SX guitars

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

pumpkin
on the road to bantown

SX guitars

Post by pumpkin »

So over lunch I went to a store here in Dublin that sells these SX guitars, they had tons of them. I went in to buy some pedals and check out the guitars... I was looking for a 335, Les Paul Jr., or anything else that might have caught my eye.

They only had one 335, they wanted €171 for but it didn't come with a hard case, and they didn't have one in the shop that it would fit into... and I really wanted a sunburst one anyway. (I could buy a sunburst Harley Benton 335 on Thomann.de with hard case for €205)

I did play a bunch of the Les Pauls by SX and I have to say, they ain't bad. Most of them had bound bodies and I believe they all had set necks. The pick ups were not good at all and sounded horrible, however if you swapped them out and the tuners as well it wouldn't be a bad guitar. I cam to the conclusion though that my money would be better spent builfing my own guitar from a kit.

The Eiphones in the same price range all had bolt on necks and thicker bodies.

Sadly, they didn't stock any of the Fender copies, I really wanted to try out them and some of the funkier SX stuff.
toez10

Post by toez10 »

I've always wanted to stop into a shop that carried SX guitars, just to try a bunch of them out. I'm a little envious
Haze

Post by Haze »

I wish someone local to me had these guitars. I hear they're great for the low price and i've only had the chance to play a tele styled one. Great guitar, felt and sounded like a tele should!

I'd be keen on picking up a les paul styled one, especially the Agile ones are really good sans pickups. They come with Grovers which is great considering most epiphones dont
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Haze wrote:I wish someone local to me had these guitars. I hear they're great for the low price and i've only had the chance to play a tele styled one. Great guitar, felt and sounded like a tele should!

I'd be keen on picking up a les paul styled one, especially the Agile ones are really good sans pickups. They come with Grovers which is great considering most epiphones dont
None of the SX ones I played had grovers, just so you know. If you want I'd pick you up an SX Les Paul and sell it back to you at cost.

They didn't have any Agiles int he shop, just that SX brand. I notice the Pauls I was looking all looked like proper Pauls, e.g. the cutaway wasn't rounded down.
Haze

Post by Haze »

They tend to vary from model to model.
ImageImage

I quite like that SX does some goofy models just for good times
ImageImage
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Haze wrote:They tend to vary from model to model.
ImageImage

I quite like that SX does some goofy models just for good times
ImageImage
Like the Les Pauls I played had the exact Les Paul body shape, I found this picture of the one I played... but the one I played was a gold top

pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

I went in looking for one of these

There's another shop, a bigger one, that stocks them as well. I will go out tomorrow and see if I can find one
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

They're not terrible, but you get what you pay for. I had an SX P/J bass, it was great at first. But a few months later the neck was warped. I got a Mighty Mite neck for it, put some SD Quarter Pounders in it and installed a Badass III bridge, now I gig with it :)
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

If they get in any of those 24"strats lemme know dude.... Not the ones with the shart headstocks though!
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

For cheap 335s its worth checking THESE out. Rave reviews on HC, well under £150, set neck, good finish, etc.
I should'nt but i keep glancing at the Freeport ...

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Here's a demo of the freeport in shexshy blue and nother one installed with (highly recomended) Catwhisker pickups:
[youtube][/youtube][youtube][/youtube]
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Fran wrote:For cheap 335s its worth checking THESE out. Rave reviews on HC, well under £150, set neck, good finish, etc.

Fuckshitpiss, those semi Tele's are bonerific. Even the headstocks are nice, although the logo is a bit poo.

Looks like they're going for sub-£60 prices at auction. Really, really like that sunburst version.

Brandon W wrote:you elites.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Fran wrote:For cheap 335s its worth checking THESE out. Rave reviews on HC, well under £150, set neck, good finish, etc.

Well fuck,now I want the tele...

Off to eBay now
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Black Cat Bone wrote:If they get in any of those 24"strats lemme know dude.... Not the ones with the shart headstocks though!
I will
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Auction is the way to go dudes - got my wesley Acrylocaster for about 60. If anyone gets a tele post a review as I might dew it one day
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

nwordjim wrote:
Black Cat Bone wrote:If they get in any of those 24"strats lemme know dude.... Not the ones with the shart headstocks though!
I will
Thanks mate specifically this type:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THEYVE GASHED UP THE HEADSTOCK ON IT the Ca-hUNTZ

okay then thisun will do:

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Black Cat Bone wrote:If anyone gets a tele post a review as I might dew it one day
+1.
I'm restraining myself... for now, although i feel i need a cheap sweetener for letting my Toronado go yesterday.

Lol @ them videos, the guys can play its just the characters you see on Youtube. On the subject of Wesley and videos i found a video of myself in 20 years time :lol: ...

[youtube][/youtube]
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Black Cat Bone wrote:
nwordjim wrote:
I will
Thanks mate specifically this type:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THEYVE GASHED UP THE HEADSTOCK ON IT the Ca-hUNTZ

okay then thisun will do:

I can get any of these sir.

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/Manufactu ... 27&cid=278
Fran wrote:
Black Cat Bone wrote:Lol @ them videos, the guys can play its just the characters you see on Youtube. On the subject of Wesley and videos i found a video of myself in 20 years time :lol: ...
That's me in 10 years :(
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Fran wrote:
Black Cat Bone wrote:If anyone gets a tele post a review as I might dew it one day
+1.
I'm restraining myself... for now, although i feel i need a cheap sweetener for letting my Toronado go yesterday.

Lol @ them videos, the guys can play its just the characters you see on Youtube. On the subject of Wesley and videos i found a video of myself in 20 years time :lol: ...

[youtube][/youtube]
OMG J MASCIS ENDORSES WESLEY?!
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

nwordjim wrote:I can get any of these sir
OOh cool! Where's .ie? Is that a shop near you? Okay I'll be up for that within a couple maybe 3 months for sure. Might need to sell some stuff first!