Silly Amp Question/reccomend some cheap/decent tubes

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

gaybear wrote:Image
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i am an artist
chisa

Post by chisa »

just disconnect everything reverb and footswitch. remember what goes where though. then add things slowly till the noises begin again. if you still get noise with everything unplugged it will probably be something in the amp, transformer, bad connection, etc, etc. could be a lot of things really. but i had a similar thing with the footswitch on my twin and i repaired it and it is ok now.
chisa

Post by chisa »

filtercap wrote:Was the loud pop while you were hitting a low note/string hard, such as a loud chord using low notes like A, G, or E?
what does that indicate BTW?
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

chisa wrote:
filtercap wrote:Was the loud pop while you were hitting a low note/string hard, such as a loud chord using low notes like A, G, or E?
what does that indicate BTW?
My 135W Twin used to do this (at high volume settings only), and I've heard a Fender Super Six (same chassis) do this too. I wish I could locate the background internetz that helped me fix this, to get the explanation straight. But as I recall, the basic idea was that the preamp was delivering more low-frequency power than the power amp could handle. Some preamps are supposedly very efficient down at/below the low end of a guitar's range, tho you don't necessarily hear this because these frequencies are near/below the speakers' low roll-off point. The power amp doesn't have this low roll-off, though, and may have to deal with a big low-freq attack spike when you really nail a low string at high vol... thereby kicking out a big painful POP.

The fix was to tweak the bass end of the tone stack so that it raised the bottom end of the amp's effective range upwards a bit. No audible loss of bass, but the popping went away at all volumes.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

so, for now, i think i'm just gonna count on the one functioning channel. and if i need grit or reverb, i'll add a pedal or two. unfortunately, it's the channel with less tone control that i'm left with.