1959 Burst:The Movie!

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:
jcyphe wrote:
Mike wrote: It's sort of sad to suggest that no Les Paul manufactured since is somehow not great and not as genuine as the real deal.
I don't think most serious people suggest that at all.
Why is there only fuss over this one year, with these few guitars then? What about the 60s ones?
All the bursts are collectable. A 1958 or a 1960 is worth a boat too. So are most goldtops and customs for that matter but the bursts are the most collectable. They discontinued the Les Paul guitar because it was a poor seller and replaced it with the Les Paul SG. They started making them again in 1968-9 this is why you don't here more about 60's Les Paul because they made the burst in 1960 stopped making them until 1968-1969 when they brought back the customs and deluxe models in full force.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/lpsun.html

The 1959 was popular with a lot of the british blues guys because it had bigger fret wire than a 1958 and they used to do a lot of bending. Also there were more 59's than any other year because a lot of the 58's were gold tops.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

yikes. why would you take that out in the rain?
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

That color is so god damn perfect.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

'58s had small frets and thick neck, '60s had Slim necks and jumbo frets. The '59 was the easiest to bend on, and the Deluxes weren't thought of too highly, then we get into Norlin... There really weren't LPs just like the '59 ones for a long ass time, and you still have to pay a lot for one just like one (reissues). It's an old fashioned profile, they've always had slimmer, more tapered necks in the "standard" line.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Fair enough, I knew it was discontinued, I just didn't know it was right after 1960.

Surely people should be going apeshite for the late 60s ones also?
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

Justin J wrote:yikes. why would you take that out in the rain?
beautiful.
everything is not going to be alright
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:Fair enough, I knew it was discontinued, I just didn't know it was right after 1960.

Surely people should be going apeshite for the late 60s ones also?
Do people go as crazy about a Strat or Tele from 1969 as one from 1959. It's not a straight comparison but for the most part you see that the late 60's stuff while collectable is not as expensive as the 50's stuff which is astronomical.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I suppose, I don't really understand the Stratocaster and Telecaster market either though, I don't think an early run Telecaster is going to be far superior to one once they knew what they were doing.
finboy

Post by finboy »

didn't quite a few japanese companies pick up 59 les pauls to make clones?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

finboy wrote:didn't quite a few japanese companies pick up 59 les pauls to make clones?
nope. never happened
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:I suppose, I don't really understand the Stratocaster and Telecaster market either though, I don't think an early run Telecaster is going to be far superior to one once they knew what they were doing.
Well you know once you start talking about worth and value these are concepts that exist mostly in people's minds.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

True enough. It's just.. like.. $400,000 dollars, I mean - that is a life changing sum of money.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Interesting vids

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

I'd like to see this movie too

[youtube][/youtube]
http://solidbodiesthemovie.com/
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i wish i knew japanese. it looks like he's switching between a real les paul and a high-end navigator copy:
[youtube][/youtube]

also, if you're interested in this sort of thing, here is a four-part series from a guy who collects les pauls.
► Show Spoiler
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

jcyphe wrote:It didn't totally go out of style but in his world the lp wasn't the most hip thing dudes in those bands were playing. In the 80's in the LA scene I can imagine everybody was playing pointy guitars and trying to be like EVH and here comes Slash with a guitar that was the height of rock tones in 70's Arena Rock. I can see what Slash is talking about.
Agreed, back when Kramer was the brand to have in the shredder days.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

jcyphe wrote:
Mike wrote:
jcyphe wrote: I don't think most serious people suggest that at all.
Why is there only fuss over this one year, with these few guitars then? What about the 60s ones?
All the bursts are collectable. A 1958 or a 1960 is worth a boat too. So are most goldtops and customs for that matter but the bursts are the most collectable. They discontinued the Les Paul guitar because it was a poor seller and replaced it with the Les Paul SG. They started making them again in 1968-9 this is why you don't here more about 60's Les Paul because they made the burst in 1960 stopped making them until 1968-1969 when they brought back the customs and deluxe models in full force.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/lpsun.html

The 1959 was popular with a lot of the british blues guys because it had bigger fret wire than a 1958 and they used to do a lot of bending. Also there were more 59's than any other year because a lot of the 58's were gold tops.
Also wasn't '59 the last year with the original neck? They changed the neck profile, which is actually very popular as well, but the '59 was the last of a breed, with regards to it's particular configuration.