Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Demo

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Demo

Post by Mike »

Stock demo, this pedal is pretty great out of the box, haven't heard the bypass issue people complain about.

[youtube][/youtube]

After modifications:
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Mike on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I didn't hear a problem with the bypass either, but when I modded mine, I decided to just go ahead and do the bypass mod too while I was there.

Great Demo Mike!

What mod are you gonna dew to this?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I might try the Keeley one I have some details on.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Mike wrote:I might try the Keeley one I have some details on.
KOOL. I was gonna suggest not doing the one I did as I dislike it. It would be great for screaming solo's but thats it.

Can't wait to hear your mods!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Thanks for reminding me I need this pedal. I fell in love with it when I found out it was James Shaw from Metric's main overdrive.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nick wrote:Thanks for reminding me I need this pedal. I fell in love with it when I found out it was James Shaw from Metric's main overdrive.
They're so hideously cheap that if you like the sound there's no reason not to buy one basically.

I used to have an OD-3 which I loved but had to sell when I was low on money and had bills to pay, I also owned a Turbo Overdrive OD-2R back in the day which I loved too. Boss's Overdrive series is pretty damn solid as far as I'm concerned. The distortions and fuzzes are a little more hit and miss.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Modd'd.

Will make a demo tomorrow maybe or when I can. Anyway, I'm really happy with it, I did this modification:
http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespide ... epfour.htm

The Keeley 5 Star mod. I socketed D6 and am using a NOS Germanium AC128 transistor and it sounds glorious. Brilliant Overdrive pedal now, much fuller.

Didn't bother rejigging the tone control as it sounds great anywhere up to 1 o clock. Had to do the bypass fix after my initial mod as the Gain increase made the problem obvious, you can hear a quiet overdriven ghost guitar along with your clean. That's fixed now though so this thing is a monster.

Playing my Jaguar through both pedals now and loving it.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Nice demo, the Jim Carey bit made me lol.
nomorebridge

Post by nomorebridge »

Not very helpful in the I know but I really liked your clean tone on this sans the pedal engaged... but obviously it could of been adding a little something who knows

look forward to the mod video
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Whats the difference between the boss sd-1 and od-3?
is the od-3 more gritty?
nomorebridge

Post by nomorebridge »

Noirie. wrote:Whats the difference between the boss sd-1 and od-3?
is the od-3 more gritty?
It's more 'super'.... I alway laugh at that name when I see mine..... how can we sell this pedal.... we shall call it a super overdrive..piss easy!

I think it has more Od/gain that the OD3 but i may be wrong
Reece

Post by Reece »

Noirie. wrote:Whats the difference between the boss sd-1 and od-3?
is the od-3 more gritty?
Mike did a demo of that too way back when:

[youtube][/youtube]

Incidentally, the very demo that brought me to shortscale.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Cheers Zaphod. I think the OD-3 has more gain stock than the SD-1 and is also more balanced in that it has a healthy bass across the spectrum. It's a lot more expensive though.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

nomorebridge wrote:Not very helpful in the I know but I really liked your clean tone on this sans the pedal engaged... but obviously it could of been adding a little something who knows

That was my Baja Telecaster into the Orange Tiny Terror through a 1x10" cab.
Reece

Post by Reece »

I nearly bought one based on that demo but I ended up with a zoom powerdrive instead somehow, bought after your demo of that haha.

Good salesman.
Reece

Post by Reece »

Mike wrote:
nomorebridge wrote:Not very helpful in the I know but I really liked your clean tone on this sans the pedal engaged... but obviously it could of been adding a little something who knows

Actually, have you changed something in your setup recently? I swear your cleans started sounding fuller and a bit more bassy on your demos recently.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

James lent me that to demo, like he has many pedals. He's a legend.

I wish I got commision though, from comments and youtube messages I've sold a lot of Tiny Terrors, Telecasters, Mustangs, Jaguars and Marshalls.
nomorebridge

Post by nomorebridge »

I was talking out my ass with regard the OD3, sorry mate, I just Super would equate more gain..glad mike's set you right

Nice I'm not the only one to notice the clean tone thingy even if it's in both our heads :)

I reckon for me it's the baja that's doing it but I dunno... I wonder how much they will go up on the 1st bugger it
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Zaphod wrote:
Mike wrote:

Actually, have you changed something in your setup recently? I swear your cleans started sounding fuller and a bit more bassy on your demos recently.
I've been taking a bit more care over mic position, and maybe also recording them at a bit of a louder volume to get more out of the TT. I was doing them quite quiet before so as not to piss anyone off. Now I don't care. My neighbours on the left are pothead idiots who have friends over to have loud conversations on Sunday nights, and on the right they're pikeys with kids who play recorders and that.

I've been using the Tele on some demos recently as I think it's more of a familiar reference sound for people than my Jaguar, which I love (it's my number one now), but isn't for everyone
Reece

Post by Reece »

ahh yeah running the tt louder is probably it.