Franken-Sonic Nearly Complete.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Franken-Sonic Nearly Complete.

Post by endsjustifymeans »

Jagmaster neck is on, and it's a great neck. Jaguar control plate is on and controls phase reversal, coil split and kill switch. SD SHR-1 in Bridge and SD SJAG-3 in neck position. Has string through bridge from toronado. And I shielded her with copper tape while I was in there.

Left to do... Just need to get some locking tuners for it and take it in for an intonation and setup. The new neck needs mad adjustment it buzzes all over the fretboard unless I have the action set ALL the way up, which is not how I like it. Makes sense though, it was never intended to be on a Duo reissue. My guitar guys will be able to take are of it for me. Played with all the switches before the neck replacement... I can make some crazy tones with all those options.

Outside of that I just need to find someone to make me a "Fender Franken-Sonic" Head stock transfer and I can stick a fork in her.

I learned alot from this, my first customization project.

A: I am the world worst solderer... looks awful in there, all connections are solid, but it looks like a 3 year old did the work. I suck.
B: I am no good at altering pick guards... I trimmed too much off in the neck area leaving a small blank spot, it's all nasty and jagged around the curves of the bridge, and the jaguar switch plate hole is just a little off... causeing it to lift just slightly at the bottom of it.
C: I screw up the finish when I drill through guitars, lol. Next time smaller bit and more sanding.

Do I care that it has all of these little issue, not in the least. They're all superficial and it was my first go around. I know where I need to be more careful with my next project now. This one has... personality. :)
After a setup by some ACTUAL guitar techs... she's gonna be one hell of a player.

Now what do I dig my hand into next...
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...Do Jagmaster necks of any scale intonate at all when coupled to RI Duo bodies, given the fact that those are two of the wonkiest, most non-standard necks that Fender has ever produced? :shock:

Also, is the Jag plate actually above the pickguard, or is it just shimmed up with washers?

As long as its all functional, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I can imagine the Jag plate there getting a little cluttered... Still a pretty cool axe. :)
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

We'll see about the intonation... frankly it could never intonate properly with the 22" neck either, so if it's still slightly off... I'm no further ahead or behind. It' measures precisely 12" from 12th to bridge though... so it's a good sign. I'm gonna have the pro's handle the intonation this time. Get it as close as humanly possible.

The Jag plate is above the pickguard, I actually cut the hole just slighly smaller than the plate so it would sit on top like that. I like it that way... it's not a Jag, not intended to look like a Jag. It's kind of got a Teisco vibe to it actually. It actually didn't get in the way at all when I strung it up briefly, and it's in a very convenient spot to flip the switches.

I'll let you know about the intonation situation when I get it back from the shop. I didn't realize that the new Jagmaser necks were non standard 24"s when I bought it, otherwise I'd have held out for more standard neck. But I'm working with what I've got.

She's not for everybody to be sure... but for my first mod-job, I'm pretty happy. Granted when the guitarshop call me up and says there is no way they can get that neck to work out with that body... I'm sure I'll be sining a different tune.
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I have a good feeling about this.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

aen wrote:I have a good feeling about this.
Well at least thats one of us... would have helped if I had known jack squat about altering guitars before I started.

I've always been a dive right in and don't read instructions until something breaks kinda guy.

If it's FUBAR I have an excuse to buy a new guitar. It's win-win. lol
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Those Jag switches look like bad news for your riffing game.
That said, I love the look of this project. It has a real dogish, "fuck you appeal" that I very much appreciate.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

endsjustifymeans wrote:We'll see about the intonation... frankly it could never intonate properly with the 22" neck either, so if it's still slightly off... I'm no further ahead or behind. It' measures precisely 12" from 12th to bridge though... so it's a good sign. I'm gonna have the pro's handle the intonation this time. Get it as close as humanly possible.
...Good to know, actually... :)
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

i too like this project. frankly, i like anything that bucks the norm. i like anything that says "i like my guitar like this and you can fuck off if you don't like it."
paul_

Post by paul_ »

St. Jimmy wrote:i too like this project. frankly, i like anything that bucks the norm. i like anything that says "i like my guitar like this and you can fuck off if you don't like it."
Me too, although as it's a duo-sonic with a comp stripe, tort on black, bridge position humbucker with neck single and a Jag switch plate, I wouldn't consider it to do any of those things when posted here. It could have been designed by a committee of shortscale members if I didn't know any better.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Of course it doesn't do that here... On the outside, though, on a stage perhaps, It will stand out like a middle finger stands out of a fist.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

laterallateral wrote:Of course it doesn't do that here... On the outside, though, on a stage perhaps, It will stand out like a middle finger stands out of a fist.
Best compliment ever.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

Oh wait, you have a Melvins av.

:)

Heard guy played a Stang at some point, though don't know for sure... David Scott Stone (sometimes backup guitar live) used a stock-ish CAR Jag...
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Jagermeister wrote:Oh wait, you have a Melvins av.
Buzzo is my master...
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

that thing is fucking killer!
it looks badass, and from the specs you listed i would rock it!
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

endsjustifymeans wrote:Buzzo is my master...
i knew i had a good reason for liking you

+1 to KING FUCKING BUZZO

the lord and master of all.

**note: serfx has been drinking like his name is charles fucking bukouwski tonight,
**** note: serfx's love of the melvins is only over shadowed by his love for mudhoney.
****** futher note: melvins + mudhoney 2006? + seatlle = cum in my pants good times

*** this project slays.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Looking good, the gaurd looks cramped with the jag plate, but over all I like the FRANKEN-SONIC.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

fuck yeah competition black guitars yeah
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

serfx wrote:
endsjustifymeans wrote:Buzzo is my master...
i knew i had a good reason for liking you

+1 to KING FUCKING BUZZO

the lord and master of all.

**note: serfx has been drinking like his name is charles fucking bukouwski tonight,
**** note: serfx's love of the melvins is only over shadowed by his love for mudhoney.
****** futher note: melvins + mudhoney 2006? + seatlle = cum in my pants good times

*** this project slays.
Melvins, Mudhoney, and Chuck Bukouwski in the same post... I smell BRO-mance in the air.

For the record though:
Melins>Mudhoney

but only because

Melvins>Everything
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Jagermeister wrote:...Do Jagmaster necks of any scale intonate at all when coupled to RI Duo bodies, given the fact that those are two of the wonkiest, most non-standard necks that Fender has ever produced? :shock:
both Duo RI and Jagmaster necks are essentially conversion necks from 25.5" to their respective scale. so it should really work fine.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

Props to you my friend, never seen anything like it!
“I need to take a piece of wood and make it sound like the railroad track, but I also had to make it beautiful and lovable so a person playing it would think of it in terms of his mistress, a bartender, his wife, a good psychiatrist - whatever.� Les Paul