money

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

money

Post by Mo Law-ka »

i was just watching some stuff with george gruhn on youtube, and he was spouting a bunch of stuff about how expensive instruments are best.

here's my question:
what is your spending limit on a single guitar/bass?

as of right now, the most ive spent is $800, and that got me a great guitar with a case that has lasted me 7 years and will last me much longer.

and i know that this is on a case-by-case basis, but i'd say that i wont spend more than $2000 on a single guitar, ever. sure, i love guitars, but $2000 can buy a lot of food/gas/whatever else.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Most I ever spent was $1000 on my Rickenbacker 330. Before that it was my Les Paul Studio for $800. Both of these guitars were brand new and came with a hardshell case, and were had for far under their normal price, and before that, the most I had spent was $400.

I like to think $1000 is my limit for an electric, although I think this is because I have so many guitars as it is. If I was in the market for an acoustic or bass, my limit might be a tad higher since I'm only likely to want to own one and that's it.

I must also stop spending money on guitars right now for a year at least.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I was offered a TB500 for $3000 a few years back, which is nothing compared to what they cost now. But at the time I don't think I was happy to play a guitar that valuable at some of the venues I played at the time, and probably will again.

Most I've ever paid for a guitar is £1000ish for the Electrical Guitar Co Custom- bought new- and nearly as much for a mint condition black '67 Hagstrom Viking I (which is technically over market value but I was on a collecting spree at the time).
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Over market value now at least....those reissues really hurt the market for some reason. I remember when I first got my viking II there were some selling on ebay for over $1200.....now you're lucky to get $800 for a vintage one it seems
shae
teh koolsie

Post by shae »

The most I've ever spend on a single guitar is $800. I mod most of my instruments and don't really see the point in paying top dollar unless it's vintage and/or not easily attainable.
daphne blew krew
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

my coronado was about a grand, which is quite expensive but i wanted it badly. that's probably my limit, i don't honestly think i could justify spending more than that on a guitar (even though i've been tempted in the past).
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

The most I've spent on a guitar was $800.00.I think that's about my limit.
purplehaze19x

Post by purplehaze19x »

The most i have ever payed for a NEW guitar was somwhere around $550 (Deluxe Player Strat)
And for a used guitar, i think right around $750 for an '80's Jazzmaster.
Lifetime noob
NickD

Post by NickD »

My Mustang at £700.
suede

Post by suede »

about 600 U.S. dollar...
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the trash
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The most I have spent is on my Jaguar which was £550 new.

I would be interested in a vintage Jaguar at less than £1000 but this is below market value for anyhing with original pickups/finish etc, so I just don't think it'll ever happen.

Would I feel comfortable leaving a £1000+ Jag in our rehearsal space when going for our mid practise pint? Probably not, which is odd considering my JCM800 is £500+ and my Jaguar would cost £550 to replace, plus all those parts, time and effort in my pedals. I have a built in reservation to spending over a grand on any piece of musical equipment though, it's just the way I am.

If I'd been in the market 5 years ago I'm sure I could have got a good example for £800. No longer and probably never again. :-/
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

The most I've ever spent was £620 for my current Jaguar. I feel that that was too much, but I really wanted that guitar. I love it and don't see myself buying any other decent guitars unless it gets stolen or melts because I rock so hard on it. So nowadays I probably wouldn't pay over £200.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

i'd spend maybe 2k on a really great acoustic.
everything is not going to be alright
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

The most I've spent on a guitar is £570 for that Rickenbacker, and that was new. I don't know what my limit would be, I suppose it'd depend on my income, if I was earning a lot and had no real commitments I can't see why I'd limit myself based on some principle. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a new guitar again, just because I like them a bit worn in, and there's no real need to buy a new one I don't think, especially as they're generally cheaper. So no, my only limit is my means, which is also based on money I would have, i.e. not borrowed/on credit.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

I suppose if I had Oprah money I would just buy whatever took my fancy.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I have two. £1000 for something spectacular and around £500 for guitars that are nice but not :shock: nice. The market value also matters, and as BobAC says so does my means. The only things that have tempted me at around the £1000 limit have been a hollowbody Gretsch or a Rickenbacker bass. In both cases I didn't quite have the means and didn't see one that was quite worth it.

I think I'd be ok with paying about £800 for a Rick bass, but that's below market value for the UK so it's unlikely I'll have one unless my expendable income increases quite a lot.

Part of the problem is the waiting lists keep prices fairly inflated. You also get clowns like this...
This bass has been stripped down and is in 99.8% condition, there is a very small mark on the fretboard. You can get it fretted which is cheap to do, the side dots on the side of the neck maybe slightly out.. Just a thought.
► Show Spoiler
£800 for a bass with no parts on it, and the side dots about a fret too high.
Shabba.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

I did $850 for my Dano. The most before that was $700 for a Ric 330 (some years ago) that I resold cause I just couldn't get on with it.

I fully plan on buying a Gibson J-45 at some point, so $2000 would be about my limit.

Compared to sax players, we're all misers - they have to spend over $2k just to get something that plays in tune.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I guess I'm used to (though not happy about) having to spend more money on guitars being a lefty, but the only time I have spent what I would call "silly money" on a guitar was my recent custom made Les Paul.
I knew what I wanted and was part of the building process from start to finish and every single thing was to my specification. The result is a guitar that I am COMPLETELY happy with - something that doesn't happen often. This gem cost me £1650. Less than a Gibson LP Standard lefty...and much much better. I doubt I will spend this much ever again.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

lamp wrote:I guess I'm used to (though not happy about) having to spend more money on guitars being a lefty, but the only time I have spent what I would call "silly money" on a guitar was my recent custom made Les Paul.
I knew what I wanted and was part of the building process from start to finish and every single thing was to my specification. The result is a guitar that I am COMPLETELY happy with - something that doesn't happen often. This gem cost me £1650. Less than a Gibson LP Standard lefty...and much much better. I doubt I will spend this much ever again.
Any pics?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Search for 'custom les paul', Author 'lamp' brings up only four results.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22415
Shabba.