Bronco Help

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

jgray

Bronco Help

Post by jgray »

Hey all. So I have been an avid follower of the forums for a while now but have just recently bought a '78 Bronco. Got it for a steal of $150. Black on black, all original. Bought from the original owner but the pup dates to 71 and the pots to 69. Crazy. Of course the evil trem trolls have got my trem arm. Also it had a modified strat looking saddle for the "A" position. I know that anything for these are not to come by but does anyone have a lead on where to find a saddle or another full set that would match up? Also, can anyone help me figure out how to make the trem playable? Its missing the bushing as well, and having never seen one in person, I don't really have a clue where to start. Is there any bridge conversion for the bronco? I would love to go hardtail, but not to sure what would match up. Is there any way to hard mound the bridge like you would a trim block in a strat? Hopefully pics to come and thanks for the help.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

the trems on the bronco are pretty stable if you want to just pretend it's a hardtail. as for parts, i remember dodgedartdave bought a bunch of surplus bronco bridges several years ago, but he doesn't post here anymore. and they didn't have the bushing. i'm not sure why those seem to go missing so often. mustang arms will fit if you have the bushing, otherwise you'll just have to wait until a complete assy shows up on ebay. i don't recommend converting to a hardtail as it would require severe modifications to the guitar. for the $150 you paid, i wouldn't complain about lack of trem usage.
Pullover

Post by Pullover »

There is one screw that goes into the base plate with a spring underneath. If you place a stack of washers/or a large washer made out of wood in between the top plate and the base plate on that screw you'll block it from tilting back. Leave the spring on the bottom and tighten the screw up; that will keep it from tilting forward and the spring will act as a lock washer.
jgray

Post by jgray »

Thanks. I like the washer idea. I was just thinking of anything to help sustain since the trem is pretty much useless without the bushing. There is an entire bridge on ebay right now for $250, but thats more than I have in the whole guitar, plus no trem arm...Are there any aftermarket or other saddles that would match up? I know an original is the way to go if it ever shows up, but for time being I was thinking of getting a complete set of something for uniformity and consistency.
clarkbar

Post by clarkbar »

if you go non-trem route wouldnt an aftermarket duo bridge work? may have to drill some holes but hey its cheaper.
yes, thats clark...like the candybar...
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i don't think a duo bridge would work. there's a pretty sizeable hole underneath that tremolo plate on broncos.
jgray

Post by jgray »

Another question about my bridge.. Are the strings suppose to be a half pole piece off all in one direction? The only fenders I know are strats (':oops:') It seems my bridge was drilled just a cm high or something? If I could find something with a big mounting plate I wouldn't mind covering up the routing. I just dont want to get into plugging holes and refinishing, I like the black that has worn a bit grayish.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

A steal! Pics?
Yell Like Hell
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I'd wait for a bridge to pop up for a reasonable price on ebay. I bought one for my bronco project a couple years ago, and I think I only paid $75 for the whole assembly... minus a trem arm.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

hey there! pics would be cool to see what you need... i do have some bronco saddles, in case that's what you need.

yes a mustang trem arm should work, and you tighten it with that little screw on the side.
i recently got myself an AVRI jazzmaster that came with the "short" trem arm, fits like a glove. try to get one of these!

about setting the thing up, yes it's a PITA but play around with it and you'll get the feel for it, it's really not THAT complicated.
also, check out my bronco demo video, just so you see/hear how the trem should work.

[youtube][/youtube]

lemme know if i can somehow help, but please post pics!

welcome aboard!

Pat.
my name is Pat.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

ahh now i see, it's also missing the whole bushing. DAMN why did people do that?! mine was also missing it but i was lucky enough to get one from a friend for free (the whole bridge plate - thus me having some "extra" saddles)! :D

maybe... a jag/jazzmaster trem bushing/colette would work? :?:
good luck,

Pat.
my name is Pat.
jgray

Post by jgray »

Thanks for the help... Pat, please pm me about the saddle, i defiantly do need one.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

That's about the price I paid for my Mustang!
jgray

Post by jgray »

The best part was it was no money out of pocket. I traded a 98 MIM partscaster that I had been using to learn refinishing and relicing on for it heads up and only had maybe $150 in that guitar all material included. I figured I got my money back in the bounds that I learned in painting, sanding, electronic work, fitting, ect...
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

DGNR8 wrote:Pics?
jgray

Post by jgray »

yea yea.. gotta register for photobucket or something.. not to savvy with the pic posting
plesiosaurus

Post by plesiosaurus »

jgray wrote:yea yea.. gotta register for photobucket or something.. not to savvy with the pic posting
i like imgur

http://imgur.com/
jgray

Post by jgray »

ok lets see if this worked...

ok lets see if this worked...
______

edit - you need to do them in this sort of format, I also put them inside a spoiler tag because they're quite large.

James

Code: Select all

[img]http://imgur.com/Bpge8.jpg[/img]
► Show Spoiler
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

God. That is the hottest guitar I've ever seen. It's a dark green color?! That's so amazing. That's what I'm painting the Bronco I one day build.

EDIT: NVM, I just reread where you said it was black. It looks dark green in that one pic though, and I'm still gonna dew that.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

my '78 mustang is the same black dark green. it's from decades of nicotine worked into the finish.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...