Jagmaster.... What to do?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Jagmaster.... What to do?

Post by Thomas »

OK shortscalers I'm looking for some inspiration here. As soon as I source the Jaguar control plate I'm going to finally get back to altering my Vista Jagmaster. I know I'm putting in an upper circuit like the Jag/Jazz but I've not come up with anything pickup wise.

Any and all suggestions welcome from uber humbuckers to single coils. The only thing I know I'm not gonna use are lipstick pups.

I'm also considering making it a hard tail if I can find a bridge/plate that I like that'll also cover the trem route. If I can find one I'll probably stick one of those trem blocks in there.

This is the victim:

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Humbucker sized P90s. Best decision you could make. Especially if you buy Bareknuckle Mississippi Queens.
Haze

Post by Haze »

what about P90 sized P90s??? might as well, eh?

hardtail it, add a jag trem plate for looks [can't find that pic]
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Haze wrote:what about P90 sized P90s??? might as well, eh?

hardtail it, add a jag trem plate for looks [can't find that pic]
Yeah even better - that's what I did with my Jaguar
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Soapbars?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Noirie. wrote:Soapbars?
um...isn't that what we just said and put a pic up of?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

P-90s could be just the thing. Looks wise I think a Tele bridge plate might be cool. The flat one not the one with edges.

A couple of ideas (pre P90 talk) I like the cheapo 70s look.

► Show Spoiler
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

One of those Tele bigsbys would be cool too...
holyCATS1415

Post by holyCATS1415 »

Lamp, your jaguar is beautiful.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i would fill the trem route with one of those blocks, and put a hardtail strat bridge on it. or just block the stock trem.

if it's really a vista, i'd leave it alone. can't believe you'd want to butcher such a nice guitar. go buy a pos chinese one and mod it.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Ty

Post by Ty »

I really like those last two ideas you posted.
Also Lamp, your Jag is one cool cat. Love it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:i would fill the trem route with one of those blocks, and put a hardtail strat bridge on it. or just block the stock trem.

if it's really a vista, i'd leave it alone. can't believe you'd want to butcher such a nice guitar. go buy a pos chinese one and mod it.
That's the thing it's a good quality guitar so I'd rather mod it and get some use out of it. Due to the Jag HH this hasn't been used in ages. The reason I've kept it this long is the neck on it. I just want to get it to a place where I'll get a kick out of playing it again. Besides most of the work would just be on the surface. I'm not sure how essentiam blocking out the trem route will be. I'll have to look into that.

I'm thinking Mustang bridge/plate would do a better job of covering up the old bridge position. Extra chrome is yummy too.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

Thomas wrote:That's the thing it's a good quality guitar so I'd rather mod it and get some use out of it. Due to the Jag HH this hasn't been used in ages. The reason I've kept it this long is the neck on it. I just want to get it to a place where I'll get a kick out of playing it again. Besides most of the work would just be on the surface. I'm not sure how essentiam blocking out the trem route will be. I'll have to look into that.

I'm thinking Mustang bridge/plate would do a better job of covering up the old bridge position. Extra chrome is yummy too.
but why are you wanting to change the bridge? are you having tuning issues? problems with the look of it? i just think removing the stock trem for placement of a mustang trem, is kinda silly. the strat trem, when set up properly, should have no real issues. i have a vista jag, and i have no problems with it staying in tune because i have 5 springs on the trem. but first you wanted to put a tele bridge on it, which you know is fixed.

so, whatcha after?
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Ty

Post by Ty »

Do what Mage posted.
Haze

Post by Haze »

but keep the rythm circuit :roll:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That is tasty!!

As for the Strat style trem, I just don't like it. It stays in tune fine, it's set up etc there's not any issue with the guitar apart from the fact that I just have a hankering for a change. I could buy/make a body for it and use the neck off it but what's the point in that? It's not like I could sell the body to go towards the new one, they're not worth much. By modding what I've already got I know it's quality, it fits together perfectly and I don't need to paint it. Lots of time and money saved.

It was a cheap guitar too so I'm not overly precious about it.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Floyd Rose! That Tele bridge is gay. You may want to consider fitting jumbo frets and scalloping the fretboard as well... it worked for me.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Fran wrote:Floyd Rose! That Tele bridge is gay. You may want to consider fitting jumbo frets and scalloping the fretboard as well... it worked for me.
lol

but actually I do think a floyd rose on a jagmaster would be really cool. I really like the idea of a floyd rose on classic body shapes. but you can only get them on all these damn pointy guitars.

edit: maybe I could put one on the fernandes :?:
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

holyCATS1415 wrote:Lamp, your jaguar is beautiful.
silly_rabbit_band wrote:Also Lamp, your Jag is one cool cat. Love it.
Thanks guys - it took me ages to get it how I wanted it but now it sounds amazing.

Thomas - I do like the look of what mage suggested, though that would be quite a lot of work.