Limited '85 edition Rat

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Noirie.
YOUTH

Limited '85 edition Rat

Post by Noirie. »

Lank

Pro Co Sound wrote:When we decided to reissue a RAT pedal, we all agreed that we didn’t want to just pay lip service to the term “reissue.� That’s not the way we do things at Pro Co. Instead, we tasked ourselves with recreating the RAT – the benchmark that set the standard by which all others are measured.

We followed exact specifications, researched and found the same components, utilized the original circuit board layout, and of course, added the essential LM308 Chip. The result of our efforts is the Limited Edition ‘85 Whiteface RAT, a RAT pedal worthy of its heritage.

It’s all there, inside that ugly…that small, beautiful-ugly black indestructible steel box: “a sound as mellow as a vintage “twin�, or as bone-crushingly powerful as a battery of those famous English stacks – instantly, at any volume.�

From the sweet wail of the blues to the grinding raunch of the heaviest rock…the Pro Co Limited Edition ’85 Whiteface RAT delivers.

This isn’t just a reissue of your old RAT…

…this IS your old RAT.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
THEGREATJONZINI

Post by THEGREATJONZINI »

at a old skool price i bet!
less_cunning

Post by less_cunning »

very interesting.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Bout time. I already have an '86 Rat with the original electronics, so it's exactly like this, and honestly it remains as my favorite dirt box ever after 13 years.

I highly recommend this.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I like when companies do this sort of thing. I'm very surprised Boss hasn't done a 'classic' line and re-made a few of the pedals that go for silly money today. They'd only need to do a few hundred of each and they'd make silly money. The R&D, graphic design and mojo arrows are all already in place. All they need to do is source a few parts and get making them. I'm guessing some of the mojo arrows are there because the pedal is rare enough most people don't know what it actually sounds like so there's a little risk because of that, but it seems a fairly safe business idea. If i were in charge at Boss I'd be launching 3-6 classic pedals in as near to original format as possible, and then 3-6 modern types, maybe even revamped versions of the classic pedals with modern features.
Shabba.
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

I really like the original rat housings. Can't wait to see it.
Mike wrote:Welcome to like 2005, you bleeding idiot.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Do people rate the sound of a rat? I've honestly never tried one. Is it worth building?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

timhulio wrote:Do people rate the sound of a rat? I've honestly never tried one. Is it worth building?
The original Rat used the LM308 opamp. These went out of production (replaced by the LM318) but for some reason ProCo just switched to a different OA entirely when the cost went up.

You can still get the LM308 chips, though I've built one with a socket and swapped between the 318 and 308 and they sound identical.

The clone I made (sans tone filter and different feedback loop) uses the LM308 just like my actual Rat, and it sounds great. The later ones with the new OA do not sound nearly as good.

If you're gonna make a clone I'd suggest just getting the LM318 as it is way cheaper than the 308 and sounds the same to me.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

I think my mint RAT2 will be sold for this one. Anyone interested? :twisted:
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I love RATs but not for anything super-specific to their sound. RAT+Marshall is the key for me. Have tried it on a DI with amp models and through a Twin Reverb RI once, both utter shit.
I like the way they react with my superbass and superlead a lot. My RAT deucetone was the last distortion pedal I bought and probably the last I will buy barring consolidation to a single RAT.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

timhulio wrote:Do people rate the sound of a rat? I've honestly never tried one. Is it worth building?
i don't really like the stock rat that much, to treably. But if you reutz mod it it sounds much better, you get a really nice overdrive sound out of it. Mine doesn't have the "magic" chip, but i doubt i would fell the difference
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Bullshit. A real old school Rat needs no mod whatsoever to sound brilliant through pretty much any amp. I've used mine through shitty SS old Crates, Peaveys, Vox, and Twin RI and it sounds awesome no matter the amp, completely stock.

I hate the fact that most people's opinion of this pedal is all in relation to the shit later versions. If you have a real one it's an amazing pedal, no mods.
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

Pens wrote:
I hate the fact that most people's opinion of this pedal is all in relation to the shit later versions. If you have a real one it's an amazing pedal, no mods.
Your probably right, i was talking about the newer us made ones
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I actually really want whomever is going to NAMM this year to check it out. I really want to buy one of these fucking things just to keep as a backup or at least take my original '86 out of active use so it doesn't get broken anymore.

The battery door on mine is long gone, the original battery snap broke off and I soldered in a replacement, I've reflowed ground joints on it to keep it running. Just an amazing pedal and finally I could get a true replacement.
foll

Post by foll »

after years there's still a place for my unmodded turbo rat on the pedalboard and it was my first pedal.

I'll check this one out for sure
toez10

Post by toez10 »

I loved the sound of my 80's rat until it got stolen. I've yet to have enough money to replace it, but they're great.
less_cunning

Post by less_cunning »

i wonder how much it is going to cost.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

I'd guess $150
lank81

Post by lank81 »

Noirie,
Thanks for the LANK :). I definitely think I'm going to ditch the Rat2 for this bad boy when it comes out. Hopefully it stays under 200$. The Rat is such a legendary pedal and the new Chinese versions do no justice as they are a little harsh and muffled, IMO.
Peace & Chicken Grease
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

they should reissue the price too.
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people