

Post by Chicago Mike »

Yeah, I wasn't sold on it until I actually saw it in person. It's got a good vibe to it if that makes sense.

Thanks bubbles...have you used it in the past?
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

If you mess up the chrome on the control plate, I've got one you can have.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Nice! I like the colour. I'm still waiting for my first mustang, my first shortscale actually. I have some money saved up aswell, just waiting to find one that doesn't need to much work and isn't really expensive! Think I might end up getting a RI though...
Chicago Mike

Post by Chicago Mike »

Awesome, thanks Rod..at second glance it doesn't look too think and might come off easy (I hope).
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Chicago Mike wrote:Thanks bubbles...have you used it in the past?
yeah, it works well on most normal paints and is non-caustic. so you don't need to wear gloves and a mask.
astro

Post by astro »

Nail polish remover is just plain acetone. It's probably cheaper to buy it at a hardware store than at a pharmacy.

If you want the bridge saddles to look shiny and new, remove them from the bridge, flip them over, and re-install them that way. They're the same on both sides, and usually the corrosion is just on the side that makes contact with the player's hand.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

The paint, I like, and that's a sweet price. Removing the black will make it yours. Taking the parts off to apply paint remover will give you some practice looking inside the thing. Another thought might be lacquer thinner, but I could be wrong. Acetone is what is generally used for nail polish remover. I would think paint would come off more easily from metal than wood. Just make sure you do it in a well ventilated place with a respirator mask ($20) and rubber gloves. If you are broke, just get the gloves and do it outside.
Yell Like Hell
Chicago Mike

Post by Chicago Mike »

Thanks for the info everyone!

I' think I'm going to leave the saddles and rusty'ish parts as they are....but that might change once I clean up the painted parts back to chrome (might look funny if one's oxidized and the other is shinny).

Yah ,I was happy with price and color which made it worth it to eat ramen and turkey sandwhiches for a month.
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:use citristrip.

just keep it away from plastic parts.
Bubbles beat me to it :lol: Citrusstrip rules, its quick and smells ok too :wink:
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

oh yea sweet looking stang :wink:
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

BobArsecake wrote:Very nice! But yeah, shame about the hardware etc. But once you get rid of that black paint, Strat knobs, and slap some robroes over the pickups it'll be "hella" beautiful.
+1