ya know what? Screw Gibson.

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Markn951

ya know what? Screw Gibson.

Post by Markn951 »

I've been against Gibson and their shitty-quality-for-overpriced-guitars practices, so ya know what? I'm not gonna get an SG. This is goddamn SHORTSCALE.ORG. Imma buy one of those Squier Duo-Sonic reissues and if I don't like it stock, I'm gonna mod the FUCK OUT OF IT! Sounds like a fucking plan, Stan!
aen wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:being butt fucked by a lion is better than the stock [CIJ Jaguar] bridge pup.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ok.

get rid of your sig then
dots wrote:incesticide
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

so you wish you hadn't sent that letter praising them?
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Why did this warrant a thread?

PATIENTLY AWAITING IGNORE FUNCTION.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

you realize fender is as much a rip off as gibson, right?

With the leaps and bounds in manufacturing it doesn't cost them very much at all to make a guitar, certainly not enough to warrant a 1,500 or more instrument.

You pay for the name, no more no less.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
CaptainGD

Post by CaptainGD »

Really. I'm all for fender > gibson, but they're both ripping us consumers the fuck off. Even a lot of Squier's aren't even as cheap as they should and could be, as good as they are.

And I thought Fender's whole idea was "good quality for less money." What happened?
Here's where your mother sleeps, and here is the room where your brothers were born. Indentions in the sheets, where their bodies once moved but don't move anymore.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

I just realised that Gibson are the Apple of guitars. They make really good quality guitars that people love, but they charge a premium for them and so everyone pisses and moans about how they are a rip-off and how Fenders are actually better because they are more customisable etc...

Except I prefer Fenders and Apple.
Last edited by Gavin on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

you were looking at the faded series and are now complaining about quality? could've told you before hand they suck ass.
also, this thread should've been made after you bought the duo. or not at all.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Gavin wrote:I just realised that Gibson are the Apple of guitars. They make really good quality guitars that people love, but they charge a premium for them and so everyone pisses and moans about how they are a rip-off and how Fenders are actually better because they are more customisable etc...

Except I prefer Fenders and Apple.
If Gibson are Apple, then Fender would be the equivalent of Microsoft deciding to charge more than apple does for computers with the same specs and quality while remaining the unimaginative status quo of the computer world.

But I digress.....this thread was a thought and a thought is all it should have remained. I do not make a thread for every time I consider buying a guitar or deciding not to buy one and neither should anyone else. I cannot wait for this ignore button.
STABxYOU

Post by STABxYOU »

Get an ORM-1 instead. Ibanez has crafted the perfect hybrid of an SG-X and a Fender offset.
Reece

Post by Reece »

face.
palm.

buy your stuff secondhand at reasonable prices and get on with it.
gibson and fender both have a few shining stars in the current lineup (baja tele for instance) as far as guitar for the money goes but theres alot of overpriced nonsense on both company's parts.

also your sig has an SG in it and that SG doesn't even have p90s. fix your life please.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Haha, you don't have to bear in mind what guitar sites you post on when thinking about what guitar you're going to buy. I enjoyed the few seconds that I was reminded of mrs.butterwourth, though.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:
Mityushikha

Post by Mityushikha »

It's hard to decide sometimes though what is worth posting and what isn't. On a guitar site I guess 'I'm thinking of buying a guitar' is one of those things that we don't need to know. I'd be interested to know what you think of the duo, if and when you get one.
Markn951

Post by Markn951 »

stewart wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:
no, because Epiphone's are at least somewhat reasonable when it comes to price. Gibsons are 99% unexcusable (except for the Melody Maker, which is fantasic, even for the price)
Fender is almost as bad, Jacksons went from 2 grand for a custom shop to 2 grand for a "standard" production line USA guitar.
However, they both make some fairly good products, and by the consumer end of the deal, with merchant-related discounts, or buying it used, etc, prices can become very reasonable. Maybe I shouldn't have made a full thread about it but hey, it sparked some discussion about Gibson and Fender's schenannigans. :P
aen wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:being butt fucked by a lion is better than the stock [CIJ Jaguar] bridge pup.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i have picked up at least 10 different melody makers (the new ones that come in the big orange box) and ALL of them have deadly sharp fret ends. that kind of shit is reserved for Toys R Us guitars for 60 bucks
dots wrote:incesticide
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

I like fenders and gibsons. I think they each have their pros and cons. I am planning to have guitars of all kinds of pickups and sounds, I want a humbucker guitar a single coil guitar and a p90 guitar. If you want a humbucker guitar gibsons are probably the way to go. I personally like the build and feel of gibsons more then fenders, i like their necks, tuners, headstock, and body shapes, and the feel of the body. I like the look of fender guitars more, and i also like that fender guitars are highly customizable, with bolt on necks and pickups that are simple to change out. I know there is a lot of humbucker hate on here, but I like them, I think every pickup has a different purpose. My favorite pickups are P90's but i would never have exclusivly p90 guitars, pickups are like different paint brushes to me, you need different ones for different things.

It all comes down to what YOU like in the end, and maybe thats a gibson, a fender, a gretsch, or a BC rich!
Mike wrote:Welcome to like 2005, you bleeding idiot.
Markn951

Post by Markn951 »

robroe wrote:i have picked up at least 10 different melody makers (the new ones that come in the big orange box) and ALL of them have deadly sharp fret ends. that kind of shit is reserved for Toys R Us guitars for 60 bucks
dood wtf? played 3 melody makers in my life, one of them I own, none of them have the sharp fret ends that you speak of.

Isaac thats an awesome way of putting it. I completely agree.
aen wrote:
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Markn951 wrote:
robroe wrote:i have picked up at least 10 different melody makers (the new ones that come in the big orange box) and ALL of them have deadly sharp fret ends. that kind of shit is reserved for Toys R Us guitars for 60 bucks
dood wtf? played 3 melody makers in my life, one of them I own, none of them have the sharp fret ends that you speak of.
I've played a few and agree with robroe.... all had horrible sharp frets.

I was very eager to buy one till then.....
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Reece wrote:face.
palm.

buy your stuff secondhand at reasonable prices and get on with it.
gibson and fender both have a few shining stars in the current lineup (baja tele for instance) as far as guitar for the money goes but theres alot of overpriced nonsense on both company's parts.

also your sig has an SG in it and that SG doesn't even have p90s. fix your life please.
**miked**