My 60's Fender Shortscales...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Dice

Post by Dice »

filtercap wrote:Finally I can see the pix! Great minds, blah blah -- my 60's MM looks virtually the same, only the 24" version and just slightly less dinged-up, while my 70's color-formerly-known-as-white MM sports red tortoiseshell too. It's a great look. Nice guitars all around, congrats.
Feel free to spam your MM!

That 22.5" scale on mine is SHORT. I really like the guitar - I sit back in my lazy boy and play it for hours. I did NEEDED a 24" student model though, hence the Mustang - I love the MM Tone, but wanted something with better upper fret playability.

So far, I'm just using the neck pickup on that Mustang. Great tone. Old student guitars are an unlikely place to find it, too!
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

ever played a vintage duo-sonic? might be right up your alley if you prefer hard tails to trems (i certainly do).
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Dice

Post by Dice »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:ever played a vintage duo-sonic? might be right up your alley if you prefer hard tails to trems (i certainly do).
The first guitar I ever played was a '58 or '59 Duo - 22.5" scale of course. I've yet to have my hands on 24" Duo (I suppose I could make one out of my MM and Mustang!). I kind of did a shot in the dark w/ the Mustang - I just figured I'd like it. I really do. I prefer the Mustang bridge, but I think that the trem might be a tuning nightmare. I haven't had any real problems yet, as long as I make sure that I get the trem rocked forward before I tune.

My next guitar will probably be a Duo II or a MusicMaster II w/ the 24" scale. The MM might be what I need - since I'm not a huge fan of the bridge pickup, and since those switches cramp my style a little bit!
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

you mean switching is harder? it definitely takes getting used to. 24" mm are cool, but a hard tail mustang always gives me bonarz.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Dice

Post by Dice »

My palm hits those switches - and I knocked my neck switch just enough to put it in the "off" position at band practice today. I was like "errr.... I've got no sound!" Took me a second to figure out.

I think that a MusicMaster will be right up my alley - w/ the 24" scale. I love the Mustang regardless, though. It is going to my luthier for a full makeover. I'll probably put some repro tuners on there (stock ones are somewhat sloppy - still work fine, but would rather have precision since this will be a gigging guitar). I'm also going to have some fret leveling done - and am considering just doing a total refret w/ some big ol' frets. We'll see what my luthier thinks will be best. He's amazing.
Dice

Post by Dice »

silly_rabbit_band wrote:
Dice wrote:
silly_rabbit_band wrote:No offense, and I know this has been stated, but man, you make any guitar look like a toy, I'm sure your stang and musicmaster look tiny on you!
Please don't crush me.
I really never heard any of those comments other than in photos!

Its all good - I'm really not as big as I appear.
You said 6'1"? only 4" taller than I, and I've never met you. So, I'll take your word for it!
Yeah, I'm fat and slow, though!

The little MusicMaster does look pretty small on me, by the way!

Oh well. Cool guitars - even if I look like a big dork!
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Sweet collection! Where abouts are you located?
Dice

Post by Dice »

More Cowbell wrote:Sweet collection! Where abouts are you located?
Missoula, Montana, USA.

Thanks!
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I'm like 5'8" and a Jaguar looks huge on me.
The more weight I loose the bigger the guitar gets on me.
Btw he wants you to put that where your location under posts and joined date is. like how it says I'm from AndyWarholVille,PA
Dice

Post by Dice »

My actual location, or something clever? :D Just kidding.

Will do.

Jags are pretty big - and mine is a heavy beast (weighs as much as my Les Pauls!).
Dice

Post by Dice »

For anyone still checking this thread, here is a very very low quality live video clip of the Jag. Again, the quality is absolutely terrible - and there is nothing exciting going on in this clip at all. Just a little off beat ska thing and some overdriven chords at the chorus - at a boring low key Tuesday night gig.

***WARNING: Crappy semi-punk-rock somewhat offensive content!!!***

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=58495268

My band is revamping most of our material at the moment - moving away from the slower paced rock/metal/numetal stuff and back to our "punk rock roots." Because this is the crowd response that we like to have:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=54297939

Once we get that new stuff finished up, I'll spam the band in the whorehouse.
Last edited by Dice on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Yeah, some are heavy, mine's pretty light though...
Nice guitars btw, great selection.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

paul_ is small_
jag is not

Non-chambered Les Pauls are not that heavy. The ash tele custom I made (standard tele body routed for LP control scheme and WRHB in neck) is wayyy heavier.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Dice

Post by Dice »

Thanks Josh!

Paul - I won't own a chambered Les Paul to save my life!! Mine are all solid body (no weight relief, no chambering!). I've got a '69 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, 2008 Custom Shop '58 Reissue, and a Japanese made (Fujigen) Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom. Mine are all pretty light. The '69 is in the 8's, the MIJ is 9, and the R8 is 9.5 (lbs). I did sell another MIJ that was 10lbs. Some Lesters are up there around 13 - even with weight relief holes! That is HEAVY! How much does your Tele weigh?
Dice

Post by Dice »

A little update here... A few pictures, and a couple of live videos:

An original (titled "Beaten"), and an impromptu cover / jam / semi-tribute w/ some solo action - both on the '65 Mustang:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=60296975

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=60399413

A few recent gig pix - also, I picked up a basketcase '66 Duo-Sonic since I made this thread, and the neck is now on my MusicMaster (which is heavy in the gig rotation now!):

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

the first pic you posted of the mustang is amazing.

also, i have realized that i need a musicmaster, more specifically, the musicmaster you have.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
SickenedEmotions99

Post by SickenedEmotions99 »

the isaac eaton wrote:
Dice wrote:
FitzG wrote:Christ
you make that jag look like a toy!
awesome collection though
Thanks much. A lot of people have said that the Jag looks small on me... I'm 6'1 or 6'2 (depending on the day, it seems) - not that big, really!

Here is another shot w/ it:

I have the same problem, Im 6'1 and I used to play a les paul jr, loved the sound and the feel, but it was so small on me, it looked like i was playing a toy.
Same here. I used to play 2 different Mustangs... I'm 6'2 and 310 or so. :shock: I'm a big mother fucker. hahaha