NOFX

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

B-Side Alex

NOFX

Post by B-Side Alex »

Hey just thought I share this with ya....

I went to see NOFX the other month...

Which by the way was one of the best gigs I've been to (apart from the lame emo band supporting them...jesus they were bad) ...and I've never seen a crowd go so mental...also yet another thing of note, couldn't get over how many real punks (no scenesters) are out there in the 15-20 age range...and skinheads as well of the same age...looked like they'd just got off the set of This Is England 2 - Ben shermans, turn-ups, braces and docs...

Anywayyyyyyyy.......halfway through the gig El Hefe comes back onto the stage brandishing a vintage Jag and bust into "The Seperation of Church and Skate" and boy did it sound great...

Then the other week I read that NOFX used Jagstangs for the whole of Coaster (new album)....can't remember where I read this though....think it may have even been on an on-line music shops' site...if anyone knows where I read this, let me know.
Dice

Post by Dice »

I saw them last year - Hefe was playing a white Tele most of the show. Great concert - my band and I sat up in the balcony, as late 20's qualifies us as "old guys" when compared to those crazy bastards in the pit!!

(From my phone:)

endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

I saw them touring to support Punk in Drublic. Good live show, Fat Mike kept tormenting the crowd by pretending to start the show then walking off stage. He did it like 10 times.

I don't usually go for pop punk, but they're more or less a legacy act at this point.

Saw SubHumAns at the exact same place the next night, they tore the fricken roof off the place. It was a decent weekend of music all told.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

one of my favorite bands ever. own all thier shit. half of it on cassette of course :)

hefe has always played tele's as far as i know. its good to know he is branching out a little after 20 years

ill have to research the jagstang comment
Dice

Post by Dice »

Fat Mike is pretty skinny now... :shock:
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

new cd COASTER is awesome btw. its better than thier last two albums.

also cool note...the LP version of coaster is called FRISBEE

this goes way back to when they had a tape called Heavy Petting Zoo and the LP was called "eating lamb"
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Dice wrote:Fat Mike is pretty skinny now... :shock:
Lol, he was large and in charge when I saw them. Granted that was... what... 94ish?
Dice

Post by Dice »

endsjustifymeans wrote:
Dice wrote:Fat Mike is pretty skinny now... :shock:
Lol, he was large and in charge when I saw them. Granted that was... what... 94ish?
My picture sucks, and is about a year old, but he's in the middle w/ the red shirt!
B-Side Alex

Post by B-Side Alex »

endsjustifymeans wrote:I saw them touring to support Punk in Drublic. Good live show, Fat Mike kept tormenting the crowd by pretending to start the show then walking off stage. He did it like 10 times.

I don't usually go for pop punk, but they're more or less a legacy act at this point.

Saw SubHumAns at the exact same place the next night, they tore the fricken roof off the place. It was a decent weekend of music all told.
Pop-Punk??

I understand where you're come from kinda....but compared to blink, sum 41, green day, offspring (since americana) etc etc I'd say they don't fit with any of what I'd call pop punk....there's a whole shitload of others I've not mention becuase I don't go in for that stufff...hence mentioning the most known lol...

As far as punk goes I mainly listen to The Clash, Adolescents, Bad religion, Ramones, Pistols, Iggy and the Stooges, The Damned etc and I'd say NOFX are more like these bands than the pop-punk stuff....I really don't find them anywhere near as sanitised or mundane....
B-Side Alex

Post by B-Side Alex »

robroe wrote:one of my favorite bands ever. own all thier shit. half of it on cassette of course :)

hefe has always played tele's as far as i know. its good to know he is branching out a little after 20 years

ill have to research the jagstang comment
Yeah he's always played the tele from what I know too....

He just got the Jag out for the one song....it really did make the guitar sound much bigger than on any of the other songs and it was really noticible - and no it wasn't just louder before anyone chimes in with that one ;)

I definitely read that about the stangs and coaster...if I find it...I'll put up the link...but so far I've not been able to find it again...
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Pop punk is pretty much the upbeat catchy punk that grew out of the northern california punk scene.
Bands like Face to face, NOFX, and pretty much everyone on Epitaph's original line up.

I'm not saying NOFX aren't a punk band, but they are about as pop punk as pop punk gets.

I always enjoyed the more punk-punk, think in the vein of Discharge, Oi Polloi, Crass, The mid `90's crust scene. I like my music more inaccessible... ;)
Skip

Post by Skip »

i really like nofx
i'm getting older and the "real" punk, punk-- doesn't agree with me too well anymore
these guys fit with me just fine
and i do think it's a little silly that-- if you make it big-- you are less punk just because of that
I would have given up already if it wasn't for the impending revolution!
lancer88

Post by lancer88 »

would love to see a pic of the jag if you could find one :P gah itd be really weird to see anything other than tele-paul-dano on stage, but i guess things need to change sometimes. even if its just for one song
"Jesus Murphy!"
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Skip wrote:i really like nofx
i'm getting older and the "real" punk, punk-- doesn't agree with me too well anymore
these guys fit with me just fine
and i do think it's a little silly that-- if you make it big-- you are less punk just because of that
I don't think anyone can call NOFX less punk than when they started. They've not altered their sound at all since the beginning, success or no they have the same schtick. Pop punk is indicative of a style of music, not the ethics of the band.
STABxYOU

Post by STABxYOU »

B-Side Alex wrote:Pop-Punk??

I understand where you're come from kinda....but compared to blink, sum 41, green day, offspring (since americana) etc etc I'd say they don't fit with any of what I'd call pop punk....there's a whole shitload of others I've not mention becuase I don't go in for that stufff...hence mentioning the most known lol...

As far as punk goes I mainly listen to The Clash, Adolescents, Bad religion, Ramones, Pistols, Iggy and the Stooges, The Damned etc and I'd say NOFX are more like these bands than the pop-punk stuff....I really don't find them anywhere near as sanitised or mundane....
I'd say NOFX are the definition of pop punk. The other bands are more pop rock/alternative. Sum 41 are more like melodic thrash/melodic hardcore mixed with pop punk. Although, I won't deny Sum 41 is a guilty pleasure.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

melodic thrash ?
George

Post by George »

Sum 41?
STABxYOU

Post by STABxYOU »

robroe wrote:melodic thrash ?
GeorgeF wrote:Sum 41?
Melodic thrash, the subgenre of punk. Be sure not to confuse thrash with thrash metal.

Although, they're pretty obviously influenced by NWOBHM and thrash metal too. It's polished, poppy, easily accessible stuff, but that doesn't mean it doesn't show elements of more aggressive genres.
Dice

Post by Dice »

I'm glad we have people who are keeping up on the thousands of proper labels for types of music.

I couldn't give a shit less myself!

NOFX is a staple punk band - regardless of what prefix people feel need to be put before "punk."
Novacaine

Post by Novacaine »

reviving a dead thread, but I was sum 41 fan on half hour of power. After that they lost me. They are just pop-punk with some 80's metal thrown in. It was a little different from the same old pop-punk at the time. I think they've become more and more emo after the first record though.

NOFX is damn awesome. I got Punk in Drublic on tape some where.