Can this be fixed?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Can this be fixed?

Post by deadonkey »

I've taken it to a pro repairer, and he'll do it for 500, but I can't afford that

apart from kicking the shit out of the person who did this, can I repair the guitar? I've a lot of memories attached to it
Any help appreciated

everything is not going to be alright
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

OK what the fuck. How on Earth did that happen?
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

yikes! please, no matter what, kick the shit out of the perp! that's terrible guitar abuse!
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

my dad's friend is visiting my dad with his son, son was playing with the dog and knocked the guitar from the corner where it was standing. I've had guitars in that corner for nearly 10 years and never have they even fallen. He was being careless and I'm bloody pissed off. I played my first gig with that guitar, been travelling with it. I love it.
everything is not going to be alright
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

deadonkey wrote:my dad's friend is visiting my dad with his son, son was playing with the dog and knocked the guitar from the corner where it was standing. I've had guitars in that corner for nearly 10 years and never have they even fallen. He was being careless and I'm bloody pissed off. I played my first gig with that guitar, been travelling with it. I love it.
really sorry for you dude...the friend and his son need to pay for repair or replacement. end of.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

You can get that back in order yourself but it will look raggedy unless you do the finish work.You can make it playable.Iv'e done 2 using Titebond III.Clamp it up and let it sit for a few days(I wait a week).The joint will be stronger than the original wood.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

+1.

yeah that sucks. I have had a couple broken by people back when I hosted the open mics. One they guy replaced and one the guy was a total dick about it trying to cat like it was already broken when 30 people saw hom drop it.

The family should pay for the repair/replacement.

That said, it can be hard to pressure fmaily friends on stuff like that if they do not take the initiative and offer.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
foofoo982

Post by foofoo982 »

I'd say the family should pay for a replacement at least. I don't think a repaired neck like that would ever play the same.
holyCATS1415

Post by holyCATS1415 »

you can definitely make it playable if you titebond it. it wont look as pretty anymore unless it gets refinished which would
cost $$$ and would not be worth it. but it is worth an attempt to glue back together.
kypdurron

Post by kypdurron »

it's an Epiphone ... casual damage on these guitars. It can be fixed, but 500 seems way too much. If it is well done, the guitar will not be play much differnt than before. But it will not look the same, that is true, without refinishing. Try another luthier or carpenter.
Obi Wan says: The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly.

strat-talk says: Shortscale is a crazy place. There seems to be no rules at all and they're all insane!
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

Did the $500 quote include repairing the paint and binding as well?
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

He lives in The Republic of Ireland, so that'll be €500, which is ~$715 US.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

this happened to my Epi Dot. It was more on the nut and farther down the neck though. stupid gibson style guitars (especially epis with their big headstocks).

anyway, you should be able to fix it fine. all you need is wood glue and some clamps. glue it up, but the clamps on (probably with some wood shim type stuff under the clamps so it doesn't tear shit up) and leave it for 24 hours or so. remove the clamps and sand it down and your good. at this point you can refinish it or not. whatever you want to do.

also, you want to tighten the clamps pretty tightly but not too much. it looks like the neck is made out of mahogany like mine, if you tighten it too much it will crush the mahogany. so just be careful of that.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
George

Post by George »

There's a really relevant page about this where someone talks through repairing EXACTLY the same break but on a Gibson SG bass. I'll try and find it.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

[youtube][/youtube]

Do an this.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
George

Post by George »

Actually I needn't bother, there's fucking loads that return straight away with "gibson broken headstock" on google. Looks like they use glue and clamps in no particularly special way.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

CUNT PUNT
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i would fix this for free.

ive done way harder repairs than this

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/robroe/projects/

Last edited by robroe on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you totaly lucked out that it didn't bust thru the holes that the tuners are in. that would make it a harder fix since you have to line moar shit up. doesn't look that bad at all
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

$700?!!!!!!?

haha buy a whole new one for that much. sucks it was your first gutiar though