Mike's Pedal Thread

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Much appreciated.
Haze

Post by Haze »

the classic distortion got shipped out today, $11.95 shipping my arse
still thinking about echo lite...
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Thanks Matt, looking forward to it's arrival. I need more patch leads.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've been away for a few days and just spotted this so:
Reece wrote: grey bar at the bottom. what's it there for?
It's actually the background that everything sits on. It actually borders the whole image (smaller at the top and sides) The reason it's grey is colour balancing. Trying to get the preferred colours without searuing eyeballs was difficult, especially at higher resoloutions. Adding the dark edge bleeds some of that out. (It could be smaller at the bottom though.
Reece wrote: assuming the pedals page is going to grow, maybe more of a kinda e-bay style deal where theres are thumbnails to one side and then you click and get the full size image and the description on the same page. if it comes to it i could see if could knock up some javascript to do this.
As Mike said this is just a start. Eventually the page with the pedal list will be static and when you click on an image it will run lightbox so the background will fade to black with the image and the full description will appear onscreen. Obv this will require the videos to be on their own page. That means less clicking and a simpler site.
Reece wrote: i like the actual design though, in this day and age of flashy websites with fuck all content (one of which i ran, when you think "what shall i make my website about" after designing it you know you're doing it wrong) i much prefer simpler websites such as this one.
Simpler is better, and at the end of the day I don't have the skills to make a crazy flash site or anything :lol: We're just trying as we go, neither of us are web designers so the site as it is at the moment is basically just a bookmark. We're trying to get the site to a point where we can just pop in the new images and we're ready to go. Rather than pm each other to death it's easier to make changes realtime and let Mike see what it looks like. The site that you see was up just a few days after the idea got the go-ahead. We have plans-a-plenty all we need are a few more hours in the day :D

The main reason I'm involved is that I like what Mike's doing and think more people should be snagging the MBM goodness, so in the tradition of shortscale I manned up and offered my (limited) knowhow. Like Mike said any and all suggestions are welcome so feeel free to drop me a pm etc if any of you have ideas.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike I want another fuzz from you. I have no idea of a specific pedal or anything. I just want something weird sounding. a real fuzzy fuzz, really gross/harsh/big sounding, something for single note stuff, as in if you tried to play chords it would sound horrible, not really thinking octave fuzz or anything though. really adjustable too if possible. I also just had a thought, your trem design, could that be put into it too and be switchable? maybe only with a toggle. faster the trem the better.

I am just talking here and I want some back and forth to decide what I actually want. I basically just want a new fuzz and don't want anything like I already have.

cheers.
:P
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

i am on a train and i am drunk but i am thinking about it
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

benecol's forthcoming os mutantes fuzz might fit that bill, no? it's certainly next on my list once i get some money.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

stewart wrote:benecol's forthcoming os mutantes fuzz might fit that bill, no? it's certainly next on my list once i get some money.
what is this? sounds intriguing.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

this thing that benecol posted in the diary thread. i want one.
benecol wrote:Attn Stewart and Mike:

Nicked from elsewhere, but this is a schematic of the Os Mutantes fuzz...

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:i am on a train and i am drunk but i am thinking about it
kool matey :P
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

That one there they linked popped into my head. It's properly nutso. Really fucking loud and insane.

There's also another design benecol sent me ages ago which is called the Ultra Lord that I think I'll play around with on breadboard.

As regards the trem, I'm going to be putting a cutdown one in Robert original's shortscale pedal so I will just build another one for you also. It'll be hardwired to squarewave maximum depth and just have a rate knob. does that sond kool?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:That one there they linked popped into my head. It's properly nutso. Really fucking loud and insane.

There's also another design benecol sent me ages ago which is called the Ultra Lord that I think I'll play around with on breadboard.

As regards the trem, I'm going to be putting a cutdown one in Robert original's shortscale pedal so I will just build another one for you also. It'll be hardwired to squarewave maximum depth and just have a rate knob. does that sond kool?
Sounds well cool! maximum speed on the rate knob if possible?

How does fitting the two fuzzes in one box and a mix knob in the middle so you can mix the two together sound? or is that just not electrically possible?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Big Baby Jesus wrote:
Mike wrote:That one there they linked popped into my head. It's properly nutso. Really fucking loud and insane.

Sounds well cool! maximum speed on the rate knob if possible?

How does fitting the two fuzzes in one box and a mix knob in the middle so you can mix the two together sound? or is that just not electrically possible?
Yeah I'll make it so the rate knob can get you into mental ring-mod territory.

It's definitely possible to have two fuzzes and a blend between them, I think they wouldn't be independently footswitchable though, because what would happen if you switched Fuzz A on and the blend was all the way at B? Presumably nothing...
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

stewart wrote:this thing that benecol posted in the diary thread. i want one.
benecol wrote:Attn Stewart and Mike:

Nicked from elsewhere, but this is a schematic of the Os Mutantes fuzz...

The ole' boost-n-clip. Is that a 'tone' switch at the front? Looks a nice simple build, gonna have to try this one inabit.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Switch open the guitar hits that 4.7nF cap before it goes into the 10uF so you're going to drop a lot of bass, it's a thin/fat switch.

Build it and start with the volume on 1. It is fucking nutso, almost took my head clean off. Also picks up AM radio.
dub

Post by dub »

Mike, could you make a Meathead?

Apparently its just a si fuzz face with unusual components? :?

I'm looking for a chunky rhythm fuzz of doom I can run into a slightly dirty british amp and it seems to fit the bill.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Indeed I could. I have the schematic now, thanks for the link.

Would probably be a £50 + shipping dealio?
dub

Post by dub »

Call it a done deal.

Metallic Silver, Blue LED, + the largest knob you can lay your hands on.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Alright, I'll add you to my order list. I should let you know I am busy this week until Monday so I won't be able to start on your pedal until then. I will drill the case that night though. I anticipate it will be done 2-3 weeks from now?

Do you need battery power (£5 extra including battery) or are you fine with DC jack only (boss style)?

dub - Meathead Fuzz
- £50 + shipping
- Silver
- Blue LED
- Bronco Knob

Benecol - OsFuzz/GreenRinger
- as payment for drilling guides/decals
- Decal with weird bloke
- 3PDT toggle to switch order
dub

Post by dub »

That's fine, man. Just keep me updated via this thread or PM etc.

I usually prefer to run fuzzes off batteries. So I'll go with battery power in addition to the jack, cheers.