My mustang came with Dimarzio in the bridge but.....

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Martin101

My mustang came with Dimarzio in the bridge but.....

Post by Martin101 »

My new mustang came with a dimarzio in the bridge and thier is a part of me that wants to install a stock mustang bridge pickup in it's place.

Can anyome tell me about Dimarzio pickups, and in your opinion shold I just leave it as it is?

thanks
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Dimarzio make all sorts of pickups and you're best informing yourself via their website. If there is identifying marks or serial numbers on the pickup you could look that up there.

Finally you could look into replacing with a mustang pickup - there are various ones by various manufacturers and vary in price and quality and tend to draw the usual range of opinions. Given this I would simply have a think and decide if you like the sound you get from the dimarzio. If you do, don't change it. If really curious have a search around youtube and other such places for recordings of people playing through mustang pups. Your ears should be the best test for what you want.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

I guess my opinion will depend on which DiMarzio pickup you have installed, whether I have any experience with that particular model or not and what exactly you mean by "stock mustang pickup".

As a general rule, I tend to like DiMarzios alot but I've come a cross a few that I thought sucked.
Depending on the model, stock Mustang pickups can sound pretty trashy.

If it sounds good as is though, why not leave it?
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Martin101

Post by Martin101 »

thanks guys.

yes I might just leave it.
I was just wodneirng if I was "losing" somethnig by not having a mustang bridge pickup in there, but I might not be.

Unfortunatley there is a volume drop when I engage the bridge pickup, so maybe I should get that looked at instead.

The wiring is differnt too.

The toggle switch towards the neck is bascially where I choose my pickups. All the way to the right is the neck is engaged, middle is both, and to the left would be the bridge pickup. The other toogle switch doesn't seem to do anything.
I actually like this configuaration becuase of it's simplicty.
So I might just get that volume drop checked out.

thanks
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Martin101 wrote:I was just wodneirng if I was "losing" somethnig by not having a mustang bridge pickup in there,
Yeah, your losing buzz, external noise and microphonic feedback :lol:
Srsly, it depends what kind of music you play. I use a Hot Rail in my Mustang because i like high gain, but the purists dont like that kind of thing.
If your happy with it i'd leave it. There are no rules.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Volume drop could be a lower output but chances are its unlikely someone would swap out a fender mustang pup, which is generally a low output (around 6 I think?) for a lower one, and unlikely Dimarzio even make them like that.

Most likely either the poup needs raising with the screws or you are dealing with an incorrectly wired pup - wired parrelell can do this as it did recently with my dads strat (or is it out of phase - IO foget the difference). He wired the two wires togather the wrong way to the other pup and there was the drop in volume. Redid it after i researched the issue and it corrected itself.

Google found me the answer to my dads issue so further info can be found.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Fran wrote:I use a Hot Rail in my Mustang because i like high gain, but the purists dont like that kind of thing.
I like regular not hot pickups because I like to be able to hear dynamics and nuance in my guitar sound. Dig in for Crunch and play light for Cleans.

But the Metalhudz don't like that kind of thing
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Mike wrote:
Fran wrote:I use a Hot Rail in my Mustang because i like high gain, but the purists dont like that kind of thing.
I like regular not hot pickups because I like to be able to hear dynamics and nuance in my guitar sound.
Thats a Malmsteen quote, the irony eh.

I like quite a lot of reuglar pickups myself, the Gibson 59 PAF is about the best pickup made imo. It cleans up great but will handle smooth distortion. Great tone too.
That Hot Rail and EMG are the only 'Hot' pickups i have fitted in my guitars tbh, the rest are regular PAF style, Soapbars and sinlge coils.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Black Cat Bone wrote: the poup needs raising
I knew the english added U's to words, but replacing O's now? come on! Next it'll be phoenetic. "Pewp"
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Martin101

Post by Martin101 »

I've seen some videos on youtube with stock pickups and I like it.

Steve Turner from Mudhoney uses his Mustangs stock.
Even Kurt Cobain's favorite 1969 Compeitition Mustang had the orginal pickups in it.
I wathced some vidoes of Cobain playing with and it sounded..... dare I say.... grundgy.... which is ok with me.

So I'll see.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Ah yes... But these are vintage 'stangs... The pickups on these aren't exactly comparable to say... a '65 reissue, which is where the question I posed in my earlier post takes relevance.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Addam

Post by Addam »

Martin101 wrote: Even Kurt Cobain's favorite 1969 Compeitition Mustang had the orginal pickups in it.
I wathced some vidoes of Cobain playing with and it sounded..... dare I say.... grundgy.... which is ok with me.

So I'll see.
Had a hot rail bridge pickup
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Martin101 wrote:I've seen some videos on youtube with stock pickups and I like it.

Steve Turner from Mudhoney uses his Mustangs stock.
Even Kurt Cobain's favorite 1969 Compeitition Mustang had the orginal pickups in it.
You have to take into consideration your hearing pedals that dominate any guitars sound, you could play a cheap Strat copy through a Superfuzz pedal and still sound like Steve Turner. I dont mean that to sound negative either, i love Mudhoney.

If you have a few soldering skills try a standard pickup out, you could swap it over and back no trouble. ;)
Martin101

Post by Martin101 »

oh ok

yeah that is a hottail in the bridge it looks like. I never noticed.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YyWDE_zaOs0/S ... ail-2.jpeg]
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

aen wrote:
Black Cat Bone wrote: the poup needs raising
I knew the english added U's to words, but replacing O's now? come on! Next it'll be phoenetic. "Pewp"
His poop: it needs raising. Low poop is a sign of ill health and a love of Def Leppard. Imma just worried for him is all.
weeping_moon

Re: My mustang came with Dimarzio in the bridge but.....

Post by weeping_moon »

Martin101 wrote:My new mustang came with a dimarzio in the bridge and thier is a part of me that wants to install a stock mustang bridge pickup in it's place.

Can anyome tell me about Dimarzio pickups, and in your opinion shold I just leave it as it is?

thanks
what kind of dimarzio pickup was it? yes, in my case, the dimarzio pickups was the best solution to get sustain sound, and louder output and more bas. if i change on any guitar i have it would be the dimarzio pickups...

what kind of sound do you want?
what kind of amplifier do you have?

show me a picture of youre mustang!!!