Goodbye Supersonic... hello SG

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dub

Goodbye Supersonic... hello SG

Post by dub »

I sold my black supersonic to fund this purchase, and i will miss it. But this is a thing of beauty.

Neck through, maple and mahogany, ebony fretboard, probably from the late 70s. Currently trying to get more info from Yamaha. A little scratched, but nothing too horrible. Most of the worst is on the sides and back.

► Show Spoiler
this thing literally has sustain for days. I was noodling around last night, got a text message to let my friend into the apartment. I put the guitar down, walked down to the door, had a short conversation with him and when I got back to my room, the thing was still going... fucking ridiculous.

It arrived in tune, the tuner buttons are a bit loose but the tuners themselves are rock solid.
The guy I bought it from had it set up in C, which was fun for doomy goodness but I went back up my usual D and started fucking around with the height of the pickups. The neck is gorgeously creamy, but the bridge was a little thin, someone had lowered the screws below the top and bottom strings to tame them a little, seems the pickup's have a litle scoop to them. After mucking around for a few hours I think i got it to a place where I could get some metal muscle out of them in addition to the impossibly pretty clean sounds, the pups seemed positively restrained after being used to the chaos of the dirty fingers in my sonex, aha. Also adjusting to the painted neck might take a while, this is about as "show-y" a guitar as I can deal with.

It needs new pots for sure, the tone knobs do pretty much nothing and the volume rolls off nearly completely below 7, I think all the travel in the pots has moved to the end of their sweep... but i'm super stoked. This thing sounds amazing and can only get better.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Love it. You upgraded.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Looks really nice.
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's very pretty. I've never had the chance to play one of those but I've heard a lot of good things about them. Congrats.
skip wrote:satan rules
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

that is an awesome guitar. way cooler than a supersonic.
dub

Post by dub »

Some links jcyphe pointed out:

http://www.historicguitar.com/id23.html

http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/b ... p?AID=1191

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/ ... /sg-2.html

As the guitar has the brass block, no coil taps and isn't one of the re-badged SBG's It's from between 76-79.
The serial doesn't work on the yamaha website though, so I've sent them an email.

Here's a great brouchure image, showing the guitar's construction... mmm.

arcadedave

Post by arcadedave »

Fucking ace. Id have one over a Les Paul any day o' the week.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Really nice. I'm a big fan of these.

how is the weight? would you describe this as a rather Les Paul sounding guitar?
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Yeah, how does it balance? Neck heavy?
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

These guitars weigh even more than Les Pauls even 70's Les Pauls. You have to understand these are a pure product of the of an era where everybody wanted sustain and people were not crying about heavy guitars.

They're not neck heavy because of the neck-through construction. The weight of the guitar is balanced through out all the guitar.

This is why Les Paul hated the SG, when he was talking about it with Gibson he insisted it be a neck-through design and they didn't want to do it for production costs/ease. He ended up finding the Gibson SG to be neck heavy and a bad guitar for him and endorsed it because he had a contract, eventhough he didn't like it.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this guitar is cool

fuck SG's

(except the melody maker with the one single coil SG, that one i just want to fuck)
dots wrote:incesticide
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

There's a new one of those in a shop in Belfast. I think they want something close to £2000 for it though. It is very pretty.

In the other thread we were talking about Gibson Les Paul Double Cuts. This is what they should be. That thing's awesome.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Yamaha is making these again? awesome.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

As far as I know. I'm guessing that it's new, and I'm fairly sure it's called an SG2000 or something. It's white with gold hardware.
cur

Post by cur »

GFS sells a similar looking guitar, but yours looks far nicer. I really like yours and I am usually put off by gold hardware.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvchdocu.html
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

289 bucks

dots wrote:incesticide
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

There was also the Aria Pro II, Epiphone Genesis, Ibanez Artist (AR), Takamine GZ-300, Eko M-24, Guild M-80CS, Westbury Custom for dc fun...
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Beautiful.
Well done sir, you wont buy anything much better than this! Its in different league to the Supersonic.

Yamaha do still make SGs but as far as i am aware its just the 2000 model and its pricey. They reissued a range in the 90s, but even the MIJ models were not a patch on the quality of the old 70s/80s version.

For some vintage DC fun that wont bankrupt you these matsumoku made Hondo guitars are very decent:
Hondo

Although that one is priced high, i've seen them sell for like £70.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Here's a nice '82 Artist
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Great guitar - that was a good choice.