shaboing! silvertone

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Haze

Post by Haze »

thats a seriously cool guitar. i didn't know they made them that... beautiful. honestly the only word i can think of. i mean come on, its breathtaking!
Richard

Post by Richard »

That Silvertone is beautiful. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the headstock. It reminds me of an Ibanez RG series.
skip wrote:satan rules
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

endsjustifymeans wrote:I was just admiring this again. I really really like it.

The neck looks sweet. My friend has a silvertone and it's a proper piece of shit, but like with every company like that I think they did a few A class guitars as well. And I'd bet this is one of them.
yea, as you may know, silvertone is a Sears brand name. the guitars were contracted from many different companies over the years including danelectro, harmony and teisco. I'd really like to know who made this one.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Mr.Ripley

Post by Mr.Ripley »

mage wrote:

The neck looks sweet. My friend has a silvertone and it's a proper piece of shit, but like with every company like that I think they did a few A class guitars as well. And I'd bet this is one of them.
yea, as you may know, silvertone is a Sears brand name. the guitars were contracted from many different companies over the years including danelectro, harmony and teisco. I'd really like to know who made this one.
I'm sure that this is one of their Japanese import guitars...something that would have come out alongside Univox I imagine and not Teisco.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

Mr.Ripley wrote:
mage wrote:

I'm sure that this is one of their Japanese import guitars...something that would have come out alongside Univox I imagine and not Teisco.
That body could be straight off of a hi-flyer, yeah.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

mage wrote:

based on the parts used, i'd guess it's made by kawai. i dont know any information on that company, but they made my archtop and it has several of the same parts that this guitar uses.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
cur

Post by cur »

I am really trying to figure out a way to wheel and deal this guitar into my house. I gave my daughter my old Fernandez strat with sustainer. I am going to try and trade that in and spend some cash to make the balance. Then we would be halfzies with the guitar. Maybe it will be an investment, don't know. I really don't know how much the Fernrnandes is worth. It is in VG condition and maybe 20 yrs old. Really nice player. I am in lovez with the Silvertone. I have a VG 1964 (first year Blackface) Fender champ I could trade. But the champ is pristine and is worth more every year so I don't think I should part with it.

Tomorrow my daughter (who thinks we should deal) and I will to down there and try and snag it.

The blue Fernandes; what it worth (realistic trade).
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Mo Rawka wrote:
mage wrote:

based on the parts used, i'd guess it's made by kawai. i dont know any information on that company, but they made my archtop and it has several of the same parts that this guitar uses.
kawai = teisco
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

mage wrote:
Mo Rawka wrote:
mage wrote: yea, as you may know, silvertone is a Sears brand name. the guitars were contracted from many different companies over the years including danelectro, harmony and teisco. I'd really like to know who made this one.
kawai = teisco
Some harmonies = teisco too, no?
I swear I've seen del ray's labled as harmony before.
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I think as harmony was struggling in the 70s they contracted out to some japanese factories. before that they were all made in the USA.

I found this on the Kawai wikipedia
Kawai started building guitars in 1964 then bought Teisco in 1967 but retained the lines separately. Kawai also built guitars for Saint Lous music in the 1960s and 1970's under their brand name Apollo.
cur

Post by cur »

Doing a little research and found this. Warning - not safe for haters:

http://www.myrareguitars.com/1970guitars.html

The one I am looking at seems to be a cross between the Silvertone Morsrite (body and pup configuration) and the Silvertone Slider (same neck).
cur

Post by cur »

endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

cur wrote:Doing a little research and found this. Warning - not safe for haters:

http://www.myrareguitars.com/1970guitars.html

The one I am looking at seems to be a cross between the Silvertone Morsrite (body and pup configuration) and the Silvertone Slider (same neck).
funny... you've got the better neck design and the better body design...

sweet.