more being STOKED
Reece

Post by Reece »

this does seem like a sideways move.

i do want a SMM with hazarai though.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nothing like a tarting-up to reinvigorate interest. I'm sure it'll tempt more people in who don't have the pedalboard real estate for the original.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Noirie. wrote:
Reece wrote:
Noirie. wrote:Electro harmonix are wankers
bit strong no?
The Deluxe memory man didn't have to be updated its just bloody pointless
Actually I suggest this might be to reduce manufacturing costs as the folded steel ones might be too expensive to tool now. There is certainly a reason why EHX is moving over all their effects to that box.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Fair point euan
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
EHX

Post by EHX »

riotshield wrote:if i remember well scott from EHX mentioned somewhere that its not EXACTLY the same circuit as some parts were replaced for RoHS compliance. this is kind of sad, as the original sound will be lost
It is exactly the same circuit -- my understanding is that the process that generates the new board results in a RoHS compliant board, whereas the process that generated the classic board didn't.
luke

Post by luke »

Looks like they just wanted it to have the same look as their newer pedals. Fair enough, but like Mike said it sort of loses that iconic layout. Shame.
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

as far as i am concerned, i care mostly for the sound. if it is as good as the original then some more pedalboard real estate wouldn't hurt.
less_cunning

Post by less_cunning »

edited.
Last edited by less_cunning on Wed May 06, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EHX

Post by EHX »

less_cunning wrote:i agree w/ that. all their newer pedals look the same, esp. knob-wise.
I don't quite get this -- wouldn't you say the same for the 'trapezoid' pedals too -- ie, don't those all look the same knob-wise too? Or, for that matter, just about any group of pedals that all use the same enclosure?
less_cunning

Post by less_cunning »

edited.
Last edited by less_cunning on Wed May 06, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

It's just modern manufacturing costs. It's obviously cheaper for them to use parts as similar as possible so they can use the same machines/ assembly lines for all of the pedals.
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

EHX wrote:
less_cunning wrote:i agree w/ that. all their newer pedals look the same, esp. knob-wise.
I don't quite get this -- wouldn't you say the same for the 'trapezoid' pedals too -- ie, don't those all look the same knob-wise too? Or, for that matter, just about any group of pedals that all use the same enclosure?
but hey, this is true. before some years most of the more complex pedals where in the trapezoid casing with the same knob positioning.
luke

Post by luke »

I just think having a bit more individuality than just the decal is important. Take these two recent pedals for example:

ImageImage

Spot the difference?

Don't get me wrong, I think they all look great and it wouldn't put me off buying them, but the DMM is known for having knobs around the edge and the button on the side, and I'm sure without harming manufacturing costs too much, these newer pedals could all have unique identities of their own. The Voice Box and SMM could easily be slightly different, it's not like they're cheap pedals anyway.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Malik wrote:the DMM is known for having knobs around the edge and the button on the side, and I'm sure without harming manufacturing costs too much, these newer pedals could all have unique identities of their own.
totally agree with this
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

riotshield

Post by riotshield »

kinda similar arent they?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

hahah.. Science!

I don't think this is a heinous or bad move at all. Personally I prefer the big box aesthetic and I have one.
People have been asking for a small DMM on the forums for years now and EHX are responding and keeping the circuit intact, that is to be praised - if only all pedal, guitar and amp companies were so in tune with their target market's hopes and wishes.

A perfect example would be Boss not reissuing some incredibly discontinued popular pedals they could make a killing on. I think it's a great move - they're still one of my favourite companies.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Personally, I think I would rather have all my pedals look the same than have to pay extra money and space just to have them look different or have their own unique identities.

I really don't care what they look like.
EHX

Post by EHX »

Mike wrote:hahah.. Science!

I don't think this is a heinous or bad move at all. Personally I prefer the big box aesthetic and I have one.
People have been asking for a small DMM on the forums for years now and EHX are responding and keeping the circuit intact, that is to be praised - if only all pedal, guitar and amp companies were so in tune with their target market's hopes and wishes.

A perfect example would be Boss not reissuing some incredibly discontinued popular pedals they could make a killing on. I think it's a great move - they're still one of my favourite companies.
Thanks Mike!

I should note the original plan was to finish out the supply of classic DMMs, declare them 'doscontinued', and then switch over to the new DMM.

Personally, I didn't much like that plan, and thanks to feedback from forums, etc., we tweaked out a better (imho) plan: as of now, you have a choice of new or classic DMM (though we still only expect the classic to remain available for a little while, so it's a good time to get one). But then, rather than declare it 'discontinued', it will be considered 'unavailable' -- that might sound like splitting hairs, but I think it's a meaningful difference.