What do you guys do to improve your playing?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

finboy

Post by finboy »

Mike wrote:Learning new songs is a great way to do it, especially if they challenge you or are in a different style to how you play normally.

Playing with other people improves your timing hugely also.
thats what i do, find what people outside your usual sphere of influence are doing, try it yourself, then try and apply it to other styles.

repeat.
Skip

Post by Skip »

you can also buy some backing tracks and jam along--- works well
I would have given up already if it wasn't for the impending revolution!
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

One of the biggest ways I've gotten better is by becoming a Jazz nerd. Buy a Real Book and a looper and you'll have no free time for 6 months. Pick out a tune, learn the changes and the melody, and then lay down one and play the other over it, and gradually work up to soloing on top as well. This can be done with almost anything, mind you, and is also the best way to write new, interesting guitar parts by writing some simple changes and laying down a rhythm part, and noodling about the top of it to add layers and harmony.

But, as Mike said, no amount of time spent with a 'nome can improve your timing like 30 minutes in a room jamming can. Join a band, get experience, and you will get better. Its the circle of life....
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Arranging is a good technique to practice as well. Pick a song, especially if it's in a style you're not used to, and try to write an arrangement that conveys the rhythm, melody, and feel of the original. It help you learn to see chords, notes, and phrases all over the neck and keeps you out of patterns.
roofiez

Post by roofiez »

What do you guys do to improve your playing?
take drugs
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Don't palm-mute chords.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
nsv

Post by nsv »

Find a good drummer.
nsv
luke

Post by luke »

nsv wrote:Find a good drummer.
Seriously, if a post is more than about a week old, don't post in it.
chrisplayer7

Post by chrisplayer7 »

Best ways to improve playing

1. Learn lots of different songs. The more you learn, the better your overall guitar knowledge gets. Learn different genres.
2. Play with a metronome. Do technique building exercises
3. Play with a band. Keeps your standards and consistancy up.
4. Learn to play another instrument. Just a bit of keyboard or piano knowledge will be good to take back to playing guitar
5. Learn basic classical music theory. Major and minor scales are REALLY worth just learning. Then apply them
I would recommend the Micro POG to anyone
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Aye, what he said.
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

It might also do good to play another instrument for fun like the drums. I did this and it gave me a better grasp on timing and feel and rhythm and what not. Also I would find that when I would play drums I would hear the music for the guitar I thought of in my head and then would later try to translate it to the guitar. Plus playing both instruments keeps both of them fresh and fun.
chrisplayer7

Post by chrisplayer7 »

I agree, I have alot of fun when i get to play drums and also believe that i can learn alot from playing drums. Wish i had money and space for a full sized kit. Been looking at the yamaha dd65 as they look like fun. Anyone have one??
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

take drugs
Yeah. It only works if you want to play Electric Wizard or Sleep though.

Best thing I did for my playing was learn as many positions of as many scales as I could remember. Helped me loads.
chrisplayer7

Post by chrisplayer7 »

Yeah scales are good. Modal scales if your into all that crazy satriani-steve vai stuff. Just learn your intervals
vincel

Post by vincel »

• Don't learn scales. Seriously, how rock & roll is Do-Re-fucking Mi? Just cop riffs instead.
  • Watch TV all night, and idly try to play along with all the incidental music. (Including the advertisements.)
chrisplayer7

Post by chrisplayer7 »

Well i agree with learning riffs and just playing by ear. Its the best way to learn. Learn as many things as you can. I see learning scales helpful in the sense that you relate them to music you like or play. Just the basics. They really help me out.

But you dont want to end up like alot of metallers just wanking out really fast up and down the fretboard.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

vincel wrote:
  • Don't learn scales. Seriously, how rock & roll is Do-Re-fucking Mi? Just cop riffs instead.
How to become a very one dimensional rock guitarist, at least.

Learning scales doesn't mean you have to use them all the time. I never write solos or parts based around music theory- but knowing certain scales means you've got a "box of tricks" you can apply to certain situations.
vincel

Post by vincel »

Doog wrote:How to become a very one dimensional rock guitarist, at least.

Learning scales doesn't mean you have to use them all the time. I never write solos or parts based around music theory- but knowing certain scales means you've got a "box of tricks" you can apply to certain situations.
I am not interested in cookie cutter solutions, for any discipline. Besides, those other dimensions make my head swim.
chrisplayer7

Post by chrisplayer7 »

How to become a very one dimensional rock guitarist, at least.

True.

Alot of guitarists that i know have no idea of even basic musical musical theory and they do seem a bit one dimensional in a sense. Even if they are technically rather good. They just dont want to know... Its really simple and REALLY worth just learning the basics. It can't hurt and can only make you better.
chisa

Post by chisa »

play different stuff, country, metal, blues, folk. it will all help.