POLL: Which Firewire(or USB) Interface Should I Buy?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Which of these six interfaces should I get?

OPTION 1: PreSonus Inspire
No votes
OPTION 2: PreSonus Firebox 24
50%
OPTION 3: CME Matrix K
No votes
OPTION 4: Tapco.Link
No votes
OPTION 5: Tascam FireONE
25%
OPTION 6: PreSonus AudioBox USB
25%

Total votes: 4
JamesSmann

POLL: Which Firewire(or USB) Interface Should I Buy?

Post by JamesSmann »

I sold my USB 2.0 interface that had XLR inputs, which is fine because the interface I kept (the Line6 ToneDirect for some reason gives me better mixes...but it's processing capacity is less than the Lexicon was...so I'm thinking it may just be time for me to get a Firewire interface and to completely max my workstations RAM. The RAM I can handle, but I want to know what you guys would go for with a Firewire Interface. I have two options currently, as I don't really need anything super-hardcore.

OPTION 1: PreSonus Inspire

OPTION 2: PreSonus Firebox 24

OPTION 3: CME Matrix K

OPTION 4: Tapco.Link

OPTION 5: Tascam FireONE

or, I could go back to USB 2.0 with this:

OPTION 6: PreSonus AudioBox USB
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

you fuck sticks. i needs HALP.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

firewire > usb

when it comes to sustained throughput. my only experience is with presonus hardware, and it rocks.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I don't know much about todays interfaces, as I use a Protools DIGI001, and it gets the job done.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

definitely leaning towards firewire fo'sho...need maor inpoot.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i can do a seconded on the presonuseses.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Sloan wrote:i can do a seconded on the presonuseses.
sloan approov=jimbo bi.
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

FIREPOD ALL THE WAAAAAAYYYYY

these things are amazing, and affordable.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i got the firestudio project deal from some place on ebay that hooks a ng up with a free FADERPORT and like XLR CABLES. great deal.
NBarnes21

Post by NBarnes21 »

the isaac eaton wrote:FIREPOD ALL THE WAAAAAAYYYYY

these things are amazing, and affordable.
I agree with this
jamc_89

Post by jamc_89 »

I've used firebox, had a little bit of software issues to work out. was all pretty new for me though.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

used to have a firepod - it was awesome: never crashed once. had to downsize though and sold it, to be replaced by an echo audiofire 4... quite why i didn't got for the firebox i don't know, since it's currently back at the support centre after the main-board decided to fry itself..

borrowing my housemate's m-audio fasttrack pro, which despite being usb isn't half bad.
my signature goes here
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Since the advent of USB2.0 Audio Interfaces perform great with either.

My Edirol UA-1000 can do 10in/10out at 24-bit, 96kHz over USB with HW or SW monitoring.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

So... What's the consensus here? I'll be in the market for recording hardware in the next few months, and I'm caught between the Presonus Firebox, and and a Digidesign M-box. As far as I can I can tell, the M-box isn't firewire compatible. My macbook has firewire, so I was thinking I may as well take advantage of that.

I have experience with Pro Tools, so that is sort of swaying me towards the M-box. How big a deal is firewire? And are there any other advantages to the Firebox.

I can't see the results for this poll because I haven't voted yet.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Mike has a point regarding USB2.0 - the newer interfaces are just as good as the FireWire ones.. I went with Firewire though since by the time I've plugged in Controller, Dongle and hard disk, I didn't want to risk adding a high-bandwidth USB device on top.. call me paranoid if you want but ho-hum..

If you're on a mac, Firewire seems to be the best option anyway. Feel free to argue..

I sold my Firepod around 16 months ago since I'd moved house and couldn't fit a 19" rack anywhere (sigh), so ended up narrowing the choice down to the FireBox and the AudioFire 4. Went with the audiofire for no particular reason since both boxes seem to do the same..

SoS:
audiofire
firebox
my signature goes here
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

benwalker wrote: SoS:
audiofire
firebox
This is exactly what I needed to read, cheers!

I reckon I'll probably go with the Firebox. From the reviews it seems like it might be a slightly better piece of kit, but I suspect that might be because the Firebox review was written with plainer language than the Echo review.

Our singer keeps on about us all throwing a hundred quid each together and booking recording sessions. I think this makes a lot more sense.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

yeah, i think the firebox is gonna be the way i roll too...just gotta find the fundage now.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

so i actually went with the tapco firewire device. 6x4, firewire, hundred bucks, monitor outs, hundred bucks, lol...

i'll give a full report when it shows up next week.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Does anyone have any experience with firewire audio interfaces on newer Macs?

It seems that Apple have changed the Firewire chipset from a Texas Instruments chipset to an Agere one. Mine has a Lucent one, apparently Lucent are a subsidiary of Agere, and this is basically an Agere one.

As far as I can work out, There's little or no chance of a Firewire audio interface working at all with these chipsets. There's a couple of forums that mention workarounds, and some people post that they are only having issues when trying to use Windows in Bootcamp, but that with OSX it works fine.

I was wondering if anyone else can add anything here?