CIJ Jaguar Tremolo Bar

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

greenweenie

CIJ Jaguar Tremolo Bar

Post by greenweenie »

The tremolo bar on my CIJ Jag won't stay put. It keeps swinging around and I tried putting tape on it to make it squeeze inside the hole but I can't find tape thin enough. Any other solutions?
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

You need to push it in hard (a girl once said that to me many years ago....) If that does'nt work, the collet inside the tremolo is'nt gripping it, you may need to take the trem plate off and squeeze the collet together a little with some pliers. :wink:
greenweenie

Post by greenweenie »

Fran wrote:You need to push it in hard (a girl once said that to me many years ago....) If that does'nt work, the collet inside the tremolo is'nt gripping it, you may need to take the trem plate off and squeeze the collet together a little with some pliers. :wink:
Is it safe to do this by myself? I'm afraid I might mess up my beloved Jag.
greenweenie

Post by greenweenie »

bumpity bump.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Yeah, just try it, you cant really damage anything.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Yeh, mines pushed really far in... as far as it'll go almost. Don't be frightened.

it'll still swing... I put cellotape around the trem arm, sounds naff & a cheap resolution but it has worked great. About 1+years in and no need to re-tape or anythin.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

WHOAH!! Someone else answers a newcomers question, well done Owen. It took Joey from JS.com to answer another thread. Shortscale needs to step up its game, or maybe direct people to OSG for answers. :lol:
greenweenie

Post by greenweenie »

Thanks guys. Mine's pushed in as far as it can go and it swings with every little movement. I'll try Fran's suggestion. I really really want it to stay in place. I watch videos of The Cribs' recording their Ignore The Ignorant and Marr's Jag trem bar doesn't swing at all. I want something like that. It used to stay in place but for some odd reason, it got loose and swung around.
greenweenie

Post by greenweenie »

Hey Fran. I just did what you said and now everything's all good. If I hadn't taken off the trem plate, I wouldn't have found out that the grounding wire was already desoldered from the metal trem plate. Thanks a lot!

/edit it's also amazing how much problems that Jags have that can be solved with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
Reece

Post by Reece »

You might wanna loosen it a little bit.

For my CIJ jag, if the arm doesn't swing then it's gripping the whole thingy the collet is on (I don't know names) and mine would slowly come unscrewed over a day or two. This would lead to it falling inside and me having to grab and tighten it with a pair of pliers.

Here's a couple photos I took a while back without bothering to sort it out so you can see what I mean:

hwestman

Post by hwestman »

bend the part of the arm that goes into the collet slightly until it gets a very gentle curve. This will make it fit better and negate the need for tape...
Earth

Post by Earth »

What I used to do on CIJ Jaguar vibratos is wrap plumbers tape (a very thin non-adhesive tape available at hardware stores) around the bar until it was the right thickness then insert it into the collet, it would stay put in any position for a while then you would have to remove it and repeat the process as the tape wears out with vibrato movment.
It's not a permanent solution but it was one I was happy to live with.
greenweenie

Post by greenweenie »

Earth wrote:What I used to do on CIJ Jaguar vibratos is wrap plumbers tape (a very thin non-adhesive tape available at hardware stores) around the bar until it was the right thickness then insert it into the collet, it would stay put in any position for a while then you would have to remove it and repeat the process as the tape wears out with vibrato movment.
Cool. I'll go to the hardware today and look for plumber's tape. Thanks!
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

greenweenie wrote:
Earth wrote:What I used to do on CIJ Jaguar vibratos is wrap plumbers tape (a very thin non-adhesive tape available at hardware stores) around the bar until it was the right thickness then insert it into the collet, it would stay put in any position for a while then you would have to remove it and repeat the process as the tape wears out with vibrato movment.
Cool. I'll go to the hardware today and look for plumber's tape. Thanks!
it's sometimes called teflon tape.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Or PTFE tape