Do you gig brand new speakers (formerly d'you break in speak

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

aen
Turdscreamer

Do you gig brand new speakers (formerly d'you break in speak

Post by aen »

Cause I just ordered some Eminence SWamp thangs to finally set my twin up properly. HAve you done it? do you have to? how do you do it? Will I break my shit if I do not do it?
Last edited by aen on Thu May 14, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

You don't have to. They tend to sound a little tight and thin at first, but given how much volume, noise, and bass you use they should break in pretty quickly. I think my 12" was pretty well loosened after a couple band practices.

All breaking them in does is loosen the cloth/paper up so the cone vibrates more freely.
dub

Post by dub »

I can't find it now, but there's a youtube video of a european guy breaking in his speakers by hooking them up to a 9v AC wall adaptor... then just leaving them humming for a few hours wrapped in a duvet. Made a lot more sense to me than blasting music through them all day like some people do.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

WTF is duvet
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Duvet
pronounced: DuVay
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

OH

A COMFORTER.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

dub wrote:I can't find it now, but there's a youtube video of a european guy breaking in his speakers by hooking them up to a 9v AC wall adaptor... then just leaving them humming for a few hours wrapped in a duvet. Made a lot more sense to me than blasting music through them all day like some people do.
SERIOUSLY, 2 OR 3 REHEARSALS AND MY WEBER 12" WAS FINE.

There's no need to rush it. Although, if you absolutely HAVE TO, I've heard a drum machine can do wonders.
nondas

Post by nondas »

The only advice I've been given is to play them at moderate volume for the first 12 hours after install. My Eminence Lady Lucks were a little brittle in the beginning but mellowed out after about a week of practice.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

dub wrote:I can't find it now, but there's a youtube video of a european guy breaking in his speakers by hooking them up to a 9v AC wall adaptor... then just leaving them humming for a few hours wrapped in a duvet.
Yeah, but he stole that from the time MacGyver broke in Poison's speakers last minute before a gig to avoid tonal disaster in a story he dreamt up while he was drinking alone.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

paul_ wrote:
dub wrote:I can't find it now, but there's a youtube video of a european guy breaking in his speakers by hooking them up to a 9v AC wall adaptor... then just leaving them humming for a few hours wrapped in a duvet.
Yeah, but he stole that from the time MacGyver broke in Poison's speakers last minute before a gig to avoid tonal disaster in a story he dreamt up while he was drinking alone.
This is fucking Gold.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

paul_ wrote:
HAHA
chisa

Post by chisa »

turn the amp up, turn the bass up and everything else down and play for a few mins. try to "pop" your strings for the percussive thud you get.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

And then slap yourself in the face for being so silly.

Just play the thing.
Chicago Mike

Post by Chicago Mike »

It took about a month for my set of webers to break in on my twin (bout eight 2hr jams at good volume). They actually got better each practice....the tightness and highs rounded out real nice.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Mike wrote:Just play the thing.
This is the correct answer.

You just have to play them until they are broken in. End of.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Mike wrote: Just play the thing.
This plan suits me.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

If your gonna break them in without playing or whatever, make sure they're facing up and not against teh floor or whatever, you don't want to trap air in thar and fuck shit aout.up.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

ZOMG! so the new speakorz arrive on friday, should i gig them on saturday?!?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Do you hate the sound of your amp now?

If Yes, Yes, if No, No.
Chicago Mike

Post by Chicago Mike »

I hate making gear changes unless it's like strings before shows. I doubt it would be a big deal if you did though....just thinking when I put mine in it sounded good and only got better as I played it. (Suppose that's a pretty non-commital comment.)