Questions about warmoth.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

chrismakesgod

Questions about warmoth.

Post by chrismakesgod »

I just sat and priced parts from warmoth for a jaguar and i came to a grand total of £440.50 for the body neck hardware etc.

What i wanted to ask is how much would it cost on average for a luthier to build it up for me? And what is the the quality of warmoth hardware / wood / build?

Thanks.
Haze

Post by Haze »

at that price you should check out the classic player jaguars or even mij jags. I'm not too sure how much they go for in the UK but in the states you can pickup an AVRI for around a grand [£620] if you look long and hard enough

another thing to know is that warmoth's jag bodies will only take their jag pickguards and hardware
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

Do you know of any stores in the UK that stock Japanese fenders? I did have a look but i couldnt find any. I only found one in japanese, and i'm hardly what you could call fluent... :P

Thanks.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

ebay bro.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
crofty

Post by crofty »

Corax-rg wrote:Do you know of any stores in the UK that stock Japanese fenders? I did have a look but i couldnt find any. I only found one in japanese, and i'm hardly what you could call fluent... :P

Thanks.
i got my MIJ jag from a uk shop.
sick as pie.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

I forgot to mention its an online store im looking for. This is due to the face i would need to get a train through to the nearest big city, and i would not be bringing a guitar back on the train. :P

EDIT: I just had a look on ebay, that should have been obvious.
Mustang Melx

Post by Mustang Melx »

Corax-rg wrote:Do you know of any stores in the UK that stock Japanese fenders? I did have a look but i couldnt find any. I only found one in japanese, and i'm hardly what you could call fluent... :P

Thanks.
yeah, they are everywhere.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-62- ... red--40961

http://www.imusician.co.uk/acatalog/fen ... m=00047814

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba ... le-Red/AEC

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electri ... ric_guitar
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

I feel stupid now. I guess im blind. Thanks alot. :)
Mustang Melx

Post by Mustang Melx »

Corax-rg wrote:I feel stupid now. I guess im blind. Thanks alot. :)
:lol:

I just googled 'fender japan jaguar' in 'shopping' 8)
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

It depends what you want. If you're just building something similar to what you can buy from Fender anyway, it isn't going to be very cost effective. If you want something more custom it can be worthwhile.

Also consider that you'll have shipping and customs charges on top of that £440.50 and it will work out significantly more when you take into account all the details. Did you look into switches and all that jazz? The jag roller pots can be quite expensive.
Shabba.
Johno

Post by Johno »

£510 is cheapest net i've found with a quick search, http://www.petercooks.co.uk/gtrfen.php

you are prolly better off picking one up second hand average abot £300 - £350
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

That figure included everything i would need besides tuning pegs. And i went with warmoth because i really like all natural jags with maple necks, and i dont have any experience stripping paint and i would probably buy the wrong scale neck.

But i guess i could live with sunburst and rosewood. :)
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

Keep in mind the Warmoth Jag bodies are not to spec with actual Jag bodies. They will NOT work with Jag pickups unless you want to fill in the wood they take out. Warmoth will only do a pickguard mounted rout, not a pickup to wood rout on the Jags. Another thing they do that drives me crazy is the will not do a B&B shortscale neck!

Here is the Warmoth Jag build I did a while back: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
“I need to take a piece of wood and make it sound like the railroad track, but I also had to make it beautiful and lovable so a person playing it would think of it in terms of his mistress, a bartender, his wife, a good psychiatrist - whatever.� Les Paul
crofty

Post by crofty »

in the uk? ill sell you mine.
sick as pie.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Second hand and refin boyo!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I'd say plump for the real thing for the resale value, unless you're getting the Warmoth one customised in a way you couldn't mod a Fender.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

matocaster - That is a cracking jag! I think i'd sell an organ for that.

crofty - How much would you be looking for and are you based? England or Scotland?

Well i have decided my Epiphone Les Paul will be getting sold so i can just go for a Fender.
crofty

Post by crofty »

i am england.
we can negotiate a price.
sick as pie.