The Frontier Psychiatrists (NEW LIVE VIDEOS ADDED)

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

The Frontier Psychiatrists (NEW LIVE VIDEOS ADDED)

Post by Freddy V-C »

I just uploaded some acoustic tracks from a session on a local radio station back in March (bottom three songs on the MySpace), so I thought now would be a good time to introduce ShortScale.org to my band, The Frontier Psychiatrists. Yes, we're named after the song by The Avalanches.

Within the next couple of weeks we should have some more full band recordings as well, so I'll post here when those get done.
Last edited by Freddy V-C on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i like the songs, good lyrics! makes a change from the usual drivel.

popped in a friend request too, i'm in a crazy mood tonight.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Cheers, I do my best. And yeah, I saw. Your songs are awesome, recording quality is great as well.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

ta! %ghey%
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ARGH, why the fuck can't I play music on Myspace pages now? Will attempt to sort this POS-PC out and have a leesten!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Sorted the PC out- the tracks are great, dude! Really dig your voice too.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Thanks! That means a lot, my voice has always been kind of a dividing line, some people really hate it :\

I'll upload some mp3s to MediaFire at some point for other people who can't get on with MySpace...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Fuck the haters- anything that polarises opinion is a good thing.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Some photos from our last two gigs were uploaded today, videos to come soon as well.
โ–บ Show Spoiler
We also recorded 3 new songs in January (super-sexy high quality versions of which are available here). Have a listen!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Cool video from the aforementioned gig:

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't remember us sounding that out of tune on the day... I'm guessing it was because of how cold it was outside? Or at least I'll keep telling myself that.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Michael Winner is a frickin brilliant song.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

Freddy V-C wrote:
I don't remember us sounding that out of tune on the day... I'm guessing it was because of how cold it was outside? Or at least I'll keep telling myself that.
it probably has more to do with the camera
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Some live videos my friend Mike filmed at our gig on Friday:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

He filmed the whole set apart from one song. I'll upload the rest if people like these.

You may notice some changes in personnel since the video of Space Lemur I posted above. Our bassist quit in August and we got a new one. The other guitarist was ill for this gig.

EDIT: Also I never noticed the posts from Gavin and Gaybear ages ago, so thanks for those!
lorez

Post by lorez »

not wanting to sound a twat but on those performances I can't see why you would need a 2nd guitarist. tunes sound great and your stage craft is growing with your performances.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Freddy V-C wrote:Some live videos my friend Mike filmed at our gig on Friday:

[youtube][/youtube]
Brilliant Freddy! Ten years ago i'd have been pogoing down the front. The Baja sounds fucking ace as does your voice and the whole band.

If you would consider a little advice i'd say think bigger. Get to some better venues soon mate, its okay to cut your teeth at them places and they will toughen you up but dont hang around too long. The apathy will soon sweep over you. You also seem coy on introductions, its sweet but be more assertive and confident ;)

Have you got a live vid of the 'the one way system..' plz?
George

Post by George »

Fran wrote: You also seem coy on introductions, its sweet but be more assertive and confident ;)
I quite liked "This is a song about a film". Sounded sort of cool and unhinged. Fran's bang on thinking bigger though. You're performing better than a lot of my mate's bands who are headling gigs and stuff.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

GeorgeF wrote:
Fran wrote: You also seem coy on introductions, its sweet but be more assertive and confident ;)
I quite liked "This is a song about a film". Sounded sort of cool and unhinged.
Some parts of the intro's were good, parts had pauses and information shyly delivered that probably went over the audiences heads (judging by the crowd?). I'm not criticizing in a negative way, i love Freddy's band, but acclimatizing to different audiences is an art and learning this sooner than later will help them.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Thanks a lot for all the comments! I kind of agree about it sounding good with only one guitar, I just like how it can be made even more dischordant with two guitarists. Also, Tom's the only other member who's been in the band since the beginning when we were 13; it's weird not having Sinead in the band (she was in it from almost the beginning), but it would be even weirder not to have Tom. He also cowrote some of the songs (Equine Speech, Gay For Stephen Malkmus and Space-Lemur).

I'd really like to play some bigger venues, the trouble is that we struggle to bring many people even to these smaller gigs. Most people who go to local gigs in Halifax don't seem to 'get' us, and those who do are mostly skint and can't afford to come to most of the gigs. I think we're getting put on at the Puzzle Hall in Sowerby Bridge soon which is a fairly prestigious venue around these parts, so hopefully that'll lead to bigger things. There's also a chance of us supporting Half Man Half Biscuit in Wakefield next year :D as our drummer's dad knows their manager, and the promoter who organised the gig at The Doghouse said he'd put us on supporting I Am Kloot in Halifax if one of the bands they've already got drops out.

Fran: There is a video of One-Way... I'll upload it just for you!
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Freddy V-C wrote:I'd really like to play some bigger venues, the trouble is that we struggle to bring many people even to these smaller gigs.
Dont worry about taking crowds mate. Have you got transport?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Fran wrote:
Freddy V-C wrote:I'd really like to play some bigger venues, the trouble is that we struggle to bring many people even to these smaller gigs.
Dont worry about taking crowds mate. Have you got transport?
We're very dependent on our parents but we have taken all our own gear to gigs before. So yeah, if enough parents are available we have transport. I should hopefully have passed my driving test by the end of January but unfortunately the car I'll be driving has the smallest boot in existence.