Fender Color Chart Project: Updates

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I've been working on this a little lately. Here's a list of stuff we need.

Stock Photos
13 - Blue Sparkle (Like the super sonic, we have an image but it's low res)
17 - Silver Sparkle (Jagmaster or super sonic. Some Fenders have come in this colour but it seems unlikely to find a pic of one)
22 - Sunset Orange Transparent
33 - Violin Burst
36 - Blue Burst
48 - Teal Green Transparent (have a stock photo but its small and cuts off at the 7th fret)
51 - Sky Blue (have a stock photo but its small and cuts off at the 7th fret)
65 - Black Metallic (have a small stock photo. Squier colour).
65 - Black Holoflake (only picture i've seen is the one in this thread)
70 - Cadmium Orange (Will Ray Tele)
76 - Midnight Purple (have a small stock photo. Jeff Beck strat)
77 - Frost Red (have a stock photo but its small and cuts off at the 7th fret)
81 - Surf Pearl (have a stock photo but its small and cuts off at the 7th fret)
85 - Bright Amber Metallic (have a stock photo but its small and cuts off at the 7th fret. Urge Bass)
90 - Baltic blue (squier colour, have a slightly small but low res stock pic, could do with better)
93 - Purple Metallic (showmaster type squiers came in this)

Any Decent Face-on Photo
11 - black with red paisley
34 - Autumn Burst
35 - Ebony burst
36 - Blue Burst (see 88 below)
50 - Black Sparkle
53 - Gold Metallic
55 - Frost White
59 - Black Pearl
60 - Emerald Green Transparent
68 - Lime Green (Will ray tele)
69 - Ultra Marine Blue (Will Ray Tele)
74 - Aqua Marine Metallic
88 - Desert Sunset (I think this actually be the colour in that blue burst pic robroe posted)
95 - Starlite Blue
97 - ? (it mentions redstone in one old colour chart, but the same chart also has silver sparkle as an 8x number rather than 17. As far as I'm aware they never used 97 again so it would still be redstone and finding any image at all is probably a lost cause)

I've been looking around and did actually come across a couple that were missing. I think it would be possible to get perhaps towards half of that list with a fair bit of searching. I have two copies of frontline (2001 and 2002) that actually have stock pics of a few of those colours but I've no easy way to scan them. If you have some 90s or early 2000s frontlines and are able to scan images at decent quality it would be much appreciated if you could get a few of those.

And just so you know it's all worth while, this is what you'd be helping towards...
► Show Spoiler
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

For anyone considering having a browse for some of these images, sites like this one -

http://www.davesguitar.com/product/productsub.html

have a lot of decent pics and some will be holding old or second stock. The rarer colours pop up from time to time on that sort of site.
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Autumn Burst

Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Nothing doing? Well to tickle your enthusiasm here's a slightly out of date version. It's around 2mb and has no loading screen so if it seems to not be working be patient. There are a few colours included in the latest version so in terms of what's needed to move it on, go with the above list as a guide. Also if you come across or know of a colour that is neither in the flash file nor the list above feel free to contribute that. One that stands out that I have a good image for is antigua. I just don't have the stomach to include it yet...

Lank
Shabba.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

excellent work, james!
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

This Espirit model is proving quite fruitful for the rarer colours. Here it is in '55 - Frost White' as well as two i've never heard of before 'Candy Red Burst' and 'Candy Green Burst'. I'll have to look into this model further to get the correct codes and hopefully some better pics. Hopefully they still make it at Fender Japan and stock pics are an easy find.

and here's a strat in '77 - Frost Red'. You can see where the name comes from, although it doesn't show up too well in the stock image (it's a large image so click to show it full size).

Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

At the risk of having a conversation with myself, I found the colour code for Firestorm red last night (think it was 78 or something, i have it on my pc at home anyway), but we're lacking in pics. I have a feeling that a stock pic will be near impossible to find if one exists at all, but I'm sure they pop up as just normal pics of the guitar every now and then.

If you check on page 1 I posted about it there, it's a strat plus or ultra (think ultra) and was out in the 90s with that tele ultra that jonny greenwood has. If you come across one on ebay or can find some good pics otherwise that'd be superb. The more complete this is the better.
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Fender are taking the piss. The Strat Plus came in these colours that I've never heard of:

- Black Pearl Dust
- Blue Pearl Dust
- Caribbean Mist
- Lipstick Red
- Aqua Blue
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

581 - Morocco Red
582 - Monaco Yellow
583 - Maui Blue
584 - Capri Orange
585 - Sahara Taupe
586 - Cathay Ebony

544 - Mocha Brown
545 - Candy Apple Green
547 - Sapphire Blue
548 - Ruby Red
549 - Ivory
550 - Bronze Stratoburst
551 - Black Stratoburst
552 - Blue Stratoburst

I have decent face on pics for most of the international colours (need ebony and yellow) but that second lot I've none of.
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

In the latest of 'James fights his way to 8000 posts' (I don't mind, though, I'm finding this search for the rarer colours quite interesting), here are a few decent pics of the international colours and a tele in cadmium orange. One thing I've noticed is that with the rarer colours people will make up names to call them. Cadmium Orange becomes 'orange with gold leaf' but called so as though it's the official name.

Sahara Taupe

Capri Orange

Maui Blue

Cadmium Orange
Shabba.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I have British racing green do you need that?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

By have it do you mean you have pics of it? Or that you have a guitar i that colour? If you have pics post them up.
Shabba.
starbuckered

Post by starbuckered »

I have a Esquire Custom GT which is Silver with Black racing stripes

do you want me to post a picture?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

This I assume?

One thing I've noticed is that Fender ignore things like stripes and just use the code for the flat colour. So in this case the colour in terms of the chart would be the same as whatever they call the silver. Is it just 'silver'? it doesn't look like inca silver to me.

On the note of ignoring things, the polka dot strat I've listed as 306 is actually just _06 (listed as black w/ polka dots). I've probably mentioned it already in this thread but they have the annoying habbit of some 3 digit numbers being split up as first digit = the type of case you get with it, second two digits are the color. And then they have some three digit color codes that ignore that. So you can go to the site and see a black guitar as 806, and one as 506, but it's the same color.
Shabba.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

the buddy guy strat was available in a bunch of different polka-dot colors.

i distinctly remember the following:
black w/ white
white w/ black
red w/ white

im not sure if this make a bit of difference for this though.

here's a pic.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

James wrote:By have it do you mean you have pics of it? Or that you have a guitar i that colour? If you have pics post them up.
I'll get some pics up soon
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Mo Rocca wrote:the buddy guy strat was available in a bunch of different polka-dot colors.
Yeah I saw those colours the other day after realising it was just listed as a normal colour with added polka dots. Do you think it's worth including them as extras? I think I can find stock images for the red and white, I'll check now.
Shabba.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

also, pics for caramel metallic and copper metallic are the same.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Musician's Friend pics.

The copper metallic thing I noticed (after it was uploaded though) and it's either where I've forgot to change the image (when making a new colour I copy an old one and change the name and the image it references) or I just have the same twice for some reason. I'm glad you spotted it though as it means someone is actually clicking through the thing.
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Aqua Marine Metallic (1999-2000)
Caribbean Mist (disc. 1996)
Lipstick Red (disc. 1996)
Metallic Purple (1999-2000)

There are some production dates for some of the colours I'm lacking. If any of youse guys have frontline catalouges from those years scans would be appreciated.
Shabba.